Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A.Fairhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
England
Hi, I'm having a small problem with my Mac Pro. Sometimes when the machine auto-boots at 7:30am from having been shut down the day before (as set to), rather than a white screen with an apple in the middle on startup, there's a white screen with a grey circle with a line through it (this happens about 30% of the time just recently)

After powering down and powering up again, it's fine. Whenever I manually start up the machine, it's fine. Does anyone know what the cause of this is and/or how I can fix the problem?

I've run TechTools Deluxe on the startup disk, and everything passes (still running the surface scan, which is about 55% complete, but has 0 errors thus far.)

Running OS 10.4.9, left and middle USB ports being used, LaCie 500GB HD in the FW800. Wireless apple keyboard and wireless mighty mouse. 30" ACD. All the HDs are from Apple, 1GB of the 5GB RAM is from Apple, the rest from Crucial.

Many thanks in advance,
Kind Regards

jshbckr

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
This doesn't sound EXACTLY like the problem I was having, but similar.

My 8-core (also with 1GB of 5 from Apple, but the rest from MaxUgrades) would boot up to a blank grey screen, the same shade as the screen with the Apple logo.

I would restart over and over and it still had it, and holding option would do nothing (I am running Boot Camp).

Well it turned out it only booted with this screen if my iPod (5th Gen) was connected during startup.

It seems as long as my iPod is disconnected, it will boot up fine.

A.Fairhead

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2006
England
Thanks for the info, there :)

Interestingly, as luck would have it, it's not happened since I posted in the forums. I guess my Mac figured itself out, or something :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.