Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alxths

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
Perhaps the US dollar hasn't been so volatile in the past, but do any of you know how good apple is about updating their prices to keep them in sync with exchange rates? To buy a mac right now in Canada is just rediculous... Take the 12" powerbook for example:
1799 USD = 2460 Canadian dollars..
Price of the 12" on apple.ca = 2899

It's almost cheaper to fly down teh the US, buy the computer and then fly back.

mim

macrumors 6502
Same problem in Aus at the moment - there's about $1000 difference between the US and Australia for the 12" PB.

There's also a pretty big difference in prices between the US and UK, but not quite enough to justify flying over just to get one.

BTW, does anyone know how the warrenty works internationally? Can I get one of the guys in our New York office to pick up a PB for me, and still have warrenty cover in the UK & Australia?

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Most companies don't change their prices unless there is a long term exchange rate problem. At the rates Apple are charging in Canada, they should be able to buy up all of Vivendi before long!!!

With 50% of Apple's outside the US you can be darned sure that their 2nd quarter profit is going to skyrocket.

Here is a link about power supplies and how they can affect warranties if you use the product overseas.

Here is another article that discusses the warranty for where the product was purchased. This article is probably more what you're looking for.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says.....when the cdn $$ stabilizes for a bit, and when Apple has its next product roll-out, I think we'll see the cdn prices adjusted.....oh yeah!

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
all of apple's portable products: iBook, Powerbook, iPod... have worldwide warranty.

japan's prices seem closer to the mark... only US$200 difference on the 12" PB :rolleyes:
i think they really do *purposely* rip off australia, canada, europe...

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Originally posted by melchior i think they really do *purposely* rip off australia, canada, europe...
Duff-Man says.....not true. As I said in another thread...when I bought my iPod, apple canada had not yet adjusted the prices due to the decrease in the cdn $$ value...it worked to be cheaper than in the USA. They cannot change the prices daily with the fluctuating currency values...but they do need to look at this on a regular basis though (perhaps more than they do now). anbother thing is that people too often compare USA pre-sales tax prices with UK or european post-VAT prices, whicg of course makes it look worse than it is......oh yeah!

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It costs quite a lot more to buy Apple's products here in New Zealand too. I ended up importing an iBook from the US, and after delivery and tax it was still nearly NZ$1000 cheaper than buying it here. The most difficult part was trying to find a reseller that actually sells internationally, most of them won't.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
Originally posted by Nermal
The most difficult part was trying to find a reseller that actually sells internationally, most of them won't.

they are not supposed to. if they are a good little apple authorised agent they won't. but not all boys and girls are good.

and geez duff-man, that 'duff-man says' and 'oh yeah' is really annoying. i mean. it makes me all skitzy and ****. maybe i need help.

it was cheaper to buy your iPod in canada than in the US? which thread is this? tell me more about the circumstances. i want to know more details.

apple likes to have pretty round numbers and when it comes to international currencies it just makes sense, to apple at least, to round those nunmbers up rather than down... but right now we are seeing something different because of the hugely weak US$

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Well, we get loaded prices over here, my 17" AlBook costs £2835.60 on the Apple site, it costs $3599 on the US site, with an exchage rate currently around 1.62$/£, it'd cost $4594.06 in equivalent terms.

We're fairly used to that over here, Apple's pricing policy has always been heavily slanted to the US.

Just means we have to love 'em more:D

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
it is obvious to everyone why overseas projects make up 50% of their profits. i bet it's only 30% of their sales though. or less.

i doubt apple will be re-asessing anything - except their cash store

pinks

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2003
EH3
Buying with an education discount in the UK, you can get the top-spec 17" for USD 3869.61 (exchange rate: 1 GBP = 1.62151 USD) - this includes VAT at 17.5%.

Not too bad!?

- pinks

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
but you should compare that to the education discount in the usa too.

from the Education store: US$2,999.00 for the 17" PB

(why does apple round everything!!!! argh!!!!):confused:

Schura

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
How much you, guys, pay for a Mac in the US? I mean the final price, with everything (taxes, delivery) included. As I can guess it depends on which state you live in but give me just an example.

In Moscow, Russia Apple.ru only lists "recommended retail prices" (we do not have online store) but those numbers include taxes, i.e. are pretty close to a sum of money you will be separated with after the purchase.

Here, in Moscow, one can get PB17" for 4029$

http://www.apple.ru/price/powerbook/

Ugg

macrumors 68000
Apr 7, 2003
Penryn
Originally posted by Schura
How much you, guys, pay for a Mac in the US? I mean the final price, with everything (taxes, delivery) included. As I can guess it depends on which state you live in but give me just an example.

I
http://www.apple.ru/price/powerbook/

Shipping is free in the US if you buy from the Apple store. Sales taxes vary from state to state. Some states have no sales taxes. Montana, Oregon, Alaska, etc. Others have rates that vary from 4% to 9%. In California it is about 8% so on a 17" PB my final price would be ~$3560.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Just a thought...

While the physical unit sold to places around the world might be the same, the distribution methods are not. I know this won't be the case everywhere but Apple cannot sell the machine at the same equivalent price as the U.S. dollar in, say, Switzerland or Japan, simply because labor and distribution costs in those countries would be more than in the U.S.

I know Japan and Switzerland are probably on the extreme side and can't be used to "justify" price differences elsewhere, but it's something to consider.

Schura

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
3560 - about 10% higher. It's better than I thought.

Thank you for clarification, Ugg

Sch

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
what a frick'n rip off! canadians look!

i was just comparing prices

between the american Apple store and the Canadian Apple store

for the following config
Summary
• Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25GHz w/1MB L3 per proc.
• 256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 1 DIMM
• 80GB Ultra ATA drive
• Optical 1 - Combo Drive (DVD/CD-RW)
• Optical 2 - None
• ATI Radeon 9000 Pro w/64MB DDR
• Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
• 56K internal modem
• Apple Pro Keyboard - U.S. English
• Mac OS - U.S. English
• iPod - 15GB
• APP for Power Mac (w/ or w/o display) - Enrollment Kit

its $3,946 USD in the american apple store

and

$6236 CDN in the canadian apple store
when you convert the american store price to canadian
its

$5402 Canadian

thats before all taxes

so in ontario i have to tak on another 15%!

whats the best way to get to the usa buy the mac and bring it home to ontario. and not pay (much) tax or duty

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.