Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
nj
I'm wondering whether there are any Mac-dedicated open-source programmers at macrumors.com. I'm using a Mac at home, and I love it for various reasons, but I'd never consider it as a system I'd write open source software for. One reason is that there are not many people who'd be able to use my software, and the second reason is that the Mac (and that's a personal opinion) isn't really an "open system" (i.e., hardware support is restricted, etc.). How do you fellow programmers think about this?

Retired
May 16, 2006
I know Tominated has a browser...

I think that Windows has a huge amount of duplicate software, so if you had a good open-source mac peice of software that includes useful features that are not already present in other softwares, more people would use it. Maybe try and find a Windows app that is good but without a mac alternative for a start...

semaja2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2005
Adelaide
Well i make open source applications for Mac, its a great platform to develop for and your applications get out there with less effort.

MultiAlarm was designed as a open source and free alternative to iAlertU and InsomniaX was designed for the same reason.

It is my own mission to create a open source alternative to a product that costs money and does not have a alternative, this may sound like im stealing ideas or being cheap but i believe in open source.

bronxbomber92

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2006
I'm somewhat open-source. I haven't made anything that is really worth releasing to the public. I do intend to release most my work as open-source, but that won't be for a little while :p

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Cool, I didn't know you came here :p... How can I download ChatKit btw? I see the site seems to be a WIP, so the downloads page isn't up :p

Sadly, ChatKit bit the dust a few months ago. There was only one person who had time to really work on it a lot (not me; I just helped out with the test client), and he got pretty burned out.

Retired
May 16, 2006
Wow.. thanks a lot for Adium (don't know the other stuff, and since I don't know it, I probably don't need it :D )

I'm fairly sure you have a use for WebKit...

And Adium rulez (thats right, it deserves a z at the end)

mbabauer

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2006
There are tons of OSS for OS X, and I only see it expanding as more and more people take the plunge. I haven't personally wrote anything for Mac-only, but thats just because I haven't gotten time to really sit down and do anything.

I think you will find, though, that the openness of the hardware has nothing to do with the software. Underneath its all Unix still, and Unix has in the past been a breading ground for some really awesome OSS projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.