Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Chicago
How can I get iPhoto to put all of my pictures in one folder? Right now I have a Modified folder and Originals folder. When I want to print the pictures online, I go to my Modified folder to select the ones I want. But if there are pictures I didn't modify, they aren't there. They're in the originals folder. So that's a pain to go back and forth when I have hundreds of pictures. How can I get these photos to automatically go in one folder, modified and originals together.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Rather than mess with the iPhoto folder structure (which is asking for trouble), how about you make a Smart Folder which contains the contents of both? :)

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Chicago
Wouldn't that mean manually moving pictures every time I upload them? There is no way I can manually move pictures. I upload pictures by the hundreds.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't quite know what you mean. I don't mean to be rude, but do you know what a Smart Folder is? It won't move any of your files. It's a similar concept to a Smart Playlist in iTunes. :)

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
When I want to print the pictures online, I go to my Modified folder to select the ones I want.
Have you tried selecting the pictures from within iPhoto and dragging them to whatever application you're using to upload them to be printed? iPhoto is smart enough to pass the correct filename and path to the application that you're dropping it on.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
Wouldn't that mean manually moving pictures every time I upload them? There is no way I can manually move pictures. I upload pictures by the hundreds.

I don't quite know what you mean. I don't mean to be rude, but do you know what a Smart Folder is? It won't move any of your files. It's a similar concept to a Smart Playlist in iTunes. :)
A Smart Folder really is a good suggestion. You should check it out, rather than physically looking to rearrange all your pics.

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    77.5 KB · Views: 110

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
How would you setup a Smart Folder that showed all of the pictures in the Originals folders except those pictures which also exist in the Modified folder (and then have it display the Modified ones)?

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
DO NOT muck about with the iPhoto folder. Don't even open finder and mess with it. You are ONLY asking for trouble.

Select the pictures you want to upload in iPhoto, and drag them to whatever app you're using to upload pictures with. Alternatively, Drag them to a folder on the desktop (or just to the desktop). This will create a copy of the photo that exists outside iPhoto which you can mess around with and do whatever. When you're done, you can delete this file and everything will still be in iPhoto.

iPhoto is for photos what iTunes is for music. You should NEVER have to look into the folder structure for ANYTHING.

TheBonk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Chicago
How do I get items in a smart folder, just drag them in?

I have another question that I might as well post. When I delete photos in iPhoto, they still remain in the originals folder of the iPhoto library. Why don't they delete from the folders as well?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The mighty and philanthropic xsedrinam's link has some pertinent information about Smart Folders. You don't add files but you add parameters and the folder updates in real time as to what parameters you give it. If you choose to use Smart Folders, remember that you should not modify the image names as it will then mess with iPhoto. If possible, follow aristobrat's excellent advice and use iPhoto to directly work with all your images, however I understand that some apps won't let you drag files to them from iPhoto.

As for the second question, are you remembering to empty the trash from within iPhoto?

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
How do I get items in a smart folder, just drag them in?

Smart folders are just that. Smart. There is no manual moving of anything. The only thing you tweak are the parameters. Think Google for your photos and smart folders are your saved searches that update in real time.

I have another question that I might as well post. When I delete photos in iPhoto, they still remain in the originals folder of the iPhoto library. Why don't they delete from the folders as well?

When you delete in iPhoto it'll put those "deleted" files in iPhoto's own trash. You can then I believe (since I'm on a PC now) right-click on that trash icon and empty it, permanently.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I strongly second what Cameront9 said -- STAY OUT OF THE FINDER! You are risking corruption, photo loss and other assorted miseries! If you will use iPhoto app to choose the photos you want to upload, you won't have to worry about "originals" and "modified". They will be where and how you left them! Just export or copy to a folder on your desktop, and then send to your offline printer (or wherever else you want to send them -- websites, etc.) and all will be well. The library in finder is meant only for iPhoto's use and not the user. Just use the app -- it's easier and safer. You are making things much harder for yourself than it needs to be.

nightsky

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2007
SA,Tx
What do u mean by iPhoto Ap?

I am new to mac and trusted its reputation enough to unknowing download my photos from camera to iPhoto. I did not use Picture Project 1.7 because I need to be able to organize, edit, and create CDs I can pop into any computer and access. Appreciate links to simple how to organize and use iphoto since I am sure this question is too basic.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I am new to mac and trusted its reputation enough to unknowing download my photos from camera to iPhoto. I did not use Picture Project 1.7 because I need to be able to organize, edit, and create CDs I can pop into any computer and access. Appreciate links to simple how to organize and use iphoto since I am sure this question is too basic.
FWIW, in pretty much all of the iLife applications (iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, etc), if you load the application and click on Help (and let the Help tool load), at the bottom of it, there should be a "On the Web" tutorial link.

For iPhoto, the link is:
http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/iphoto/

It's pretty awesome. It has videos that show you pretty much every step.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.