Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BIGDaddyJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
I have a Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66GHz and want to use the dual Apple Cinema Displays that I am currently using on my G5. Problem is the NVIDIA 7300 GT card has 2 DVI ports that are too close together to connect both monitors. The design is kind of poor -- the 2 ports should be at least 1/8" further apart to allow the 2 monitors to be plugged in. The G5 videocard has enough of a distance for the DVI connections to be made quite confortably. You can't even connect the second DVI plug on the NVIDIA 7300. Geniuses at the local Apple store acknowledge the problem but claim that NVIDIA and Apple have no resolution. We tried different plugs; even tried to use adapters to see if it would make a difference. No dice.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

JeffreyM

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2004
Toronto, ON
I have a Mac Pro Dual Core 2.66GHz and want to use the dual Apple Cinema Displays that I am currently using on my G5. Problem is the NVIDIA 7300 GT card has 2 DVI ports that are too close together to connect both monitors. The design is kind of poor -- the 2 ports should be at least 1/8" further apart to allow the 2 monitors to be plugged in. The G5 videocard has enough of a distance for the DVI connections to be made quite confortably. You can't even connect the second DVI plug on the NVIDIA 7300. Geniuses at the local Apple store acknowledge the problem but claim that NVIDIA and Apple have no resolution. We tried different plugs; even tried to use adapters to see if it would make a difference. No dice.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

You know the DVI-DVI cable in the box? That's what it's for.

Jeffrey

BIGDaddyJ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2007
RE: Dual Cinema Displays for Mac Pro w/ NVIDIA 7300 GT?

You know the DVI-DVI cable in the box? That's what it's for.

Jeffrey

Thanks, Jeffrey. I haven't seen the original box since I bought it (so its been a while) and the cable is probably still in there somewhere. It never occurred to me that there was an adapter since I've never run into that problem on any Mac that I've ever been on. I probably did see it and thought nothing of it because it didn't apply to my G5. Another forum pointed out that they did something similar with the Cube -- never had one, so can't confirm. I'll see if I can't dig up that pigtail.

What concerns me is that it would seem like a simple thing someone at an Apple Store would quickly have the answer to... :apple: Geniuses?...

djfilms

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I need the DVI to DVI cable

I need that cable so I can setup dual monitors, anyone have a part number or know of a source where I can buy a replacement?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.