Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Okay, so I have my iMac, :apple:TV and Wii all in close proximity to each other in the family room and my wired internet is nowhere near it.

It seems like the iMac is sensitive to interference (most notably when the Wii is turned on) and when it loses wireless only a reboot will bring it back.

I blame the significant increase in FiOS adoption in my neighborhood and the large # of networks that have sprung up recently.

So I'm seriously considering buying a AEBS-n to connect the family room devices to each other via Ethernet and connect wirelessly to the main net, but I'd rather not have to buy two AEBS-ns.

I've disabled wireless on the FiOS router and use a Linksys WRT54G running Open-WRT. Can the AEBS-n connect to a non-Apply WDS network and activate the wired ports? Or, would I need to but a WRT54GL and hide the ugly beast?

B

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hmmm i'm not sure if I understand your question completely, but I believe you are asking if you can use the airport express as a bridge from the wireless network to the wired one. Indeed you can.

I have a WRT45GS (similar to what you have, i believe) and an Airport Express that picks up the wireless signal and sends it to my tivo/slingbox. I hope I've answered your question. Officially, Apple doesn't support this unless you have an Airport Extreme Base Station. But if you do some googling, you can figure out how to configure it.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Thanks! Sounds like a trip to the Apple store is in order this weekend.

I may still buy two so I can like the two rooms using pre-n and use the 5.4 GHz spectrum.

B

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Yeah I face the same issue... I keep thinking that it would just be so much nicer to get rid of the whole "802.11g thing" in my house. But doing that would require an extra airport extreme base station... that's a lot of money to give a couple things extra bandwidth that don't really need it
Thanks! Sounds like a trip to the Apple store is in order this weekend.

I may still buy two so I can like the two rooms using pre-n and use the 5.4 GHz spectrum.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.