Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Hi, first-time-poster, long-time-MacRumor-reader.

Background: I've been programming for the last 8 years, but it's been mainly web stuff and C++ or Java tools. I once tried my hand at writing a full-blown Cocoa application with a Java code backing, but I didn't get too far because of some Objective-C-only features.

Program I Want to Write: I've been collecting coins for the last ~12 years, and there is no good (or any) cataloging program out there for the Mac (neither OS9 or OSX). Everything I do is kept in an Excel (shudder) spreadsheet, but I've reached a point in my collecting where that's just not working anymore.

So I would like to write a program that would actually have an interface similar to the "Cookbook" application that's being developed over there at mydreamapp.com . I'd like to have an iTunes-like column on the left that has various types of collections that you could drang-and-drop any coin into, a main window with many different fields for various information, an imagewell where an image of the coin could be dropped into, and a printing feature that would set up a text document with selected information to print (such as different information for insurance purposes vs. one to show a potential buyer).

However, with my limited experience in this area, I'm sort of at a loss of where to begin. I'm pretty sure I'd need to learn Objective-C for this, which I'm not opposed to doing, and I know that I'd probably need to learn how to interface with a database, or at least how to randomly access an ASCII text file to store the information in.

Based upon the project I've described, can anyone recommend either (a) what types of technologies I need to look into, and/or (b) a book or online source(s) that would specifically address how to create this type of project?

I know it's a tall order, but I'd appreciate any help here!

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
You need to learn Cocoa. Cocoa features all technologies you will ever need for that kind of program (and not only that), including saving-loading of images and text using Cocoa's built-in features.

You need to learn Obj-C first, then move on to learn the Cocoa API. Books I recommend:

Programming in Objective C
Cocoa programming in OS X
Learning Cocoa with Objective C
Cocoa Programming (This book is HUGE but it is a good reference)

Actually, most of these books will surely get you started with ObjC and Cocoa. But remember: ADC Library is your friend. Some of the technologies like CoreData and Cocoa Bindings are best explained in there. But with the books you will have a good startup point.

Also not that since you know C++, you don't have to abandon it. You can mix it with ObjC using XCode and write your programs in Objective C++.

Blurg

May 3, 2005
Yes I would second the above poster and recommend "Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X" and also "Programming in Objective-C". Just work through the Objective-C book until you're comfortable enough with the syntax to start in on the Cocoa book, and then you can refer back to the Objective-C book as you go.

astrostu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Thanks guys for the book advice. I've looked through a few and I got those ot of the library here, but some flips through don't really offer much help in the way of the GUI. Any idea where I can figure out how to do something like the iTunes interface? It seems to be copied so much these days but I can't seem to find anyone who tells how they did it.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Thanks guys for the book advice. I've looked through a few and I got those ot of the library here, but some flips through don't really offer much help in the way of the GUI. Any idea where I can figure out how to do something like the iTunes interface? It seems to be copied so much these days but I can't seem to find anyone who tells how they did it.

To get the exact look of iTunes you have to use a kit to make it look that way. Apple hasn't provided an interface like iTunes but we suspect that one will be released with Leopard and XCode 3.0. There are a few kits out there that have made it to try and look like iTunes, search around the forums. I started a thread about one. or that, but yeah search the forums and use the interface that someone has designed with that intent. Also if you want to do the column styling there's more coding you have to divulge into. So I suggest using Apple's ADC resource to learn how to alter specific elements of an application. use those books and they will greatly help you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.