Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
hey

i was wondering if there's any way to get wma files to play on itunes? is there any programs out or something?

thanks

You have to convert it to MP3 or AAC or something that your iPod can play. iTunes will do this for most files, except protected WMAs, which you will have to find another way to decrypt those (discussion of which is probably not allowed on this forum).

jensepollense

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2007
Virginia Tech/Blacksburg, VA
yea i bought a cd from best buy and there were two bonus tracks for download but it said it isn't compatible with macs so i had my friend who has a pc download them and then send them to me. they are protected wma files and wanted to see if there was an easy (and legal) way to somehow get them to play on itunes...
but i guess not:(

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
They are protected wma files and wanted to see if there was an easy (and legal) way to somehow get them to play on itunes...
but i guess not:(

Morally I'd say it was OK to use other means ;).

EDIT: Even if you did convert them they'd sound really bad anyhow as you'd be converting one lossy format to another.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
EDIT: Even if you did convert them they'd sound really bad anyhow as you'd be converting one lossy format to another.

That's very much a subjective statement. I convert lossy formats to lossy formats all the time and don't hear a difference, especially if the original file is fairly high quality. I have pretty crappy hearing, though, with significant high frequency hearing loss, so that's a big part of it. In any case, try it out for yourself and see how YOU think it sounds - don't just let "audiophiles" on the internet tell you that "it's going to sound really bad".

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
That's very much a subjective statement. I convert lossy formats to lossy formats all the time and don't hear a difference, especially if the original file is fairly high quality.

Well wma's converted to AAC by iTunes sound noticeably worse than the originals on £300 Dell Laptop speakers, I imagine both are encoded at 128kbps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.