Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick9597

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
I searched previous threads and I only got part of my issue addressed so I'm giving it a shot here.

I just aquired a PowerBook G4 (500Mhz) and it is dead. It will not turn on no matter what I try and when I plug in the power adaptor it glows a bright orange (almost red)...what does that mean?

Thanks! :) :apple:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Oops..PowerBook. :eek: :apple:

I thought so.

It glows orange when it's charging the battery and green when it's charged.

If you look at the battery there is a small button on it. If you push the button some little LEDs should light up.
How many, if any, light up?

EDIT: Not that that actually helps your problem. Sorry I got distracted. :eek:

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Do you know the history one it?

I sometimes get a bulk amount of computer that I fix up to sell, use for spare part etc. etc. Sometimes I get them in with parts missing, do you know if everything is intact?

Nick9597

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Do you know the history one it?

I sometimes get a bulk amount of computer that I fix up to sell, use for spare part etc. etc. Sometimes I get them in with parts missing, do you know if everything is intact?

I know a little of it's history....totally intact, had a minimal amount of usage, no hard or excess wear. It's been sitting unused for about 2 1/2 years.

Nick9597

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
I thought so.

It glows orange when it's charging the battery and green when it's charged.

If you look at the battery there is a small button on it. If you push the button some little LEDs should light up.
How many, if any, light up?

EDIT: Not that that actually helps your problem. Sorry I got distracted. :eek:

It's not a battery issue...I've already tried that. Now, as far as the orange light on the power adaptor, it's glowing bright orange..almost red, considerably more so than if it's plugged into my operating PowerBook G4.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I know a little of it's history....totally intact, had a minimal amount of usage, no hard or excess wear. It's been sitting unused for about 2 1/2 years.

It could be the PRAM battery is dead. Although this should really stop it from starting up when connected to the mains. Does it make any noise at all when you push the power button?

Nick9597

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
It could be the PRAM battery is dead. Although this should really stop it from starting up when connected to the mains. Does it make any noise at all when you push the power button?

Nope, no noise whatsoever. Totally dead.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Maybe you have tried this already but try pressing the power button a little harder and hold it for about 2 seconds. It may just be a funky button. My iBook had a similar quirk.

Have you checked to see if there is any ram in there? I know a lot of people take out all the RAM so they can sell it off for a bit more profit. There are quite a few pirates out there. :(

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

It totally could stop it from booting. After sitting for 2.5 years there is a good chance the PRAM battery is toasted.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
It totally could stop it from booting. After sitting for 2.5 years there is a good chance the PRAM battery is toasted.

I wasn't sure how critical to the startup process the battery is.
My PowerBook G3 has a totally dead PRAM battery yet it still starts up from the mains.

Nick9597

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
Maybe you have tried this already but try pressing the power button a little harder and hold it for about 2 seconds. It may just be a funky button. My iBook had a similar quirk.

Have you checked to see if there is any ram in there? I know a lot of people take out all the RAM so they can sell it off for a bit more profit. There are quite a few pirates out there. :(

Thanks for the tips...tried the power button...no luck. It has RAM in it. I checked that earlier. Thanks again.

Nick9597

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007

Ok, so let's say that the PRAM battery is dead (sounds like that's what it is)how involved is the process of replacing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.