Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eb6

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
My brother in law got a 5g ipod for xmas and has babied it but managed to get a few small scratches right in the middle of the screen. They are only visible when the screen is on. Before he buys some cheapo scratch remover I thought I'd ask the experts for their advice.

So...any advice on a scratch removal system?? Thanks in advance.

fivetoadsloth

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
No, but i dnt tihnk it can do any harm, id try it.

Search the forums it has been discussed before. Ill link if i see one.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Can anyone second the toothpaste thing?

well I haven't actually tried it on an iPod, but I have on other anodized aluminum products. and a tennis racquet...

edit: oops 5g ipod (i was thinking the new nanos). but I think it should still work.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
My brother in law got a 5g ipod for xmas and has babied it but managed to get a few small scratches right in the middle of the screen. They are only visible when the screen is on. Before he buys some cheapo scratch remover I thought I'd ask the experts for their advice.

So...any advice on a scratch removal system?? Thanks in advance.

Brasso! In the uk thats what it is called! Yep thats the stuff that shines brass!

Worked a treat on mine!

susannahyork

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2005
toothpaste

Toothpaste will work on the plastic face, or a watch face. If your trying to take scratches out of the metal back, then no, don't use toothpaste.

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
Well I use a micromesh kit designed for polishing scratches off aircraft plexiglass windshields, but only because it is readily available to me. Might be cost prohibitive to buy it just for one iPod.

PS it also removed every single hint of a scratch and made my iBook shine like new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.