Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I have never played a FF game and I want to give one a try. I don't have a DS (waiting for SimCity and Zelda), but I have a gameboy advance. I am trying to decide between FF IV advance and FF VI advance. I'm not interested in emulation, I want to buy one. Any recommendations?

Poopface Morty

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2007
Iowa
I'd start with IV, which was originally released as II in the US for the SNES, because it is great, and because VI is way better than that (VI was our III on the SNES) and if you play in reverse order, you'll be disappointed.

Get IV, play it, beat it, then get VI and get immersed. Fantastic.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Maybe not what you're looking for, but have you considered Final Fantasy Tactics Advance? It's quite a good game, albeit a little removed from the traditional FF gameplay, but with enough references to tie in with the main series.

It was the first FF game I played and I really enjoyed it.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I have never played a FF game and I want to give one a try. I don't have a DS (waiting for SimCity and Zelda), but I have a gameboy advance. I am trying to decide between FF IV advance and FF VI advance. I'm not interested in emulation, I want to buy one. Any recommendations?

Start with VI, then by the time you have a DS IV should be out for it. Don't get IIIDS.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
Start with VI, then by the time you have a DS IV should be out for it. Don't get IIIDS.

I agree with this. IV is actually getting a little dated now (though I still love it), so VI is a great place to start. Many people consider it to be the best FF ever, so see if you enjoy it before starting on the not-as-great ones.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I agree with this. IV is actually getting a little dated now (though I still love it), so VI is a great place to start. Many people consider it to be the best FF ever, so see if you enjoy it before starting on the not-as-great ones.

I second this. VI was AWESOME!

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
Thanks friends. I think I'll go with VI. I don't have much time to play games and the odds of me getting through both any time soon are low. I suppose I was a little concerned about difficulty or barriers to entry, but no one seems to be saying that I'll have a tougher time starting with VI rather than IV. Jimi thanks for the suggestion but I can easily pick up VI and VI at local stores, plus I wanted to get into one of the big "numbered" games. When you consider that my first system was an atari 2600 and my second was a gamecube 25 years later, I have a large gap in gaming history to fill in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.