Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do You Own or Plan To Own A Sony HDR-HC7 HDV Camcorder?

• Total voters

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
So is this why some would argue that 720P is higher res than 1080i?
1920 x 540 = 1,036,800 (1080i60)
1280 x 720 = 921,600 (720p60)

By the numbers, 1080i pushes more pixels but (by the opinion of many) progressive looks better than inerlaced.

30 deinterlaced frames per second of 1080i material may not look as real or smooth as 60 progressive frames of 720p per second.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Get My HD Off Air Not Cable

Why do I perceive 1080i as higher resolution than 720p? When I watch FOX 720p NFL football it looks noticeably lower res than CBS 1080i NFL football to me. Am I imagining that? :confused: I don't think so. :eek:
It could have something to do w/how the signal is being manipulated before it gets to your house. I have regular digital cable and the NFL games I watch on FOX always look better than the ones on CBS.
I get my HD off air not cable so I'm looking at a higher def CBS than perhaps you get from cable.

However, I'll admit the 1080i image crashes big time when the sequence gets too full of action - Football or CSI Miami. I thought that was the fault of my 8ms LCD not being 6ms and/or my 1080i remaining interlaced rather than upconverted on the fly to 1080p - next Samsung 2007 models are promised by Samsung world class upstate New York customer support people to have both these improvements coming late Spring-Summer.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Got the HC7 this week - need advice

I received the HC7 this week. It's great! It is replacing a trv900. I'm not a pro, just a hobbyist who likes nice things.

My current dilemma is what to do with my old content from the trv900 along with the content I plan on generating. I have a 3 year old vaio with a single layer burner, along with my daughter's imac that has a dl burner. I do not have dvds of any of my tapes, nor are any stored electronically. I've found that I haven't gained any momentum in working with this stuff on the computer since the process from capturing to encoding is so surprisingly slow. I don't want to take the time to do heavy editing and burning in st def since I think it's just a matter of time until the two hd dvd formats become more common. In fact I do have a PS3 that I bought for gaming and for a temporary blu-ray movie player.

What I mainly want now is easier access to view my footage short of connecting the camera to the tv and changing tapes. Should I:

1. Buy a new vaio with a blu-ray burner and start ripping the tapes to dvd.
2. Wait for mac to add a hd burner
3. Buy a large hard drive and store them on a hard drive. If so, is there a way to connect or stream to a tv?
4. Do nothing and wait for hd editing and burning software'hardware to become for mainstream and affordable.

I don't mind spending the money, I just don't want to be obsolete the next day which seems to be increasingly common these days. Any thoughts?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
What I mainly want now is easier access to view my footage short of connecting the camera to the tv and changing tapes.
You might consider getting one of those divx hard drive enclosures. That would be far cheaper than trying to burn Bliu-ray discs (at what, $20 or $25 apiece) and way easier than changing discs when you want to play them back. Just plan the work so that transcoding happens overnight while you're sleeping, during the day when you're at work and over the weekend when you're out.

Here is an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817716022

There's also the IO Data LinkPlus, which rocks because it plays files over IP (ethernet), it plays back DVDRs, CDRs and whatever's on a USB flash drive or external USB hard drive.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=null&model_id=MDL101546

http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2/DVDLAV&ts=2&tsc=

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
You might consider getting one of those divx hard drive enclosures. That would be far cheaper than trying to burn Bliu-ray discs (at what, $20 or $25 apiece) and way easier than changing discs when you want to play them back. Just plan the work so that transcoding happens overnight while you're sleeping, during the day when you're at work and over the weekend when you're out.

Here is an example:

There's also the IO Data LinkPlus, which rocks because it plays files over IP (ethernet), it plays back DVDRs, CDRs and whatever's on a USB flash drive or external USB hard drive.

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?feature_id=01&tree=&itempath=null&model_id=MDL101546

http://www.iodata.com/usa/products/products.php?cat=HNP&sc=AVEL&pId=AVLP2/DVDLAV&ts=2&tsc=

Thanks! I didn't even consider the cost of blank blu-ray disks. Ouch! So I would basically capture the footage, transcode to another file format and store on a hard drive/player that I connect to the tv? How much storage space would an hour of footage take in a new format? Also, what file format would I be converting to? Are you aware of any sites that I can visit to run me throught the process? Lastly, is it a waste to permanently store the tapes in native format on another drive for use later, say when hd dvd's become more affordable?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I get my HD off air not cable so I'm looking at a higher def CBS than perhaps you get from cable.
I hope your signal is higer def as my cable is only standard def. ;) My point was that the level of compression can vary from channel to channel depending on what happens at the local level.

However, I'll admit the 1080i image crashes big time when the sequence gets too full of action - Football or CSI Miami. I thought that was the fault of my 8ms LCD not being 6ms and/or my 1080i remaining interlaced rather than upconverted on the fly to 1080p - next Samsung 2007 models are promised by Samsung world class upstate New York customer support people to have both these improvements coming late Spring-Summer.
The compression that goes onto the signals is unreal. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm not ga-ga over consumer/end-user HD. After seeing footage from a $130,000 camera played back on a $10,000 calibrated HD monitor (by an $85,000 deck no less) nearly every day for over a year there's nothing really on the consumer end to make my jaw drop.

Lethal

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Wow That Galaxy MPEG4 External Enclosure Is News To Me

Here is an example:

I've never seen one of those Galaxy Metal Gear Boxes before. So it spits out A/V directly to the HDTV via the HDMI port? OIC it's not a HDMI port although it has the same shape as one. I've added the analog component breakout cable closeup so all can see how that would work. Can you explain more about how you feed it and how you retrieve video from it please?

Attachments

• GalaxyMetalGear3500TvistoU2F.jpg
    GalaxyMetalGear3500TvistoU2F.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 102
  • GalaxyBox.jpg
    GalaxyBox.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 131
  • GalaxyHowtouse2.jpg
    GalaxyHowtouse2.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 99
  • Galaxy3500TvistoHDCAB.jpg
    Galaxy3500TvistoHDCAB.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 98
  • GalaxyRemote.jpg
    GalaxyRemote.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 107

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I've never seen one of those before. So it spits out A/V directly to the HDTV via the HDMI port? Can you explain more about how you feed it and how you retrieve video from it please?
It seems like the IO Data branded player has component output only, while the JVC branded one has DVI-I. IO Data makes both players.

I don't know exactly how network playback works but the IO Data site says the player is compatible with Windows, Linux and Mac. I suppose you set up a folder to share from your computer and the device picks it up and allows you to browse it.

The other option available is to play back WM9 HD, DivX HD or raw MPEG-2 TS (high definition) files off of DVDRs and CDRs. And of course hours of standard def. content encoded in WM9, DivX or MPEG2 would fit on a DVDR.

edit: Oh, you were talking about the Galaxy Metal Gear box. Thanks for finding the manufacturer's product information site. Unfortunately it doesn't play back DivX HD or WMV9 HD. It's unclear to me which form or format of 1080i it plays back. It appears that you can load disk images of DVDs (.iso files can be made in Toast) onto the thing.

For my money I'd go for the JVC SRDVD-100U as it's way more flexible than the Apple TV but a little more expensive ($360 at B & H). The reviews linked to the B & H page describe its problems (wonky WMV playback, difficult firmware updates, trouble with the break-point on dual-layer media playing back m2t files, issues with playing some commercial DVDs).

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
What about Appletv

Would appletv work? Can it stream content from an external source, or does it just sync? What hd formats would be compatible? I don't know a lot about it, but is it limited to 720p output?

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Apple TV Will Be Able To Display Your HC7 Creations After You Export For iPod

Would appletv work? Can it stream content from an external source, or does it just sync? What hd formats would be compatible? I don't know a lot about it, but is it limited to 720p output?
Yes Apple TV's limited to 720p so far. And it wants an iPod compatible version of your original HDV edit to communicate it from your Mac to your Apple TV to your HDTV. But you can easily export such a version directly from iMovie or from a Handbrake mp4 rip of a DVD Image - NOT a physical DVD - you can make with iDVD or Toast for a little bit better quality.

For that reason, I sometimes see Apple TV as a limited application extra video card which lets you use your TV as a computer display for a limited set of file types. But you see I view my 40" Samsung LN-S4095 HDTV as a Mac peripheral so don't pay any attention to me. ;) :eek:

Yes it can stream your video from your Mac and you could train it to copy your creations to its local 40GB HD automatically as well. I think we're going to go through more changes about how we use what to consume video when and where this year more than we've ever had to relearn a consumption pattern of anything in our lives before. Seems like the closer we get to the end of analog broadcast transmissions, the more different will become how we get and view video. Very exciting times for videophiles and multimedia fanatics like me.

That's what makes the HC7 such an exciting product in the mix. Never before have we had such an affordable and powerful audio-video recording tool available to us at such an affordable cost. More and more we will be creating our own media rather than consuming someone else's creations.

I can see TamLovesMac in Dallas turning her 5 kids into her video production posse that will turn them into one of the most popular video podcasters in Dallas market - perhaps in the world - featuring all sorts of adventures they share with their neighbors via free iTunes distribution. Forget making DVDs Tam. Just post your creations to a free blog that's linked to iTunes and the whole world can watch your family's fun.

KDR

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
Media center pc

The more I think about it, the more I feel I should continue to let the tapes stack up for the time being. Ideally I'd have a media center PC with a whopper hard drive that will hold all of my hc7 footage in high def and that can output 1080i, or even better 1080p through an hdmi signal to either my receiver or tv. I'd use the same to scroll through pix and play my itunes files. It looks like there are some vista boxes in the works, and I have to think that Apple will be there soon.

mseraj

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2007
Sony HC7 Mac Software...

Just received my HC7 but the software is not Mac compatible. What's the best software to use to transfer video from HC7 to an IMAC? What's the best way to connect the HC7 to an IMAC?
Thanks..
MJ

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
What's the best software to use to transfer video from HC7 to an IMAC?
That depends on what you want to do. For simple editing use iMovie HD. If your iMac is from the past two years you should have it. Here is a great site for information about iMovie, which includes tutorials.
What's the best way to connect the HC7 to an IMAC?
The only way to transfer video is to use a 4 pin to 6 pin FireWire (a.k.a. i.Link a.k.a. 1394a) cable.

Attachments

• 4-6-PIN-FIREWIRE-CABLE-(1.5M)-FW-4-6PINCABLE-2-01.jpg
    4-6-PIN-FIREWIRE-CABLE-(1.5M)-FW-4-6PINCABLE-2-01.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 1,423

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Please Share Where You Buy Your HC7 For How Much Money • HC7 Stills

Just received my HC7 but the software is not Mac compatible. What's the best software to use to transfer video from HC7 to an IMAC? What's the best way to connect the HC7 to an IMAC?
Congrats. From where for how much money please? ProVantage has pushed back deliveries another two weeks minimum. :(

iMovie 6, soon to be iMovie 7, is HDV compatible as well as Final Cut Express 3.5 HD soon to be FCE 4.

What iMac model please? Speed? Processor Model? How much RAM? How big a Hard Drive? What OS #?

Here's some HC7 stills my friend Al Lundell took in Hawaii yesterday. They're reductions of big originals. Native biggest wide size is 2848 x 1602. These are all reduced from that size to 768 x 432. I tried to reduce the file size of a native photo with Photoshop's ImageReady. But the smallest I can make it without reducing it's dimensions is still over 400k from a 2.1MB original. While the detail is obviously lacking, the colors looks fantastic and when reduced they look quite acceptable to me. I'll post an almost native dimensions version of the garden tonight after I fool around with reduction schemes that let it fit into MacRumors' max file size while retaining as much of the dimension size I can.

For those who are unfamiliar with our Thumbnails, you double click on the thumbnail to open a separate web page with the full size picture for you to view and download with a control+click or right click. When you put them all in a folder, select all (Command+A) then Command+O to open them in Preview at once, you will get a nice PDF like view with a drawer that lets you rapidly view each one with the stroke of the up-down arrows.

Attachments

• HawiianJungle.JPG
    HawiianJungle.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 120
  • GardenSmallWide.JPG
    GardenSmallWide.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 198
  • FlowerCU.JPG
    FlowerCU.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 187
  • WoodDolphins.JPG
    WoodDolphins.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 114
  • PalmTall.JPG
    PalmTall.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 113

killr_b

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
Suckerfornia
The compression that goes onto the signals is unreal. That's one of the biggest reasons I'm not ga-ga over consumer/end-user HD. After seeing footage from a $130,000 camera played back on a $10,000 calibrated HD monitor (by an $85,000 deck no less) nearly every day for over a year there's nothing really on the consumer end to make my jaw drop.

Lethal

hahaha, that's great man. Exactly how I feel when I walk into Best Buy with a bud.

He'll be like, "Wow, HD is clear. And look at the picture on that TV!'"
And I'm like, "It looks blurred. And why don't all the TV's picture's look the same? We don't spend grips of time and money determining perfect colors for nothing. Why don't the TV's match?"
And then the idiot sales rep will be like, "So and so makes HD stuff and you have to get all of the same brand for it to look right."

At which point I try not to laugh in everyone's face. :p

Broadcast TV pisses me off these days. Especially getting a job from someone who only uses one certain kind of equipment and thinks that if you don't agree with them on the selection then you don't know what you're talking about.

The HD thing has done more harm than good all over the industry.
Okay, I feel better. Thanx guys. :D

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
Here's some HC7 stills my friend Al Lundell took in Hawaii yesterday. They're reductions of big originals. Native biggest wide size is 2848 x 1602. These are all reduced from that size to 768 x 432. I tried to reduce the file size of a native photo with Photoshop's ImageReady. But the smallest I can make it without reducing it's dimensions is still over 400k from a 2.1MB original. While the detail is obviously lacking, the colors looks fantastic and when reduced they look quite acceptable to me. I'll post an almost native dimensions version of the garden tonight after I fool around with reduction schemes that let it fit into MacRumors' max file size while retaining as much of the dimension size I can.

Beautiful shots Multimedia! This is what I've been waiting to see. Is there any chance you can email me one or more of the un-resized images? I'd like to take a look at some of the details and compare it against my old Olympus. I have a decent amount of web space and bandwidth, if you send the original images to me I'll upload them and post links here so that everyone can view them. Email address is kenneth at pardue dot com.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Al Lundell's Hawaiian Garden Reduced To Fit Here

This is as big dimensionally as I could make the garden scene from Hawaii by Al Lundell. 1866x1050 with a file size of 243k. MacRumors won't let us upload images larger than 244k. Ken Pardue will post the uncompressed 2.1MB stills from his web site soon.

Attachments

• GardenWideRumorsSize.jpg
    GardenWideRumorsSize.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 205

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Sony HDR-SR1 Is A Really Pathetic Disaster & Probably A PR Disaster For Sony As Well

I took these posts from another thread so you all can see what's up with the Sony HDR-SR1 camcorder. A Newbie Chiggs started a SR1 thread over in the Digital Audio section. Go figure. :rolleyes:

It appears that Sony has created a monster of a Public Relations nightmare with this camera. Apparently Sony has made sure no one can edit anything they shoot with this camera even with their own Sony Vegas Windoze software.
Does anyone have any experience using Sony's new HD HDD Camcorder with the Mac. I'm looking to replace my 6 year old Canon ZR-10 and strongly considering this model. Doesn't seem to have a Firewire out though. I'm also wondering about AVCHD support within iMovie.
Stay Away from HDR-SR1 if you have a mac!

Good concern. I connected my brother's Sony HDR-SR1 to my G5 and my new Macboock pro. Both computers recognized the Camera as an external HD, and improted the files just fine, but Sony has done a good job of making sure that no one can touch their files. Even though it's AVC/h.264, the container file name is propietary for SONY, and not even Sony Vegas can edit these files in windows. A sales guy at shopdigitalcorp.com said that he converts the files to M-peg2, and then to DV format, and then can edit the Movies in Adobe Premier (Windoze only). It sounds like a lot of work to me.

I just bought one of Sony's HDV Tape Camera, the HDR-HC7 and it works fine with iMovie. It appears that the Canon HDV10 works as well (It is advertised in Mac Mall and other Mac sites.)

Good Luck!
I just bought the Sony SR1 before I left for my trip to Asia. I assumed it would work with my mac...so much for that. The camera is great, especially with the new wide angle lense I just bought for it in Singapore, but I'm going to fill this thing up and be unable to pull of any video.

Have there been any updates that would allow me to get the HD files off of this friggen thing so I can edit on my MacBook? :mad:
Nope. You are completely out of luck geekism. The SR1 is what is commonly referred to in the business as a DEAD END product.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I took these posts from another thread so you all can see what's up with the Sony HDR-SR1 camcorder. A Newbie Chiggs started a SR1 thread over in the Digital Audio section. Go figure. :rolleyes:

It appears that Sony has created a monster of a Public Relations nightmare with this camera. Apparently Sony has made sure no one can edit anything they shoot with this camera even with their own Sony Vegas Windoze software.Nope. You are completely out of luck geekism. The SR1 is what is commonly referred to in the business as a DEAD END product.

This post is what is commonly referred to in the business as FUD. I've yet to see this "public relations nightmare" you speak of. If anything there is a lot of curiosity in the industry about the format and speculation that AVCHD and AVC-Intra (for pros) will finally usher in an affordable, tapeless acquisition solution across the board.

Also, Sony isn't doing anything to make sure "...no one can edit anything they shoot..." it's just that software makers haven't added AVCHD support yet to their products. The cameras that Sony and Panasonic have released currently don't have native editing support by NLEs and that's not unusual for the software side to be playing "catch up". Heck, HDV didn't start getting native NLE support until about 2 years after the first HDV camera was released.

Lethal

kepardue

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2006
Many thanks to Multimedia for sending the unaltered images! I've posted them to my website so that anyone interested in seeing the quality of still shots from the HC7 may be able to make their own judgements.

GardenBigWide.JPG

GardenWideMaxComp1920x1080.jpg - Multimedia has asked me to point out that this one is what you would expect to see from an image reduced to be viewed on a HDTV.

Poolbig.jpg

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
1920 x 1080 Reduction Of Hawaiian Garden Maximum Compression Applied w/ImageReady

Many thanks to Multimedia for sending the unaltered images! I've posted them to my website so that anyone
interested in seeing the quality of still shots from the HC7 may be able to make their own judgements.

This is the original 2.1MB 2848x1602 "Fine" mode HC7 Photograph of a Hawaiian Garden
shot by Al Lundell in Hawaii Friday 3.9.07 you can view and download from Ken's site.

This is an example of how a native 1920x1080 version would look on a HDTV after the file size is
reduced to a minimum possible of 252k with PhotoShop's ImageReady. Just a hair bigger than
the max 244k MacRumors allows. But still very small for such a large 2.1MB original - one eighth.
Looks great on my Samsung 40" even at 252k. It's not perfect by any means.
But for the byproduct of a video camera I think it looks great.

1. I opened the original 2.1MB 2848x1602 in Photoshop 8.0 (CS)
2. Reduced it's dimensions in "Image Size..." to 1920x1080
3. Reduced its file size in ImageReady (Save for Web...) to "JPG Low" maximizing the compression yielding the 252k image you see here (hosted on Ken's site):

GardenWideMaxComp1920x1080.jpg

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Shooting To Hard Drive Without Tape Is A Fundamentally Flawed Process

I've yet to see this "public relations nightmare" you speak of.
That's because it will take some time for consumers to realize they are going to lose their footage if they don't have it backed up on TAPE. Hard Drives BREAK way sooner than tape fails.
If anything there is a lot of curiosity in the industry about the format and speculation that AVCHD and AVC-Intra (for pros) will finally usher in an affordable, tapeless acquisition solution across the board.
I don't believe it - not without tape rolling simultaneously.
Also, Sony isn't doing anything to make sure "...no one can edit anything they shoot..." it's just that software makers haven't added AVCHD support yet to their products. The cameras that Sony and Panasonic have released currently don't have native editing support by NLEs and that's not unusual for the software side to be playing "catch up". Heck, HDV didn't start getting native NLE support until about 2 years after the first HDV camera was released.
I recently attended a video expo where experts in HD were on a panel. To a person not one of them thought shooting directly to a hard drive was a good idea without a TAPE MASTER rolling. Not ONE. The notion you will shoot to a HD without tape and not lose your original footage due to mechanical failure is not believed by any of these experts.

Moreover AVCHD compression is significantly higher than HDV compression. Sony doesn't even provide a 1394 connection for computers to receive that stream in the traditional way.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 27, 2001
Step By Step Directions To Achieve Communication Between Macs & HDV Camcorders

This is my first post after joining today. Just got the HD7 and it does everything as experted. Its small enough to fit in a jacket pocket, light enough to hand hold for an hour and the noise level is excellent for low light like in a dungeon or a high school basketball game.

Problem is I cant get it to work with my 2 GHz dual G5 with 4.5 GB Ram and OSX 10.4.8

I have a 20 and a 24" I-mac and it plays fine on both of them using the same version of I-movie HD 6.0.3 and the same fire wire cable.

On the G5 I-movie says the camera is playing when started but wont display any video, plays no audio and doesn't update the frame counter. It will control the camcorder, but nothing else. The The camera displays normal video and audio on its screen but the I-movie screen just stays blue and says "camera Playing"

I tried both the front and rear fire-wire connector with no luck. The I-link indicator on the camcorder goes to I-link out when the camera starts playing.

Is the G5 dual incompatible and I need to upgrade to a Mac Pro or is this cockpit error???
Cockpit Error Most Definitely. Did you read any documentation in the iMovie Help Files?
Details are on page 58 upper left corner of your HC7 manual: In the HC7 settings make sure you have i.Link -> DV conversion turned off if iMovie is set to HD. (Conversely, make sure the DV conversion is on if iMovie is working in DV. That is, just make sure your streams are matching formats.)
Given they do what you recommend first Michael, I think some may also not understand:

1. Must have iMovie 6 OPEN
2. Plus the camera must be ON
3. Plus camera must be in VCR mode.
4. Then Plug In The FireWire
5. In iMovie preferences AND the HC7 make sure the settings are coordinated with the settings Michael lists above. Nothing will work if they are not.
6. Make sure your iMovie MODE is switched to the camera position. That's the little slider that has a camera icon on the left and a pair of scissors icon on the right. Without that toggle switched to the left next to the camera icon communication is impossible (as the Japanese like to say).
7. In that mode you will see a blue screen with the words "Camera Attached" in white in the middle of it. Your time code will appear in the upper right corner. (If not you will see the words "No Camera Attached" with a button for "Connection Help" that will launch Apple's own help file including links to other pages that can help as well.)
7. Press play in iMovie and you will see the stream playing from the camera.
8. Press the "Import" button and it will begin to copy the stream to your Movie Folder.

I think the stories of communication failure are related to not understanding these steps due to not reading the documentation Apple includes in the extensive help files you can choose from the menu in iMovie. There are also numerous iMovie books out there. You should definitely buy one of those linked to above to fully grasp the power of iMovie. It may appear to be simple and limited when in fact it is quite complex and powerful.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
That's because it will take some time for consumers to realize they are going to lose their footage if they don't have it backed up on TAPE. Hard Drives BREAK way sooner than tape fails.
First off, this is why I'm hesitant to recommend tapeless cameras w/o mentioning the fact that you need a back-up/archival solution and a more thought out workflow to help avoid accidentally loosing footage. For consumers I don't think now is the time to buy a camera that doesn't shoot onto tape. For people who make a living in this industry it's whatever workflow best fits their needs. A tapeless workflow is more complicated for a documentary shooter than it is for a VFX company that always shoots on a green screen, for example.

Secondly, I still fail to see how this is Sony's "...Public Relations nightmare..." when Sony isn't the only company making tapeless cameras.

I don't disagree that their are short comings w/tapeless cameras and the AVCHD codec right now, I just disagree w/the sensationalistic tone ("PR nightmare") and finality ("dead end format") that you are using.

I don't believe it - not without tape rolling simultaneously.I recently attended a video expo where experts in HD were on a panel. To a person not one of them thought shooting directly to a hard drive was a good idea without a TAPE MASTER rolling. Not ONE. The notion you will shoot to a HD without tape and not lose your original footage due to mechanical failure is not believed by any of these experts.
Tapeless is where things are going. Be it Sony's XDCAM, Pansonic's P2 cards, Red One's HDDs/flash drive, or anyone of Firestore's offerings. The tapeless or "IT" workflow is still bleeding edge and will take a number of years for a proven workflow to filter into common usage, but it will happen. Personally, I can't wait. I worked on a show using XDCAM HD and I didn't miss tape one bit. I'm excited that there are people like Jim Jannard (RED) and David Fincher ("Zodiac") are trailblazing the IT workflow, and it was only a few years ago that Lucas and Rodriguez were getting poo-pooed for saying they'd never shoot on film again. Just because something isn't right for you doesn't mean it's not right for someone else.

Moreover AVCHD compression is significantly higher than HDV compression. Sony doesn't even provide a 1394 connection for computers to receive that stream in the traditional way.
And HDV's compression is significantly higher than MiniDVs compression (making it such a PITA in post that there is almost universal agreement to transcode footage shot in HDV into a different codec for editing). Speaking of MiniDV, how many computers had firewire when the VX1000 first went on sale? How many years after that did computers get fast enough to no long need 3rd party hardware assist cards at all? It's all just coming full circle now w/HD. Now that SD is relatively easy to handle we have a new format coming into common usage. The requirements for working with HD today parallel the requirements for working w/SD 7 or 8 years ago.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.