Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewamzn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
Is there anyway to get itunes to continue updating podcasts even if I haven't listened to them?

iBrandi

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
If I understand the question correctly you should be able to subscribe to the podcasts from iTunes and it d/l's all the new podcasts once they are available. You can go to preferences and set the frequency that iTunes checks for new podcasts. I usually have it check once a day. I have several that I have not listened to yet but it still d/l's the new ones.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
If I understand the question correctly you should be able to subscribe to the podcasts from iTunes and it d/l's all the new podcasts once they are available. You can go to preferences and set the frequency that iTunes checks for new podcasts. I usually have it check once a day. I have several that I have not listened to yet but it still d/l's the new ones.

If you don't listen to a given podcast for a while iTunes will stop downloading new episodes. I have a number of podcasts like this that I want to listen to occasionally, but iTunes thinks I must not liek them anymore. I don't have a workaround except to either listen to a bit of an episode now and then or to manually find the poscasts that have been disabled and tell iTunes to update them manually once in a while.

B

iBrandi

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2007
Oh. I didn't know that. I guess I listen to them often enough to keep them downloading. Does it erase it entirely from the podcasts? Or would be be able to hit unsubscribe and then subscribe again to start the process over?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Oh. I didn't know that. I guess I listen to them often enough to keep them downloading. Does it erase it entirely from the podcasts? Or would be be able to hit unsubscribe and then subscribe again to start the process over?
It just stops updating them and puts an exclamation point next to them. It does allow you to resume updating them without subscribing again if you right click on the podcast heading and hit "Update Podcast". Any episodes that are no longer available will be missed.

B

matthewamzn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2004
The problem is I usually use front row to listen to podcasts. But I never know if I'm listening to the latest episode. To make sure it's the latest episode I have to log into itunes and make sure it didn't stop updating. It's just really annoying that's all. I'd like to decide if I'm bored with a podcast rather than itunes deciding for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.