Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentg33

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2007
i like transmission, but it seems like it takes long to dl stuff....any ideas on how to speed it up?

steelfist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2005
try using the beta. it's very stable, and it has some new bittorrent features like PEX (whatever that is, but it helps transfer speeds :))

solidgoldmini

macrumors regular
I just purchased a program called Lighthouse from http://www.codelaide.com that opens ports for you with one click. It can even open ports automatically when you open a program, and close them when you quit. I used to do it using Airport Utility, but this program is so much easier. If you don't mind spending about $12, it's well worth it, and is useful for speeding up many internet-using programs. (I am not related to the program at all, I just recently purchased it and I'm really thrilled with it!)

aspro

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Hobart, Australia
A lot of the time when people are complaining about speeds with Bittorrent it is the actual torrent at fault. Bittorrent downloads are speed limited to the amount of bandwidth the seeds and peers give it.

But that said opening the ports is a good idea.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
With transmission I downloaded the SXSW showcase problem free, with no ports open on my Mac and my router set to forward the appropriate port to another IP address, (and later with forwarding disabled), as long as you are getting some upload/download the torrent is the problem not your router.

nihilisticmonk

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
dump Transmission, and use Bit on Wheels, it much better.

Naa, I courtiously disagree.
B.O.W. isn't being actively developed any more, and isn't a universal binary.
Sure it still works, but it isn't exactly kept up to date, or resplendant with features.

Transmission post v 7 (I've been using the daily builds for a while) is a great app.

And if your router supports UPNP and it's enabled, transmission can sort out all your port forwarding without you lifting a finger (cue some "security expert" saying it's a bad idea to keep upnp enabled, but I say go for it, just make sure your router Firmware is up to date).

PEX is peer exchange. lets you download off people faster apparently.
Your client asks clients it's downloading from what (good) clients IT'S downloading from, and adds them to you. Meaning all the guys who are playing nice interconnect with each other.

Hope that helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.