Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Here is how I do it:

From the Windows virtual machine:
1. Open "My Computer".
2. Right-click the C drive and select "Sharing and Security..."
3. Select the "Sharing" tab in the window that pops up.
4. In the middle section, you should see "Network sharing and security".
a. Check the box next to "Share this folder on the network".
b. Check the box next to "Allow network users to change my files". (optional)
c. Click the "Apply" button in the lower, right corner of this window.

From OS X:
1. From Finder, go to the "Go" drop down menu from the menu bar.
2. Select "Connect to server..."
3. You can either enter the IP address of your Windows virtual machine or click the Browse button. (if you use the IP address method, type in "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx should be the actual IP address)
4. Enter the username/password of your Windows virtual machine.

The Windows virtual machine's C drive should now be on your desktop and you will be able to access all the files and be able to put files in there for use on Windows.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Any other suggestions? I wasn't able to share between my Mac and Vista.

How do I find the IP address of my virtual vista machine?

I have Leopard and VMwareFusion loading Vista Ultimate.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
i found the way to go from mac to vista, but how about vista to mac? is there a way to make a shortcut in leopard to the vista shared folders? and vice versa?

TIA

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
pastrychef

One more question. When I am in my VM Windows window, how can I get from within windows to my files that are on my server?

IE from within windows how do I see my network folders that are not on my Mac?

Thanks

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
On a windows 2000 server that is connected to the Mac via a router and cat 5. I can see the files between the Mac and the server no problem. I just want to be able to see the files from within windows xp also.

Thanks

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY
Try the following:

1. Click the Start button in the lower left corner.
2. Select My Network Places.

You should be able to see everything now, but if you don't... Try:

3. Click "View workgroup computers" on the left of the window under Network Tasks.

tlccreates

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
printing

I am in the same situation as earlier poster
I am able to see the shared files/folders, from within XP, that are on my Mac but I can't get beyond the Mac. I have internet access from windows via IE so I know that it can get thru to the network, but I can't find a way to get at the networked printer or other computers that are sharing on the home network. I am running VMwareFusion on my MacBook running Leopard. When I go to the Network by way of Windows Explorer it only shows my Z drive which is the shared folders with the Mac, even when going thru the home network or anyother avenue I could think of.

I tried installing the printer driver for the networked printer but it still could not find the printer, even when I gave it the ip address

Thanks for any assistance :)

odoyle81

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
concern regarding turning on windows file sharing

The above instructions on how to access windows files by connecting to the server worked great for me. My question / concern is this:

Since windows is now shared, does this create a security risk that someone could access the ip of the VM, or is this just a localhost address? how exactly does it work? I'm not familar with "smb" and why you are using that before the ip address.

Thanks!

odoyle81

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2008
one more question - where I see the servers that I am connected to? I closed the finder window & now I don't know where to find that server.

Thanks!

karrol

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks so much...

My hubby recently purchased me my first Mac OS X and I have been an eager learner of all things Mac related ever since. I wouldn't even look at windows if I didn't have to use QuickBooks Pro for our company. :(

I was using bootcamp but the tedious task of rebooting every time I needed QB was getting old. I never wanted to leave the mac side...:rolleyes: I did try paralells but wasn't happy with the performance. I eventually installed a demo of VMWare and that was quite a difference. I needed the information in this post in order to share files with the external drives I had installed via USB.

I just wanted to give a big "THANKS" to pastrychef for these excellent instructions! It couldn't have been put any simpler.

Now I can use QB without rebooting!

So THANKS again pastrychef!

Here is how I do it:

1. Open "My Computer".

From OS X:
3. You can either enter the IP address of your Windows virtual machine or click the Browse button. (if you use the IP address method, type in "smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx should be the actual IP address)

The Windows virtual machine's C drive should now be on your desktop and you will be able to access all the files and be able to put files in there for use on Windows.

luiscarloss87

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2010
i know this post is old but i have to say thank you because i try to find everywhere someone who explain this process, i know is easy, but i didnt know nd is many people who need it.

from Colombia i thank you again for ur time. and bby the way do u know how to change the name of the server that appear after i clic brose on my mac? because appear a weird name with my files, how i can change this?

and my mac doesn't ask me for any password so i guess any computer have access to my files on windows, can i make a password? or this is happening because i dont have a password on my account on windows xp

Here is how I do it:

1. Open "My Computer".

From OS X:

macwidget

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
vmware/mac file sharing

i use fusion 2.0.7 and mac osx 10.6; simply go to "virtual machine" on the menu bar, select "shared folders" and follow along with what you want to do. you can also create a shared folder in mac and set it to use microsoft smb for sharing. simple as pie. plus you can sync/mirror folders between your virtual and the mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.