Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old May 12, 2003, 01:30 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

International iTunes...

One source indicates that the Canadian launch of the iTunes Music Store is expected on the order of weeks -- with licensing dicussions nearing compleition.

European users also have some encouraging news with this MacWorld UK article which references a Music Week article discussing iTunes and the European market. In the article, Pascal Cagni, vice-president of Apple Europe, reveals that launching the iTunes music store in Europe is his top priority:

Quote:
"As head of Europe, I have only one interest, which is to launch [iTunes Music Store] in Europe
"

Unfortunately, it appears licensing discussions did not begin until after the US launch, and the service may be launched in a piecemeal fashion -- with more Internet-popular areas getting first access.

As an encouraging sign, however, head of EMI is quoted as saying "I can't see anything that would stop us making music available for Apple's service in Europe".

Last edited by arn; May 12, 2003 at 11:27 PM.
MacRumors is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 01:34 AM   #2
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
iTunes shopper hopefuls of the world, unite!

hopefully the wait for the spred of the revolution won't be too long.
shadowfax is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 02:05 AM   #3
joelc
macrumors member

Heh, but you already have it...
Old May 12, 2003, 02:16 AM   #4
ipman
macrumors newbie

legal issues?

I would think that even if the music labels are willing that there may be legal impediments such as tax, etc that would have to be sorted out first.

On another note, I bloody hope Australia isn't too far down the track.
ipman is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 02:19 AM   #5
niar
macrumors newbie

Unhappy Too sad...

With apple marketshare under 1 percent, I can't see this happening in Estonia..
Also, I don't believe the song prices going to be as low as in US. Considering the differencies between US and European CD prices - I predict 1.99 euros per song
niar is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 02:20 AM   #6
CharlesVan
macrumors newbie

I hope it's 99 cents Cdn a song. Otherwise, it would be the same as buying an actual CD.
CharlesVan is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 02:41 AM   #7
woodsey
macrumors regular

Bad feeling About Australia

Still no mention of australia!

Apple Australia has shown us no reason to believe they would bother customising something for us.

They didnt bother with sherlock, or iPhoto prints.

Do you think they would bother setting up an australian version of the music store?

It wouldnt suprise me if they didnt!
woodsey is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 02:46 AM   #8
Foocha
macrumors 6502a

I can't wait for the service to reach the UK - I feel a shopping spree coming on.

Re: Estonia - I hope the service will be pan EU (existing and new members!) and you get coverage. I'd be perfectly happy paying for my songs in Euros.
Foocha is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 03:00 AM   #9
macmax
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Foocha
I can't wait for the service to reach the UK - I feel a shopping spree coming on.

Re: Estonia - I hope the service will be pan EU (existing and new members!) and you get coverage. I'd be perfectly happy paying for my songs in Euros.
go ask me , i am in the caribbean, go figure when i will get it.

Something i don't understand is that it says that if i have a billing adress in the USA i can dl music, well , i have one , but i can't seem to be able to update the account i have.
macmax is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 03:15 AM   #10
Knox
Administrator

Actually, i'd prefer if they waited a while and made sure they got music suitable to the European/international market rather than rush it out with the selection currently available. Out of the current UK singles top 10 only one track (50 Cent) is available on the US store, and, although the chart music isn't exactly the pinacle of musical talent, it's going to sell the most.
Knox is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 03:43 AM   #11
ssamani
macrumors regular

Re: International iTunes...

Quote:
Originally posted by Macrumors

As an encouraging sign, however, head of EMI is quoted as saying "I can't see anything that would stop us making music available for Apple's service in Europe".
Given that EMI recently started allowing UK bricks and mortar retailers to sell downloads from their websites, this should really not be a big issue for EMI in the UK. The only question is whether the other four as far developed from a legal perspective in the UK. I suspect Apple will wait until they have 200k songs in place for each country before they go live.

EMI backs digital downloads:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2972673.stm

Lets hope that the 1m songs sold in 1 week makes the big five greedy for more.
ssamani is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 03:57 AM   #12
BaghdadBob
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to BaghdadBob
You Aussies need to chill...

Just be easy guys. I know everyone not in the US is frustrated -- rightly -- by the lack of Sherlock and iPhoto localization, but this is totally, totally, totally different.

I hate to put it in terms of greed, but quite frankly, ordering prints from iPhoto and having full Sherlock localization just doesn't pay the bills for Apple. The music store pays for itself.

So don't worry, your money is as good as anyone else's. Meaning Apple wants it. So prepare to have it taken from you!
BaghdadBob is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 05:18 AM   #13
valypan
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to valypan Send a message via AIM to valypan
itunes in europe

Good news for us European users at last.
If they are going to give priority to countries where internet is more popular, like they hinted on the article, then I guess scandinavia is at the top of the list, also considering how popular broadband is over here.

http://research.analysys.com/default.asp?mode=jdt2

So fingers crossed for us
valypan is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 05:35 AM   #14
Mr Jobs
macrumors regular

I dont care if it come to the UK, as looking a history of pricing when it come to the UK Apple is going to charge somethiong like 99p per song which is way more then the US prices.
Old May 12, 2003, 07:39 AM   #15
Hozie
macrumors newbie

Well, I for one would never buy at the equivalent of 99p because at that point, it becomes cheaper to just go out and buy the CD. I think the 0.99$ is right on the mark, so if I were Apple, I wouldn't stray too far from that price.
Hozie is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 07:41 AM   #16
Wardofsky
macrumors 65816

I hope Australia exists in Apple.
Wardofsky is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 07:53 AM   #17
krafix
macrumors newbie

Talking

Yeeha! Canadians next... then the world!

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlesVan
I hope it's 99 cents Cdn a song. Otherwise, it would be the same as buying an actual CD.
yep, I hope they made marketing studies right cause here in canada, it's one of the cheapest CDs on earth. Let's hope they don't blown it.
krafix is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 08:09 AM   #18
yuri_koval
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to yuri_koval
Wink international stores

I think It would be a gread idea if apple will add more music record companies. Then, users would have more choices of their music interests.
Old May 12, 2003, 08:12 AM   #19
kettle
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to kettle
Thumbs down Problems with Euro

Quote:
Originally posted by Foocha
I'd be perfectly happy paying for my songs in Euros.
Not me.

I will not be paying for iTunes in Euros

I have a huge problem with apple insisting I support a Federal Super State of dubious creation.
kettle is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 08:20 AM   #20
iN8
macrumors regular

I'm in the same boat.

Quote:
Originally posted by macmax
go ask me , i am in the caribbean, go figure when i will get it.

Something i don't understand is that it says that if i have a billing adress in the USA i can dl music, well , i have one , but i can't seem to be able to update the account i have.
I have a US credit card as well, but I guess your computer has to physically be in the US. I don't know how it knows where you are, but I know it isn't just your credit card.
Old May 12, 2003, 08:35 AM   #21
encro
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to encro Send a message via MSN to encro Send a message via Skype™ to encro
Australia???

Isn't that some form of spaghetti?
encro is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 08:42 AM   #22
gwuMACaddict
macrumors 68040

Talking poll on cnn

cnn.com has a poll at the bottem of their website today asking 'would you pay .99 to download music files'. so far it is 70% no

i believe we can chalk this up to envy, think the windows world is jealous

Old May 12, 2003, 08:55 AM   #23
Sol
macrumors 65832

Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
Australian Spaghetti (?!), content & kiosks

Quote:
Originally posted by encro
Australia???

Isn't that some form of spaghetti?
I have never heard of Australian spaghetti but I will take your word for it. I can imagine that it would have egg, bacon and pineapple pieces on it.

On a more serious note, I do not see the point of opening an Apple Music Store here without Australian content. The same goes for every other country where the service is not offered yet.

Since there is no Windows version of iTunes yet I think Apple would do well to sell music on the Music Store via CD-R dispensing kiosks in shopping centers. Such kiosks would make the Music Store accessible to most shoppers, not just those with Macs and broadband.
Old May 12, 2003, 09:09 AM   #24
abdul
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to abdul
Re: Bad feeling About Australia.......and europe

Quote:
Originally posted by woodsey
Still no mention of australia!

Apple Australia has shown us no reason to believe they would bother customising something for us.

They didnt bother with sherlock, or iPhoto prints.

Do you think they would bother setting up an australian version of the music store?

It wouldnt suprise me if they didnt!
ok there saying its there top priority.....we'll see. dont worry the uk has got no sherlock support either also iphoto is just the US (or is it north america??)

doesnt matter let the hevily populated europe get it first and then worry about countries like India, australia and japan (eventhough japan is prob more heavily populated)

i think apple has a larger % in the US is cos its nicely catering fot the US rather than the world. iphoto shouldnt be hard to make for th world, but they dont, ok sherlock would be but they still havent made the effort.
abdul is offline   0
Old May 12, 2003, 09:31 AM   #25
mim
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to mim
Re: Problems with Euro

Quote:
Originally posted by kettle
Not me.

I will not be paying for iTunes in Euros

I have a huge problem with apple insisting I support a Federal Super State of dubious creation.
Arye, Zommer-zet. Uses wont be a payin in Ueeroz yet!

You'd be paying an amount in pounds that just happens to be equal to $0.99 Euro dollars (so, like 50 something pence). No need to take the political lowroad with this one.

The Euro is so close to the USD at the moment that I'd be suprised if it wan't 0.99 too. It's just such an easy number compared to $1.27

a.
mim is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)