Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffettfan33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Arlington, VA
I've looked through some of the sites that are on the "Using and Finding Mac Fonts" guide, and have not found what I'm looking for, so I am hoping some of MR's Font Gods can give me a hand.

I am creating advertisements for a literacy fundraising event program and one of the ads was bought by a local business that crushes cars. So I am trying to find a font that looks crushed, similar to the way a crushed car looks.

I would also be open to using a tool/program that could create the same effect. However, I don't want to spend a lot of time creating it or learning how to use the software, as this is just 1 of the 20 ads I have to create.

I feel like I have seen something like this before, but I might just be imagining things.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help!

buffettfan33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Arlington, VA
Thank you all for your quick responses!

You could use Illustrator to manipulate a typeface you already have..

I am somewhat familiar with Illustrator, but I don't think I am comfortable enough with it to start editing fonts, as this does not seem like it would be an easy task. Out of curiousity, can you open .otf files in Illustrator? I don't have it installed on my laptop to be able to check.

I have seen that but....here are a few other ideas
http://www.cool-fonts.com/smash.htm
http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/coolfonts/smash/

You may be able to use those and manipulate them in PS.

I had seen that "smash" font in my search, and was excited by its name, but unfortunately it's not really what I'm looking for. :(

Sidewalk might be a good choice, and it's free! Can't remember where I found it:(

I found "sidewalk" on myfonts.com but it's not really what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion though!

To clarify, I am looking for a font that looks smashed/crushed horizontally, and preferably would be a "cartoony" looking font. Click Here to see what I mean by "cartoony." Note that I am not looking for a font that looks like the one in the link, but am looking for a smashed/crushed font in that same "cartoony" genre of fonts.

Let me know if any of this makes sense, because after this many hours of work, there is a good chance it doesn't.

buffettfan33

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Arlington, VA
http://blambot.com
http://comicbookfonts.com

Adjusting the spacing between each letter might offer some promising options.

Still unsure about what you are looking for:eek:

This might be one of those situations where you'll need to modify an existing font in illustrator.

Thanks for those sites! I would have never thought to look at comic book fonts. While neither of those sites had the font that I have pictured in my head, the Blambot site did have two fonts, Fat Stack and Ultra Violent, that are getting towards what I am looking for.

I have been looking around the web trying to find a site that is using a similar font to give as an example, but have had no success thus far.

I'm begining to think I'm going crazy... :rolleyes:

joseyh

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
having a SIMILAR PROBLEM

I'm in the same boat! I had to reload my system and lost a font named "CRACKED". it probably came w/ some 3rd party software, but i cant locate it. I also tried many font sites w/ no luck. This is a big problem because I used the font in my logo design. Is anyone familar w/ this font?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I'm in the same boat! I had to reload my system and lost a font named "CRACKED". it probably came w/ some 3rd party software, but i cant locate it. I also tried many font sites w/ no luck. This is a big problem because I used the font in my logo design. Is anyone familar w/ this font?

iLife comes (or used to come) with a font named Cracked, which is a renamed House Industries Crackhouse. Is that the one? If not, it would help to post a sample, because names like that get used over and over again.

joseyh

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2007
Thanks, i've got the font. Actually, i already had it a ".exe" version. i just didnt know i could open it because it was a windows font. "the unarchiver" was what i needed to get.
This forum is very resourceful. hopefully, next time, i'll be able to help someone else.

Buffetfan - good luck, if i come across a font you could use, I'll send it your way

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.