Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
How do I set a specific application as my default? For example whenever I open a PDF I would like preview to open rather than adobe. I am familiar with ctrl clicking the file and then hitting option so that it becomes open always, but that is after the fact and I would rather not have to do it every time. So if you know how to set the application as the default I sure would appreciate your advice.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Isn't the way Adobe Acrobat sets itself to be the default reader of PDF files the most infuriating thing in the world? Why would anybody want to open all their PDF files and wait for this big huge app to launch?

This is why I don't install it. I do not have the answer, but I'd be interested in finding out.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Get Info> Open with: (select app from drop down menu)> click "Change All..."

Picture 3.png

I think. :eek:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Hmm... in all these years I had no idea how to do that.

EDIT: Actually, that didn't work. I did that to a JPEG file (I'd rather view them in Preview) but a lot of my other jpg files still are set to Photoshop.

EDIT #2: I lied. Some still have the Photoshop CS3 icon, but they still open in Preview. I guess that's why I always thought that never worked.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Hmm... in all these years I had no idea how to do that.

EDIT: Actually, that didn't work. I did that to a JPEG file (I'd rather view them in Preview) but a lot of my other jpg files still are set to Photoshop.

EDIT #2: I lied. Some still have the Photoshop CS3 icon, but they still open in Preview. I guess that's why I always thought that never worked.
Actually, after your first edit, I tried the method I (and devilot) mentioned above and it did not work. It changed the icon and default app for one file, but all of my other pdf files still open with Adobe Reader.

...Perhaps someone else could try. :confused:

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
yeah that's exactally what I wrote above as being the problem. I am mad because I once knew how to do this, but I can't recall now. I think the way to do it takes place in finder in applications and not the specific document, but that's all I can remember now.

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
Figured it out!

It is always nice when you answer your own questions haha. So here is what to do:

Go to the Finder then select the file, in my example a PDF file, and click on and open Get Info. When the info box opens you will see the application that is currently the default listed under Open With. Use the drop down box where the current default is displayed and select the application you would prefer to be the default application. Below the drop down check the box "Use this application to open all documents like this" then when prompted select Change All.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It is always nice when you answer your own questions haha. So here is what to do:

Go to the Finder then select the file, in my example a PDF file, and click on and open Get Info. When the info box opens you will see the application that is currently the default listed under Open With. Use the drop down box where the current default is displayed and select the application you would prefer to be the default application. Below the drop down check the box "Use this application to open all documents like this" then when prompted select Change All.
How is that different than the method devilot and I said? :confused:
...but did it at least work for you?

EDIT: Darn, one minute late (twice!) :eek:

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2006
haha yeah it is similar. I didn't realize it until now or missed it. but mine is much more verbose hahaha thanks everyone this was useful, something i often don't say when walking away form a macrumors post.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
that doesnt work for me. i have alot of .cwk files (made in appleworks) and id like them to all open in word on default. when i try that method it just changes the one file even if i do change all

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.