Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmacuser13

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
The new airport express has only 3 wired ethernet connections. I was going to get one, but I already have four wired devices (mac mini, NAS, Networked laserprinter, and another computer). Can I attach a simple linksys switch to one of the ethernet jacks to increase my available number of connections?

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
Airport to Hub

The new airport express has only 3 wired ethernet connections. I was going to get one, but I already have four wired devices (mac mini, NAS, Networked laserprinter, and another computer). Can I attach a simple linksys switch to one of the ethernet jacks to increase my available number of connections?

Shouldn't be a problem. I have an Airport Extreme basestation (round) and I have it hooked up to a 4-port hub. Everything works perfectly.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003

Yup. I got a Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch for my Mac Pro and a networked RAID array, so I can get extra speed, without having to replace my Linksys. But it looks like I might replace the Linksys with the 802.11n Apple router, and just leave the gigabit switch in place.

logandzwon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007

You could get rid of the NAS since the new AE can do that functionality itself, and/or if the networked laser printer has USB, plug that into the new AE and let it handle the sharing.

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Yup. I got a Netgear 5-port Gigabit switch for my Mac Pro and a networked RAID array, so I can get extra speed, without having to replace my Linksys. But it looks like I might replace the Linksys with the 802.11n Apple router, and just leave the gigabit switch in place.

So, where are you getting your DHCP services from?

dukeman

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
So, where are you getting your DHCP services from?

As long as the Nas and Mac are set to static IP's the switch has no need to pass the data from the nas to the router to the system, it will just go from the nas to they system at "1gb speed". The only stuff hitting the router will be web requests and such from the mac, and once they hit your cable or dsl modem they will only be going <10mb anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.