Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojimbothe3rd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
If you can't tell I'm very new to OS X, about 24 hours in fact. I was trying to play a region 2 dvd with the vlc player. I'm aware this can no longer be done, correct me if I'm wrong. I was in finder and I dragged the dvd icon that is in the upper left corner when you have a dvd in over to the vlc player. It went poof and disappeared. How can I get it back? I wouldn't know how to even take the dvd out of the machine now.

Thanks

tyr2

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2006
Leeds, UK
Click on 'Macintosh HD' on the column on the left. And then choose 'Enclosing Folder' on the 'Go' menu. You'll then see the drive in the column on the right, just drag it back on where you want it.

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
Welcome to the wonderful world of Macintosh.

Since you dragged the icon off and it went poof... There should be an icon DVD icon on the desktop. So drag it back on. :)

You can also eject disc with the eject key on the keyboard.

yojimbothe3rd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Welcome to the wonderful world of Macintosh.

Since you dragged the icon off and it went poof... There should be an icon DVD icon on the desktop. So drag it back on. :)

You can also eject disc with the eject key on the keyboard.

It is not on the desktop and I did try the eject button but a faint ejection icon pops up in the middle of the screen and nothing really happens.

Also open enclosing folder didn't work.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

lancestraz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2005
RI
It is not on the desktop and I did try the eject button but a faint ejection icon pops up in the middle of the screen and nothing really happens.

Also open enclosing folder didn't work.

Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks
Thats odd. Are you sure the DVD is still in there? :p

When you're in the Finder, hit command+",". The preference window should appear. Under the "General" section make sure the "CDs, DVD, and iPods" box is ticked.

Then go to the "Sidebar" section and make sure the "Removable media" box is ticked.

If the DVD still doesn't show up, restart while holding down the mouse button.

yojimbothe3rd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Thats odd. Are you sure the DVD is still in there? :p

When you're in the Finder, hit command+",". The preference window should appear. Under the "General" section make sure the "CDs, DVD, and iPods" box is ticked.

Then go to the "Sidebar" section and make sure the "Removable media" box is ticked.

If the DVD still doesn't show up, restart while holding down the mouse button.

:p Actually I did think of that, haha. Double checked though and yeah it's not back in the case yet.

Well "CDs, DVD, and iPods" was checked. In Sidebar, removable media was not checked but I checked it and nothing happened except a few apps I just downloaded that were on the desktop returned.

Should I try to reboot and see if it returns?

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You have to quit anything that is using the DVD before ejecting it. Also, it should be on your desktop, from which you can drag the DVD icon to the trash and it will eject (this is actually the old man traditional Mac way of ejecting disks, recently surpassed by the eject button on the recent keyboards).

Also, why jump so fast to VLC? Did you even try the built in Apple DVD player software?

yojimbothe3rd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
You have to quit anything that is using the DVD before ejecting it. Also, it should be on your desktop, from which you can drag the DVD icon to the trash and it will eject (this is actually the old man traditional Mac way of ejecting disks, recently surpassed by the eject button on the recent keyboards).

Also, why jump so fast to VLC? Did you even try the built in Apple DVD player software?

Ha, that got the DVD out. VLC was still on, I didn't realize it would make a difference but it makes sense.

I still do not see the cd/dvd icon. I did notice something though. Under finder then preferences there is a list under new finder windows open and a few things show up there. The first three things are "Computer" "Macintosh HD" and "idisk." But the idisk listed is faint (unclickable). I don't know if this helps.

I've used the built in software a few times but like I said I was trying to play region 2 disk when my computer is region 1. I was under the impression, wrongly, that it may be possible with the VLC player.

yojimbothe3rd

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2007
Well I put another dvd in and it's back. Thanks for all of your help. I'm excited to learn all of the ins and outs, I should be there by this weekend right? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.