Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
So I received one today by postal mail from my internet provider (charter). They were notified by this other company, BayTSP, about my actions. Has anyone else gotten any of these? Any advice? By the way, I got this today, the time of the infringement was a long time ago -- February.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
As long as you haven't downloaded anything illegal (songs, software, illegal torrents, etc.) you should be fine?

However, if you're like what I'd guess are a good percentage of those on MR and online forums in general, you might have some problems if you got caught! :(

About the infringement being in February and you getting the notice now, 2 months is pretty normal for it to be recorded, reported, and sent out. Also, isn't the first letter usually just a warning like a cease & desist and then they won't prosecute you? Not any immediate legal action anyway?

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Yikes! Scary stuff...

I pirated some music and an app or two a year or two ago, which I have since deleted. Is there much chance that legal action could be taken against me? For all it's worth, I was 11 or 12 at the time.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
I pirated some music and an app or two a year or two ago, which I have since deleted. Is there much chance that legal action could be taken against me? For all it's worth, I was 11 or 12 at the time.
LOL! If that's all you've done, I think you're quite alright my friend.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
from what i know. there a so many people that pirate music, movies, software, etc. chances are they are not going to take legal action against someone who pirates occasionally. (Not that you should do it) they want the people that are uploading GB's of stuff a week. A company seeking legal action would have probably have to pay more in legal fees than they actual cost of what you pirated. that just my take i could be wrong.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I thought it wasn't a copyright infringement if you download files, just to allow others to download from you.

blackstone

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2005
Washington, DC
I thought it wasn't a copyright infringement if you download files, just to allow others to download from you.

Nope, illegally downloading for your own use still counts as copyright infringement. If you download it and then distribute it to others, though, then you're causing even more infringement -- which means you're extra screwed if RIAA, the MPAA, etc. decide to come after you!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Has anyone else gotten any of these? Any advice? By the way, I got this today, the time of the infringement was a long time ago -- February.
The ex had this happen to him. Got busted downloading and the notice specifically stated what he had been downloading (The Sopranos). He explained to our housemate and landlord, and she emailed the ISP (I think) and explained it was a one-time silly (read: dumb) mistake and that it wouldn't happen anymore.

That seemed to suffice. :)

G' luck, OP. And I hope you've learned from this. ;)

Stadsport

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
People get these all the time and I've never seen anything come of it, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver

In canada it works this way. You also cannot sell your back ups.
But download all you want... :D since we get penalized with a surcharge on cd-r's and dvd-r's

robPOD

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2006
NZ
Lol you should use something like peer guardian. I DL movies, games, songs whatever all the time.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
About the infringement being in February and you getting the notice now, 2 months is pretty normal for it to be recorded, reported, and sent out. Also, isn't the first letter usually just a warning like a cease & desist and then they won't prosecute you? Not any immediate legal action anyway?

That's correct, just a warning.

The thing is, they sent the notice to Charter (my provider) about 7 days after the infringement in february. It took CHARTER 2 effing months to send it to me! If i knew immediately I could cease and desist just fine, I'm done with torrenting forever, go on my marry way right? But now it looks as though I have 2 months of these waiting to get mailed to me for things i wouldn't have ever even thought of downloading had i got the notice on time. :mad:

Don't get me wrong, i did it, i was wrong. I've deleted ALL files that could even have the SLIGHTEST hint of being illegitimate, but it seems this is 2 months too late. :(

Any help?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
explained it was a one-time silly (read: dumb) mistake and that it wouldn't happen anymore.

G' luck, OP. And I hope you've learned from this. ;)

But was it one-time and silly?

And YES I HAVE LEARNED FROM THIS!

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
About 8 months ago my brother got an email from our ISP (Cox) warning us to stop downloading movies illegaly (he downloaded over 40 gigs). Since then he hasn't downloaded anymore and we haven't received any more emails.

I think as long as you don't hear anything from the RIAA or MPAA or anyone like that, you'll be fine. Good luck.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
About 8 months ago my brother got an email from our ISP (Cox) warning us to stop downloading movies illegaly (he downloaded over 40 gigs). Since then he hasn't downloaded anymore and we haven't received any more emails.

I think as long as you don't hear anything from the RIAA or MPAA or anyone like that, you'll be fine. Good luck.

Oohh, this is a little reassuring,(I haven't downloaded anything like that much) was there any time-frame? Could you specify anything as to that? Like the time of the offense to the time of you notifying?

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

it still is infringement, just not as defined my most laws.

That is my understanding too, Thats why the program KDX was so cool and well so shady, as they would use random servers to have people upload from, chances are they did not get permission for a lot of the servers, but yeah. The act of downloading music is not really illegal, but the act of uploading music, software, etc. is. Just like in a lot of places it is not illegal to buy drugs, but it is illegal to sell, have,or use them, but not to buy.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Similar to you, the first notice came weeks after the download was completed. He had since downloaded the rest of the season, they just explained that. :)

Hmm yeah, for now I've specified that I have complied with this instance and have deleted everything. If they send just even one hint of another, I'm going to do everything i can to explain to the company --- direct e-mail, postal mail, calling, etc. to explain my situation then I suppose.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5

As pointed out - nope it could still be illegal depending on your jurisdiction.
And in Canada the Recording Whatchamacalit Levy charged on blank media applies only to recorded music, not to videos.

But remember, if you torrent or Limewire or xxxxx then in the default settings, you are also making the items in your library available to others, and you are acting as a pirate server.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Oohh, this is a little reassuring,(I haven't downloaded anything like that much) was there any time-frame? Could you specify anything as to that? Like the time of the offense to the time of you notifying?

You will not be sued by your ISP. your ISP sends you a letter to basically let you know that they have noticed some bad internet behavior. It does not necessarily mean that the MPAA, or RIAA even know you. So with a letter there is no statute. You break your contact once, they warn you, they could kill your service next time, even after a year or two, it's the ISPs choose, they won't sue you, but they will kill you service or apply charges to your bill the MPAA or RIAA will sue you, get a letter from them and well, it's been nice seeing you use the internet. Right now, don't worry, but since their watching, maybe you should not download anything that is not legit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.