Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Is there a way of dating a mac by looking in the os. Like checking the system profile, or something?

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
You can click the :apple: at the top left of your screen, and go to About this Mac. Then click on More info... and compare your specs to computers listed in MacTracker

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Not to my knowledge, really you can best date your mac by telling what kind it is (iMac, PowerMac, MacPro etc) and then telling what kind of processor it is and how much speed it has.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Your Mac's serial number will reveal all. Try entering it into this website and it'll tell you the year, month and place of manufacture.

In case you don't know, you can find the serial number easily by looking in the About This Mac window lamina mentioned – click twice on the version of the OS that is listed, and it'll show you the serial.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Your Mac's serial number will reveal all. Try entering it into this website and it'll tell you the year, month and place of manufacture.

In case you don't know, you can find the serial number easily by looking in the About This Mac window lamina mentioned – click twice on the version of the OS that is listed, and it'll show you the serial.

What a great site! I knew when which year I'd got it just not which month (or week!)

dex22

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
I don't know about you guys, but the idea of entering my serial number into some unaccountable site is... Reckless.

Go to http://www.apple.com/support/

In the bottom left corner, enter your serial number. Apple will tell you the model, the original date of purchase, and give you customized support, repair and registration options.

Much more useful, and safer than some random site in the Netherlands.

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
I don't know about you guys, but the idea of entering my serial number into some unaccountable site is... Reckless.

Go to http://www.apple.com/support/

In the bottom left corner, enter your serial number. Apple will tell you the model, the original date of purchase, and give you customized support, repair and registration options.

Much more useful, and safer than some random site in the Netherlands.

What could someone do with a serial number?

dex22

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Round Rock, TX
With your serial number, they can register your machine to themselves, then report it stolen. They can carry out all manner of frauds leaving you as the scapegoat. They can clone your machine's identity.

It's the reason you see so many screenshots with the serial number blurred. There's a good reason for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.