Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi, my hard drive is partitioned in two, and on one partition, it keep all my photos, and in this partition, all the photos werer in kessy files, with names like dcim china, dcim flight, dcim london, etc, and to make things neater, i made a folder called photos and dragged and dropped all my pictures into it, and i made another file called, with the aim of calling it 'other' to put the rest of my files in. However, before I could rename it, the computer renamed the file 'pictures'. Now i had two fiile, both identical, containing the same files. then, i closed the window, and reopened it, in an attept to make the computer see sense, but then the folders had emptied themselves.

My partition says it has 28gb left, on a 150gb partion, but contains only 60gb of data. How do I get my data back? I have tried validating and repairing, and a restart.

I just tried creating new flders with names identical to those that had been moved, to no avail. The computer treats the names wierdly, renaming a nearby folder to the same name, so I have more dulplicate, identical folders, but now empty.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Jesus's harddrive ate his photos.:eek:

try use terminal to se if you can see anything.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
I accidentally deleted about 6 GB of photos earlier this year and used Data Rescue II to get them back. The deleted file scan took about 1/2 an hour and retrieved about 4 GB worth. The thorough scan took 1 1/2 weeks and retrieved the rest. Good luck.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
The thorough scan took 1 1/2 weeks and retrieved the rest. Good luck.

Is that a typo? Yikes. :eek:

Do you have a backup? If not, and I was in your position, I'd buy a copy of Tech Tool Pro / Data Rescue II ASAP and don't use your machine a lot otherwise the system could possibly write data to areas where your photo data is in limbo .... or perhaps not because it's a partition (?) I'm not sure on that but I wouldn't risk it anyway.

Those Data Recovery apps are usually well laid out and straight forward to use.

Good luck! (Backup!)

Bwebb

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006
New England
But what caused the problem to begin with. Is it the drive, or something to do with the "renaming" of the folders? If it was the renaming, why can't you rename the folders?

Just wondering if you have figured it out.

Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.