Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Just realized that Apple is selling the black MacBook for the same price as the 12" PB before it was discontinued ($1499). Considering the PB was aluminum, no wonder Apple is making so much money...

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Its not really, you have to think of it in relative terms:

the Powerbook 12" has a higher relative spec in terms of when it was released than the Macbook has now.

Also, Apple charge you more for the colour.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
Its not really, you have to think of it in relative terms:

Exactly. Bigger screen, more ports, two (not one) processors, larger drives, more memory, faster opticals, thinner case, and built in camera.

Also, Apple charge you more for the colour.

Apple isn't "charging" you. If you feel the price for the special edition MacBook is not worth it, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Exactly. Bigger screen, more ports, two (not one) processors, larger drives, more memory, faster opticals, thinner case, and built in camera.

I think you know this, but chex meant relative to the other Apple laptops at the time.

Consider that the 12" PB was the low-end PowerBook (equivalent to a low-end MacBook Pro today if it were still made).

The black MacBook is a high-end consumer model (like the previous 14" iBook, but in black), however it is being priced as a low-end MacBook Pro.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
I read something on here not that long ago and someone said that the blackbook is actually meant to replace the 12" PB. Makes sense I spose.

Yes, that is what Apple themselves said. My point is that Apple is now charging the same for a high-end consumer model as they previously did for a low-end "pro" model.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007

Apple isn't "charging" you. If you feel the price for the special edition MacBook is not worth it, then don't buy it. Nobody is forcing you to.

a) It doesn't seem you understand the word 'relative' (and for an ultraportable smaller is better).

b) It's not a 'special' edition, they do charge proportionately more for it because of it's black - its economics 101 if people don't want to look like the stereotypical apple fanboi that can't carry a rational conversation (i.e. you) they buy the black version.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
a) It doesn't seem you understand the word 'relative' (and for an ultraportable smaller is better).

Exactly. The black MacBook isn't the PowerBook G4 12" replacement. It's just a normal MacBook painted black.

I don't get what you're point is.

b) It's not a 'special' edition, they do charge proportionately more for it because of it's black - its economics 101 if people don't want to look like the stereotypical apple fanboi that can't carry a rational conversation (i.e. you) they buy the black version.

Am I buying or have I bought a black Macbook? No. Having a normal white MacBook (which I also don't have) doesn't make anyone an Apple fanboy. It means they didn't want to pay more for the black paint. If you don't want to pay more for it, then don't buy it. What exactly are you complaining about? That a special edition product you want costs more than you are willing to pay?

:rolleyes:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
"Together with the 15-and 17-inch MacBook Pros, the new MacBook completes Apple’s Intel-based portables lineup and replaces both the iBook and the 12-inch PowerBook."

Yes, in the sense that the 12" was discontinued and the MacBooks filled out the line price-wise. But as this thread is suggesting, the MacBook (white or black) is not a literal, satisfactory replacement of the 12" PowerBook.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Exactly. The black MacBook isn't the PowerBook G4 12" replacement. It's just a normal MacBook painted black.

I don't get what you're point is.

'my are' point is that in relative terms the pb 12" was higher specced relative to the ibook/powerbook gap than the macbook is relative to the macbook pro, and the reason the blackbook costs the same as the pb 12" is that they charge you more for the colour.

What exactly are you complaining about? That a special edition product you want costs more than you are willing to pay?
:rolleyes:

It's just a normal MacBook painted black.

Apple isn't "charging" you.

It means they didn't want to pay more for the black paint.

can't make up your mind?

Who's complaining? I said they charge more for the black version and they do, or do you not understand the concept of an observation either? It's not a 'special edition' product, it costs more because it's more desirable and is the reason why the macbook tops out at the same level as the powerbook.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
I would never get a Black MacBook because they just look like every other crappy looking PC out there; BlackBooks are just retarded and a waste of money because of their shi tty unoriginal color.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
Interestingly, I just discovered that when the iBook G4 first came out, the pricing structure was 1099/1299/1499 just like today's MacBooks, and the 12" PB was then 1799/1999.

So it looks like one benefit of dropping the 12" PB was that it allowed Apple to charge top dollar for the MacBooks. If history is any guide, when the 13" MBP is released it'll also be 1799/1999.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
'my are' point is that in relative terms the pb 12" was higher specced relative to the ibook/powerbook gap than the macbook is relative to the macbook pro, and the reason the blackbook costs the same as the pb 12" is that they charge you more for the colour.

The black MacBook does cost more than the normal MacBook. But they aren't charging you in the sense that you are somehow tricked or forced to buy this MacBook. You can buy any of the other MacBooks.

"you're" was going to be followed by "trying to say" until I changed it to "point is." Calm down, this isn't an english debate.

can't make up your mind?

I was consistent the entire time. You are not required to buy a black MacBook.

Who's complaining?

Well somebody certainly is.

I said they charge more for the black version and they do, or do you not understand the concept of an observation either?

Either in addition to what? Your comments sound like you are complaining that you want a black MacBook but you don't want to pay for it. There's my observation.

It's not a 'special edition' product

It's black. This is what makes it special. It's a special edition black MacBook. "Special edition" is not in the name, but that's what it is. It's identical to the rest of the product family, but is painted black, and costs more.

it costs more because it's more desirable and is the reason why the macbook tops out at the same level as the powerbook.

Right... but it's not a direct replacement for the 12" PowerBook. We still haven't seen one come out of Apple yet.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
FFS

I didn't say it's a replacement, I originally said that the pb 12" was relatively better specced in its time, i.e. the macbook is not a replacement; then I went on to say that the macbook is only at that price level because they charge more for the black one.

and you get on my case because from somewhere you get this random idea that I want one and assume that I'm compaining about it because of the price premium, and that I'm touting the macbook as a pb 12" replacement.

macjay

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2003
then I went on to say that the macbook is only at that price level because they charge more for the black one.

While it's true that they charge more for the black one, as I said in my last post the previous time Apple released a new consumer laptop platform (the iBook G4), the pricing structure was exactly the same.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
I would never get a Black MacBook because they just look like every other crappy looking PC out there; BlackBooks are just retarded and a waste of money because of their shi tty unoriginal color.

Well, I'm not buying the MacBooks because they're white and I don't want people thinking I have an iBook. Copying the iBook, how unoriginal.

alright, I'm done troll feeding.

SavageLLama77

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
Well, I'm not buying the MacBooks because they're white and I don't want people thinking I have an iBook. Copying the iBook, how unoriginal.

alright, I'm done troll feeding.
¡Tú eres un tárde americáno! Look Einstein, the white color of macs is and always will be original; because almost all other computers are not white (apple did it FIRST, making them original- enter "define: original" if you are having trouble understanding). Black Macs, however, make them look like every other crappy PC out there, because PCs were black BEFORE Macs. Hopefully, but using these simple words, you can finally understand the concept of originality. ;)

spooks99

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
¡Tú eres un tárde americáno! Look Einstein, the white color of macs is and always will be original; because almost all other computers are not white (apple did it FIRST, making them original- enter "define: original" if you are having trouble understanding). Black Macs, however, make them look like every other crappy PC out there, because PCs were black BEFORE Macs. Hopefully, but using these simple words, you can finally understand the concept of originality. ;)

I don't know that PCs were black before macs. The oldest apple laptops I remember were black. I still have very fond memories of my Powerbook G3. That's why I, personally, like the blackbook--I think it has a classic look. It reminds me of my G3. And besides, there are plenty of metallic PC laptops around. Does that mean that the MBPs or G4 Powerbooks are unoriginal, or crappy? All apple laptops look sleek and original, in my opinion, regardless of their color. And the only premium charged for the blackbooks now is $50--i.e., a white macbook with the same specs will cost only $50 less. Silly to charge more for the color alone, sure, but this isn't the terrible outrage so many people are making it out to be. Besides, if you don't want a blackbook anyways, why should you care about the look or the cost? Plenty of other people obviously like the blackbook, since it sells quite well, so it's good for Apple, and thus good for Apple fans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.