Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locatel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
A friend of mine bought a MacBook Core Duo 6 months ago. Last week it turned off for no reason and since then, it turns itself off everytime you turn it on. You have to turn it on for 4 or 5 times repeatedly, untill it finally stays on. Anyone out there have had this kind of problem? What's going on? Please help.

[Moderator note: three threads merged.]

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
Just to ensure all bases are covered, has he installed all of the updates from Software Update? Some of the earlier MacBooks have a problem where they shutdown randomly, but it was "fixed" with an update.

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
This was a common defect in the Rev A Macbooks. Mine had it fairly early on. I had my logic board replaced under warranty, but since then, Apple has released a firmware update that is supposed to prevent the shutdown from happening even without the repair. Have your friend download and install all the latest updates in Software Update. If that doesn't fix it, then take it in for repair.

Kalns

macrumors regular
May 16, 2006
They need to send it in or take it to an Apple store. I had the same problem in October. I can't recall what it was that caused it but the problem is known as intermitent shutdown I believe.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
They need to send it in or take it to an Apple store. I had the same problem in October. I can't recall what it was that caused it but the problem is known as intermitent shutdown I believe.

it's called Random Shutdown Syndrome (RSS)

jakeguy99

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2007
Same problem

I had the same problem, and i even updated it. The update worked for about a week, but then the same problems started happening again. If you can not send it back to apple at all costs then all you have to do is hold down the power button. Hold it down until you hear a horrible beep, then it will start up a bit slower but it will not shut off. Overall you need to basically get it sent in and fixed properly.

Locatel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
Ok, the MacBook has been updated...guess what? Now it doesn't turn on anymore. When I press the start button it makes the usual "tchammmm" but the screen doesn't light up. The standby light stays on steadly (not glowing) and after 30 seconds it makes a short "chirp" sound. Any more ideas? I guess I'll have to send it in...

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
This issue is caused due to a piece of tape that is placed above a wire instead of below it on the heat pipe. Strangely enough, that is the cause of this massive issue.

I had the problem on my MacBook Pro and after being refused AppleCare I took it into my own hands... and yep, moving the piece of tape has fixed the issue for the past five months.

It's probably a better idea to take it to your local Apple store or send it into AppleCare if you're still under warranty (so that you stay under warranty) but if you've done some "upgrades" like I have it's an easy fix.

4nr-

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
Göteborg, Sweden
This issue is caused due to a piece of tape that is placed above a wire instead of below it on the heat pipe. Strangely enough, that is the cause of this massive issue.

I had the problem on my MacBook Pro and after being refused AppleCare I took it into my own hands... and yep, moving the piece of tape has fixed the issue for the past five months.

It's probably a better idea to take it to your local Apple store or send it into AppleCare if you're still under warranty (so that you stay under warranty) but if you've done some "upgrades" like I have it's an easy fix.

I thought rss was a purely macbook problem, and was fixed for everyone by a firmware update.

Locatel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2006
The End

Final chapter: Logic board had to be replaced (under warranty :) ).
Everything back to normal.

maytsang

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2006
England
I've also had this RSS problem after using my macbook for 11 months, took it to apple store yesterday and they weren't sure what the problem was but said they would replace the logic board and heat sink.
They said it would take 5-7 days but to my surprise, they rung me today and said it was ready to be collected! They also changed the trackpad cover and keyboard because of discolouration which was nice of them. Altogether it would of cost £600 but luckily it was under warrantly.

Started using my laptop when i got back home and the random shut down is still happening! I then noticed that it seems to happen only when the laptop is running on battery power, so at the moment i am testing the macbook on a different battery to see if it will shut down randomly again.

So far it seems to be ok, so it seems that the battery was causing all the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.