Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appledrummer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2007
All the pictures of the iphone from apple show us every angle of it besides the top. In Steve Jobs's macworld keynote he said the sim slot/card would be on the top. Has apple purposely not shown us the top of the iPhone for a reason? Here's a pic of the iphone's top that I found on flickr. There is some glare but do you think that there is a SIM slot?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axb500/425942783/in/pool-iphone/

toneloco2881

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
All the pictures of the iphone from apple show us every angle of it besides the top. In Steve Jobs's macworld keynote he said the sim slot/card would be on the top. Has apple purposely not shown us the top of the iPhone for a reason? Here's a pic of the iphone's top that I found on flickr. There is some glare but do you think that there is a SIM slot?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/axb500/425942783/in/pool-iphone/
Posted this picture on another forum. Looks like a sim card slot to me.

apple-iphone-49.jpg
apple-iphone-49.jpg

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Yes, the iphone has a sim slot along the top. I can confirm this as I have seen a final build iphone in person. It is like a rounded rectangle with a little dot at the corner. This could be a light or something you have to press to open the tray.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Yes, the iphone has a sim slot along the top. I can confirm this as I have seen a final build iphone in person. It is like a rounded rectangle with a little dot at the corner. This could be a light or something you have to press to open the tray.

Nice work. The dot, by the way, probably functions like the indentation on the bottom of the Apple Remote - you push it to pop the "door" out.

kevinwiz

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2007
socal
nice find! so that clears that up. not that I ever doubted it. this eliminates a deal-breaker for me

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
Now if only the same door allowed for user replacement of the battery, hid a front-facing camera, and enabled iChat... :p

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
are you talking abou the black bar on the side? cos that's not it, it's on the top explained buy one of the posters above, you can see what he's talking about faintly in the picture.

sportsfanMAW

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2006
wouldn't it be way cool it that popped up and it was a front facing camera for video chatting :D

wishful thinking i know :(

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I thought that thing on the side was just a rubber grip or something, isn't there one on the other side too?

this may sound dumb but is a sim card good for just people who wanna use it outside of the states or does this somehow add hope for those who are with other carriers?
If the iPhone wasn't locked to AT&T SIM cards, you could jut pop in any SIM from any GSM provider and use their service.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I thought that thing on the side was just a rubber grip or something, isn't there one on the other side too?

The thing on the side is a volume control. That's not what the pictures are about - there's a very slight rounded rectangle on the top surface. That's the SIM slot.

tvguru

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
Kenora, ON Canada
I'm sure you'll be able to unlock the phone to make it work on other GSM carriers using the multi-touch with a fancy 5 finger to 10 finger entry method. You'll have to draw a design with all your fingers or something. :p

PokezoN

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2007
Posted this picture on another forum. Looks like a sim card slot to me.

apple-iphone-49.jpg
apple-iphone-49.jpg

I'm pretty sure SJ said in his Keynote that this is the volume ... and that the SIM slot (if it will have one) will be in the back (or on the top .. couldn't get that)

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
Just to clear up the confusion, I have circled what is supposedly the sim slot (i think it might be too).

Attachments

• sim.jpg
    sim.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 271
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.