Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKingdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
so i was wondering if it's possible to have my screensaver slideshow as my desktop like an animated desktop; i recently installed onyx, which has a limited feature to run certain screensavers as desktops (like the preinstalled "abstract" "flurry" and other screensavers), but not the "choose folder" slideshow, which i would have liked to have (constant changing animated desktop with fading and ken burns effect), does anyone know if another program does this or if it's possible?

edit: i have found that built in within osx i can do this by "changing background picture" every x seconds, and it even does fade! however, it doesn't do ken burns effect like the screensaver so i was still wondering if you guys know of a 3rd party solution or if i can get onyx to do this for me. thanks!

HawaiiMacAddict

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2006
On one of my Macs of course
Aloha UKingdom,

I use a program that exactly fits your needs. It's called Backlight and can be found at the FreeMacWare site, one of my absolute favorite websites. Contrary to what mrkramer posted, however, I have experienced no slowdown whatsoever with my 20" Intel (Core Duo) iMac. It's really nice, and gets a lot of "Wow"s when people visit, especially when I use Flurry :D

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

UKingdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
well, i found out you can do it by running this script in terminal, but you have to keep terminal running in the background

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

i tried looking for backlight but website is down; any alternate sources?

UKingdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
the first program posted above works too! i have it in my dock so i can turn it on and off

UKingdom

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
i couldn't get backlight to work but the other program listed above works perfect on m 20 inch core 2 duo intel imac.

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
well, i found out you can do it by running this script in terminal, but you have to keep terminal running in the background

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background

i tried looking for backlight but website is down; any alternate sources?

put an & after that command in terminal, and you can close it and have the screensaver keep running. Like so:

/System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

ScouseMac

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2008
Actually the command you want is

nohup /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app/Contents/MacOS/ScreenSaverEngine -background &

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.