Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
I searched through recent threads and didn't see anything about this yet.

I got Mario Party 8 last night and upon inserting the disc and going to the disc channel, the Wii prompted for a system update, which it did rather quickly; too quickly for an internet-downloaded update, which leads me to believe this update was installed off of the Mario Party disc. I meant to look to see what version the firmware was and if it was even a firmware revision at all.

Has anyone else (without Mario Party) gotten notice of an update? Anyone with Mario Party get an update? And what does the update do/fix?

Just curious to find out more. I'll post the firmware version when I get home

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently it was a patch for some settings thing. No new functionality (like mass storage devices and/or keyboard support).

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
It just means that you never updated your system. I didn't have to update anything to play MP8.

MP8 is a half-arsed lazy port btw... they could have at least made the games widescreen with no bars, and got rid of the nasty frame rate issues before they released it to the Wii.

Ed

jdechko

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
It just means that you never updated your system. I didn't have to update anything to play MP8.

MP8 is a half-arsed lazy port btw... they could have at least made the games widescreen with no bars, and got rid of the nasty frame rate issues before they released it to the Wii.

Ed

I've downloaded all of the System Updates from WiiConnect24, but this was something different (I should have looked at google first).

I'll agree that it's not a great port and the lack of widescreen sucks (I didn't even notice :eek: ). But I had no issues with framerates, and my wife actually had a lot of fun and even beat me in several minigames. I really bought it as a game we could play together, so hopefully we'll get some more game time together. :)

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
I've downloaded all of the System Updates from WiiConnect24, but this was something different (I should have looked at google first).

I'll agree that it's not a great port and the lack of widescreen sucks (I didn't even notice :eek: ). But I had no issues with framerates, and my wife actually had a lot of fun and even beat me in several minigames. I really bought it as a game we could play together, so hopefully we'll get some more game time together. :)

Eat a duelo candy and watch the framerates ;) its not choppy, its just slow.

I have a 52" widescreen HDTV running the wii at a glorious 480p (oooo aaaaaa), i notice things like bars on the sides and sloppy framerates ;)

They could have done better, unfortunately they didn't.

Ed

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They could have done better, unfortunately they didn't.

Ed

Sound's like practically every Wii release so far.

At least with Wii Freeloader out at the end of the month 'reportedly' I can get to play Super Paper Mario.

Haoshiro

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2006
USA, OR
My wife, myself, and a friend all got together and had a lot of fun with MP8.

I thought it was fun and quite good, although I haven't played an MP game since N64 :D

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I like Super Paper Mario. I've liked all the previous installments though too. It's not a system maker by any means, but it's a solid title to have in the lineup.

Paul

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
As a Gamecube owner without a Wii, I'm frustrated that all these games that were going to be Gamecube games were ported over to the Wii. At least they released Zelda still, but I'd have liked to have Super Paper Mario too.

pcypert

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2006
Bangkok
I'd imagine Brain Age was also Wii original as it'd be stupid on the Cube. Zelda certainly wasn't a Wii game. I don't know if Elebits was? Also possibly Trauma Center?

Paul

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.