Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:35 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Final Cut Pro 6 To Debut At NAB? Final Cut Extreme Too?

ThinkSecret believes that Final Cut Pro 6 will finally make its debut at NAB, which takes place April 14-19. The software was originally expected at last year's NAB which instead saw the release of the 17" MacBook Pro.

Final Cut Pro 6 has been rumored to bring 5.1 surround sound editing, 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD support. ThinkSecret adds that the extra development time has afforded Apple to enhance Final Cut's realtime video editing engine with Core Animation technology.

Lastly, ThinkSecret reports that the high-end Final Cut Extreme targeting Avid users will also make its debut at NAB. Little is known about the product at this time, but it is said to be a hardware and software solution with a pricetag near $10,000.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:36 PM   #2
Multimedia
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Multimedia Send a message via Yahoo to Multimedia Send a message via Skype™ to Multimedia
Woot With 8 Core Mac Pro Too

And an 8 Core Mac Pro For Extreme Fun! 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD is already supported in the 5.1.2 update.

Last edited by Multimedia; Feb 22, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
Multimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:45 PM   #3
darwen
macrumors 6502a

I hope the Final Cut 6 adds some serious innovation. The jump from 3 to 4 was huge where as the jump from 4 to 5 didnt seem like much of a big deal. Hopefully 6 will be a 'must buy' program.

Final Cut Extreme sounds interesting... $10,000 is a little steep though, even with a device like 'The Mojo' Avid offers.
darwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4
zblaxberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors View Post
pricetag near $10,000.
all I can say is wow...that sucks...i'm not gonna be able to afford that for a loooonng time
zblaxberg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:51 PM   #5
Lord Nerdos
macrumors member

Doh!!!

I have a terrible feeling that updated mac pros are going to be announced... Terrible, as I ordered mine last week...
**Homer style "Doh!!!"**

A hardware/software combo for the extreme version would make sense. The ultra high powered 8-core system with a highly optimised final cut.

I can but dream...
Lord Nerdos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:53 PM   #6
DMann
Banned

Final Cut Extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrumors View Post

ThinkSecret believes that Final Cut Pro 6 will finally make its debut at NAB, which takes place April 14-19. The software was originally expected at last year's NAB which instead saw the release of the 17" MacBook Pro.

Final Cut Pro 6 has been rumored to bring 5.1 surround sound editing, 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD support. ThinkSecret adds that the extra development time has afforded Apple to enhance Final Cut's realtime video editing engine with Core Animation technology.

Lastly, ThinkSecret reports that the high-end Final Cut Extreme targeting Avid users will also make its debut at NAB. Little is known about the product at this time, but it is said to be a hardware and software solution with a pricetag near $10,000.
Now we're talking..... Real-time video edition integrated with Core Animation, and Extreme for high-end rendering...... can hardly wait
DMann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:54 PM   #7
DMann
Banned

Never too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nerdos View Post
I have a terrible feeling that updated mac pros are going to be announced... Terrible, as I ordered mine last week...
**Homer style "Doh!!!**
You can still cancel the order if you'd rather hold out......
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:57 PM   #8
Lord Nerdos
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMann View Post
You can still cancel the order if you'd rather hold out......
I may just do that... man after all that waiting I thought I had come to a decision!!!
Lord Nerdos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:58 PM   #9
Eidorian
macrumors Penryn

Send a message via AIM to Eidorian
Xgrid + MOAR CORES

*cue maniacal laughter.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 10:59 PM   #10
LethalWolfe
macrumors Demi-God

Looks like they dusted off the exact same prediction from last year except this time they didn't mention Red and its "$200,000" price tag.

I think I'll have to agree to Mike Curtis' take on this rumor over at HD4Indies.

Lethal
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:01 PM   #11
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post
And an 8 Core Mac Pro For Extreme Fun! 1080/24p and 1080/30p DVCPROHD is already supported in the 5.1.2 update isn't it?
Yes... story updated to reflect that. Looks like in the end we don't have too much information on FCP6 other than the fact that its coming at NAB, and should have a Core Animation enhanced engine.
longofest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:12 PM   #12
spicyapple
macrumors 68000

A real-time mixed codec/framerate timeline would be a welcome improvement. Also, a darker updated UI like that of Aperture would be swell.

Oh yeah, Shake-like optical flow for slo-motion, which reminds me the slo-mo features of FCP need a major overhaul, as well as their filter management (filter styles or layers, anyone?) and overhauled motion tab.

Oh yeah, better color correction including a curves editor and some built-in image processing tools like blurs, power windows, etc.

Oh yeah, media management that actually works with nested sequences, and mixed frame rates.

And one more thing, the ability to edit video sequences other than 25 and 30 fps, such as 5,10,15 fps sequences. Multi-caming sequences as a workaround is simply not professional.

That's about it for now...
spicyapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:14 PM   #13
trudd
macrumors regular

Hopefully I'll be kicking it on the floor at NAB. Might just have to mosey on over to the Apple booth...
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:20 PM   #14
Cult Follower
macrumors 6502a

I may not be a professional video editor, but i have always wanted to do some amateur work. This stuff is really exciting, but $10,000. A little much?
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:23 PM   #15
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cult Follower View Post
I may not be a professional video editor, but i have always wanted to do some amateur work. This stuff is really exciting, but $10,000. A little much?
That's for Final Cut Extreme. the new (rumored) extra high-end version of FCP. If you're an amateur, FCP ($1300 or so) or even Final Cut Express ($300 IIRC) are much more the kind of thing you need.
iPhone 5, iPad 3, etc.
mduser63 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:24 PM   #16
failsafe1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Nerdos View Post
I may just do that... man after all that waiting I thought I had come to a decision!!!
I read your post and the Twilight Zone image of William Shatner sitting in a greasy spoon with a bobble head satan question machine.
failsafe1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:26 PM   #17
kenn michael
macrumors newbie

$10,000 is the rumored pricetag for Final Cut Extreme, NOT Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Extreme seems perfect for the high-end users that need 4K editing and compositing capabilities. Something that Avid would charge over $100K for.

Edit - nevermind mduser63 got to it before I did!
kenn michael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:32 PM   #18
twoodcc
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to twoodcc Send a message via MSN to twoodcc
well this is great news! and hopefully leopard will be out then also....

can't wait to try out the new features
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:34 PM   #19
iMacZealot
macrumors 68020

**** yeah!

I'm going to hold off from stepping from FCE to FCS. And a Mac Pro, but I couldn't afford that now (nor later) anyway.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:42 PM   #20
gugy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn michael View Post
$10,000 is the rumored pricetag for Final Cut Extreme, NOT Final Cut Pro. Final Cut Extreme seems perfect for the high-end users that need 4K editing and compositing capabilities. Something that Avid would charge over $100K for.

Edit - nevermind mduser63 got to it before I did!
Exactly,
$10K is not that much if you do professional editing. I would even say is cheap if the hardware is included.

Signs and more signs point that the octo-core will be here at NAB. I wonder with leopard will come at the same time as well as Adobe CS3.

Great times ahead for professionals.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:53 PM   #21
tk421
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwen View Post
I hope the Final Cut 6 adds some serious innovation. The jump from 3 to 4 was huge where as the jump from 4 to 5 didnt seem like much of a big deal. Hopefully 6 will be a 'must buy' program.

Final Cut Extreme sounds interesting... $10,000 is a little steep though, even with a device like 'The Mojo' Avid offers.
This isn't anything like the Mojo. Mojo is for home users and "pro-sumers." Or it works well as a logging station for an assistant. If Apple is trying to compete with high-end stuff, they're competing against stuff like this. And all I can say is, I hope so. I spent all day on a DS today, and I would love something from Apple.

Incidentally, the Media Composer software from Avid is $5000 for software only. No hardware.
tk421 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:59 PM   #22
DMann
Banned

The Stage is Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoodcc View Post
well this is great news! and hopefully leopard will be out then also....

can't wait to try out the new features
Leopard will likely be out soon after...... often, Hardware
is updated immediately before an OS release....
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:14 AM   #23
Multimedia
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Multimedia Send a message via Yahoo to Multimedia Send a message via Skype™ to Multimedia
Oct Mac Pro Likely Before Or At NAB For Extreeme To Work There

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMann View Post
Leopard will likely be out soon after...... often, Hardware is updated immediately before an OS release....
I'm thinking the opposite. 8 Core will likely be a Leopard Mac from day one thanks to better multi-task multi-core management capabilities in Leopard and the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset on the new Oct Mac Pro logicboard. This needs to come with or just before the NAB announcement of FCS 6 and Extreeme for maximum impact and super kickstart sales. Pent up demand for the OctMP will probably make getting one another waiting game even after we all order them on day one.
Multimedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:19 AM   #24
nagromme
macrumors G5

FC Extreme? Dude, I would so totally slam a Dew if that came out!
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 12:21 AM   #25
gugy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimedia View Post
I'm thinking the opposite. 8 Core will likely be a Leopard Mac from day one thanks to better multi-task multi-core management capabilities in Leopard and the Stoakley-Seaburg chipset on the new Oct Mac Pro logicboard. This needs to come with or just before the NAB announcement of FCS 6 and Extreeme for maximum impact and super kickstart sales. Pent up demand for the OctMP will probably make getting one another waiting game even after we all order them on day one.
I agree. It feels that Leopard might come first week of April, then hardware at NAB.
On top of that there are rumors that Adobe CS3 is coming out end of March. It makes sense to have all software native and Leopard to take full advantage of the octo-core.
I hope it happens.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion