Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
i downloaded a few TV shows in .AVI format, and when I try to play them in quicktime on my iMac it says I need to download the divx codec. these shows play fine in Divx but still wont play in Quicktime. is there any way I can get them to play in quicktime?

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
i downloaded a few TV shows in .AVI format, and when I try to play them in quicktime on my iMac it says I need to download the divx codec. these shows play fine in Divx but still wont play in Quicktime. is there any way I can get them to play in quicktime?

I recommend installing Perian. It's an _excellent_ codec pack for Quicktime.

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Check your QuickTime library (Library > QuickTime). If you don't have the DivX component in there QuickTime will not be enabled.
It's in there but when I click teh file, and quicktime opens up, it just displays a white screen w/ no sound. it will play but it will be blank and soundless.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Do you have MPEGStreamclip? If not, get it (free). Along with QTPro its my most valuable software. It will play and convert everything.

Unfortunately, there a lot of "components" that are somethings necessary for QT to play back everything appropriately. Also, not all AVIs are the same, they come in different flavors. So you may have to add more than one component.

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Do you have MPEGStreamclip? If not, get it (free). Along with QTPro its my most valuable software. It will play and convert everything.

Unfortunately, there a lot of "components" that are somethings necessary for QT to play back everything appropriately. Also, not all AVIs are the same, they come in different flavors. So you may have to add more than one component.
so how do I know which codec I need to play each different type of AVI?

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007

i wanna play it in QT. it will play in Divx fine.

numediaman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Chicago (by way of SF)
Damn good question. I guess you know you've got them all when you no longer have problems. :)

This is why I hate AVIs and other silly files like oggs, rars, etc. Why not just use ZIP and MP3 and AIFF (or FLAC) -- in other words, use some sort of standardization. Oh well, to each his own.

I looked in my Library and found the following:
3ivx D4
AppleIntermediateCodec
Divx 5
Flip4Mac (from Microsoft -- lets QT play windows media files)
oggImport
Save as AVI
Theora (have no idea what this is)
Xvid Codec

These seem to be all I need. If you are missing any you should be able to search for them via Google.

Of course, I also have QTPro instead of the regular free QT -- though I don't know if this matters.

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
Damn good question. I guess you know you've got them all when you no longer have problems. :)

This is why I hate AVIs and other silly files like oggs, rars, etc. Why not just use ZIP and MP3 and AIFF (or FLAC) -- in other words, use some sort of standardization. Oh well, to each his own.

I looked in my Library and found the following:
3ivx D4
AppleIntermediateCodec
Divx 5
Flip4Mac (from Microsoft -- lets QT play windows media files)
oggImport
Save as AVI
Theora (have no idea what this is)
Xvid Codec

These seem to be all I need. If you are missing any you should be able to search for them via Google.

Of course, I also have QTPro instead of the regular free QT -- though I don't know if this matters.
whered u get teh xvid codec? i googled it n DLed from the 1st site that popped up, but its like some word file

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
I feel like this bears repeating, since my response was completely glossed over.

Please install Perian. It will solve this problem. It is free. It is easy to install. It WILL work.

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I feel like this bears repeating, since my response was completely glossed over.

Please install Perian. It will solve this problem. It is free. It is easy to install. It WILL work.
I installed it, it still doesn't work. You just drag the perian component file into the QT folder in your library right?

thanks for the help though.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC

i second this. perian is the only thing i've ever needed to play avi files directly in quicktime.

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
i second this. perian is the only thing i've ever needed to play avi files directly in quicktime.
hmmmm, it wont work for me, perhaps I installed it wrong? Do you have QT pro? I downloaded it, double clicked the.dmg and dragged the perian.component file into the quick time folder in my library in my HDD

mhiero

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
problem solved. I downloaded the 3ivx component and the vids play liek a charm :)

Yuvi

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2006
If Perian didn't work for your AVIs, any chance you could send us a sample file that doesn't work? We're always looking to support more where possible.

PNW

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Well I'm in that same boat. I have most of my DVD collection ripped into either divx or xvid in an .avi container. I used DVD-Rip on my linux box (GUI front end for transcode). The files all play fine in VLC but won't in Quicktime just gives a light grey screen and no sound. I've installed Perian, filp4mac, and Divx player and the files only play in VLC. I wouldn't care but this is a mini I picked up to replace the old P3 Dell I've been using as a MythTV box and I'd really like to play / manage the movies in Front Row. I'm happy to provide any more details about the file if it will help you but since they're 4+ GB and copyrighted I'm not going to post them.

Any help on where to go when Perian doesn't work would be greatly appreciated.

Other options:
Can Front Row be reconfigured to use VLC instead of Quick Time (After all, it seems to be more in line with Apple's "things just work on a Mac" mantra)?
In the event I have to rerun transcode on the VOB short of .mov (not supported by transcode) what is the preferred format for QT?

thanks for any tips/help

Corrosive vinyl

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2006
VLC is great, if I can't get something to run in quicktime, it will work in VLC, guaranteed! i think i will look up this xvid codec also.

mpkh

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2008
Amend Audio Midi

Hi

I am a little late to this, but have just spent a very frustrating 2 hours trying EVERYthing suggested by the other posts - however you might also like to try:

In Quicktime, open an avi file & then on the "window" menu, select "movie inspector" & check what the audio output is.

In my instance the audio output on the files was 48,000 BUT my audio output was set at 44100

Once I realised that, I fixed it by doing the following:

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup (/Applications/Utilities/), then check the Audio Output setting.

2. Change the Audio Output setting to 48000.0 Hz.

3. Quit Audio MIDI Setup.

All avi files now working with audio & video!!

Hope this helps

harley3k

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
If Perian didn't work for your AVIs, any chance you could send us a sample file that doesn't work? We're always looking to support more where possible.

I had the same issue - and Perian seemed to not work right away.
The trick was actually quitting out of Quicktime then relaunching it.

annemac

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008

Yuvi do you work on Perian? I have files that won't play in QT or VLC (with Perian installed). Where should I send them?

comictimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Berkeley, California
hmmmm, it wont work for me, perhaps I installed it wrong? Do you have QT pro? I downloaded it, double clicked the.dmg and dragged the perian.component file into the quick time folder in my library in my HDD

I just double clicked the "Perian.prefpane" file and it worked instantly for me... there wasn't even a .component file in the thing I downloaded :confused:

edit: ...and I just realized how old this thread is. Oops. In any case, I'm likin the Perian thing :p

mac68

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Same problem... Solutions don't work

Hi, found this great thread, and I have exactly the same problem.

Have tried all the solutions, but can not get any sound in my .AVI films in QT.

I have QT Pro 7.6.5 as well as QT 10.

The films play WITH sound in my VLC player but want them to work in QT as well so I can watch them is sound via my Apple TV.

I run the latest Mac software, versions etc. I have installed Perian as well as 3ivx (have a 30 day trial version that is still in the trial period so should work).

What is further getting on my nerves is that my mother in law has the same MacBook Pro as me with the same programs and she GETS the sound in her QT Pro 7.6.4.

I have checked her settings and downloads and can not find any differences (even copied her QT to my MacBook in case there was an error with mine)...

ANY help or advise highly appreciated.

Merry x-mas,
Kenneth

<a href="http://www.understandhairloss.org/" >hair loss review</a> and <a href="http://www.understandhairloss.org/hair-loss-treatment.html" >hair loss treatments</a>

addythebat

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
I downloaded and installed Perian to no avail. I've tried multiple files and I've removed and reinstalled twice, still with no effect. Am I daft? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.