Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Media Rights Technologies (MRT) has filed Cease and Desist letters against Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and Real, claiming that Vista, Adobe Flash Player, Real Player, iTunes and the iPod have been produced “without regard for the DMCA or the rights of American Intellectual Property owners.”

MRT’s X1 SeCure Recording Control has proven effective against stream ripping, the company said in a statement, and these companies have been “actively avoiding the use of MRT’s technologies.”

The rest of the story...

("Nuts.") :rolleyes:

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
So let me get this straight. A large number of technology companies don't purchase or license your dubious sounding technology so you can sue them?

WTF

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So let me get this straight. A large number of technology companies don't purchase or license your dubious sounding technology so you can sue them?

WTF

First, it seems obvious that they don't have a product, because they have just completely destroyed any chance they have of ever making a sale. Second, they are not suing but sending "cease and desist" letters which is a lot cheaper. Third, each of these technology companies can now make live very unpleasant to them by taking the case to court proactively, asking for a declaration that they will not be sued themselves.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
("Nuts.") :rolleyes:

Peanuts? :p No, there were no peanuts involved!

Erm, so this is a bit of a new one. They're pursuing legal action (at least introductorily) against these companies for failing to comply with DMCA by failing to purchase their product? :rolleyes:

I do have to admit that I have, like, and use iRecordMusic. :eek:

But client-side prevention of stream ripping seems like an inefficient way of doing things. Why not sell their technology to stream providers? That deserves another :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.