Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Pretty much as the title says... I'm really stumped on this..

It's now the second time its done it. The first time I checked and verified permissions, verified the disk and it said that it needed to be repaired... Repaired it and all was well...

Try and clone its HD so I can do a clean install to get rid of 3 years of rubbish and big bits of software like VPC... it failed, froze, restarted, no ding... fully loads..

Im rather concerned. At the moment it works, as far as I can tell, perfectly... just no ding!!

Ideas?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
is the sound/speaker volume on mute? I don't think it effects the ding noise but i could be wrong. Does the ding noise come from a different speaker other then the ones on the sides

Willis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
1) speaker volume doesnt effect the Ding... its default to go on at startup... for some reason, it isnt..

2) no, havent reset PRAM.. doubt that would be a fix either

Willis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
reset the pram, it solves so many weird problem. Almost always is the fix.
besides its simple click power button and hold down option apple "p" and "r"

yeah I know it can... but... this?! I will give it a shot... at the moment I'm trying to clone the drive again... but I'm not going to touch the damn thing this time!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
1) speaker volume doesnt effect the Ding... its default to go on at startup... for some reason, it isnt..

Yes it does. Mute your sound and restart to test it, maybe on another machine though. :p

With the disk repair, did you continue running it 'til it made no changes? Running it once sometimes doesn't suffice.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Yes it does. Mute your sound and restart to test it, maybe on another machine though. :p

With the disk repair, did you continue running it 'til it made no changes? Running it once sometimes doesn't suffice.

It doesnt... I tried that years ago out of curiousity... also, I know the sound isnt muted because it was making noises when I tried to click on anything.

I ran it until it said 'Disk repaired'

I've already done another Verify, and its said its fine, as did Onyx

deadpixels

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
people have been trying, unsuccessfully, to get rid of / change the startup sound in macs for years, you should be happy!!
anyway, repair permissions and delete the "com.apple.Powermanagement.plist" located in HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration folder

Willis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Okay, so are you saying the machine is otherwise fine, but it's not giving you POST feedback?

as far as I can tell... its fine... but not hearing that Ding is worrying... Its as if its a sign... no ding, something bad gonna happen..

thanks for the advice though guys

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
The startup sound has nothing to do with the OS. It's built into Open Firmware. You could have no hard drive installed, and you will still hear the startup sound. Are you getting sound when the computer is booted?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
no ding, yet was booting fine...

Anyway, it cloned fine... and afterwards, Ding-ed as usual...

I did however reset the PRAM, and when I did, the Ding was slightly quieter than the first... *shrug* either way, the HDD is getting nuked for a clean install

Sopranino

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2006
Alberta, Canada
The startup chime is sounded if everything on the pre-boot check is fine, no chime means that there is a problem. You indicate that you are running a PowerBook, one of the most common failures on certain models of PBs is for the lower memory slot to quit. (Happened to mine) Everything will still boot and work fine but you will only be running on whatever size of memory stick is in the upper slot. I suggest that you click on the Apple icon (upper left of the screen) and then click on 'About this Mac', this will pop up a little window that tells you two main items, the speed of your processor and the amount of memory installed. If the amount of memory showing as installed is less than what you know you have then chances are one of your memory slots has died.

Post back with your results.

Sopranino

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
no ding, yet was booting fine...

Anyway, it cloned fine... and afterwards, Ding-ed as usual...

I did however reset the PRAM, and when I did, the Ding was slightly quieter than the first... *shrug* either way, the HDD is getting nuked for a clean install

Nooooo! How many times do you need to hear that the startup sound has nothing to do with software? That's nothing, as in nothing!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Test it if you don't believe me, but the mute keys on a Mac's keyboard can indeed mute the POST. This has not always been the case, but is certainly applicable in 10.4.9.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Pre-OSX, the POST sound volume could be set along with the system volume. Since OSX, I've never had much luck changing it, but I haven't tried recently either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.