Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tennor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Hi all!

I bought and use an iMac G5 (right before the Intel change). I love having a MAC. But will all the new cool features that Leopard has, will I be able to use Leopard on my machine?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Most likely.

As far as I know, they haven't released the specs yet on hardware requirements, but there's a 99.9999999% chance your iMac will be supported.

RaMaz

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2007
Most likely.

As far as I know, they haven't released the specs yet on hardware requirements, but there's a 99.9999999% chance your iMac will be supported.

For PowerPC G4, G5, And Intel

Tennor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
Great! Thanks, guys! I just may have to upgrade when it comes out. I've felt left out with all the Intel and Windows capabilites and the faster speeds of the newer models. But, I'm glad I've had my iMac for over a year now.

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
Yes, Leopard will breath new life into G5 machines, since it is fully 64bit in kernel and userspace. The 64bit G5 processors can take advantage of all the 64bit goodness.

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
I am sure you will be able to run Leopard on your iMac. It's just a question of whether you will be able to run all the features on it, particularly the graphic (eye candy) features. I remember that when Tiger was released, it had a minimum graphics card requirement to enable the ripple effect when launching the dashboard. Maybe some restriction like that will apply for Leopard, but i can only speculate. Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.