Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fyrsiege23

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Hi I am new to these boards and I am wondering if anyone has heard if the iPhone will work with Alpine decks through the iPod cable? The only reason I ask is because it looks like the iPhone has the same connection as the iPod. It would be great if I can plug in the iPhone and have it work with my Alpine deck. Just curious if anyone has heard anything about it. TIA :)

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
I'm sure everyone who is thinking of buying an iPhone and is wondering whether [INSERT MANUFACTURER'S NAME HERE] deck in their vehicle will work. I have a Kenwood iPod adapter, and yes I hope it works. Does anyone know yet? Doubt it.

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
I'm sure everyone who is thinking of buying an iPhone and is wondering whether [INSERT MANUFACTURER'S NAME HERE] deck in their vehicle will work. I have a Kenwood iPod adapter, and yes I hope it works. Does anyone know yet? Doubt it.

if you have a 3.5mm Aux jack it will work in any system.

too bad the iphone probably wont show up as a UMS device, if it did, USB decks could just read direct from flash memory and charge the phone at the same time as it does with my Meizu (i have a KD-G820 deck BTW, it can even read SD, MMC, CF, MS cards!)

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I have an older model Alpine/ipod setup in my truck. It would be my guess that it would work due to the dock connector, however it would be rather awkward to answer a phone call. A bluetooth system would be better suited.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
if you have a 3.5mm Aux jack it will work in any system.

too bad the iphone probably wont show up as a UMS device, if it did, USB decks could just read direct from flash memory and charge the phone at the same time as it does with my Meizu (i have a KD-G820 deck BTW, it can even read SD, MMC, CF, MS cards!)

Well as the OP and I were talking about, (at least i think they were) decks that have the 30-pin dock connector. Such is my situation.

GnrlyMrly

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I ws wondering the same thing. I just got one of the alpine headunits installed in my audi about 3 months ago, hopefully it won't be a waste of $600.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I don't see how it would work, however Alpine and Apple have been close allies in the car audio arena. I would hope there is some car functionality build into the phone the will work with current headunits.

I would like to see it pause a song when I call comes in and divert to a bluetooth headset.

viggen61

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
New Jersey
Hi I am new to these boards and I am wondering if anyone has heard if the iPhone will work with Alpine decks through the iPod cable? The only reason I ask is because it looks like the iPhone has the same connection as the iPod. It would be great if I can plug in the iPhone and have it work with my Alpine deck. Just curious if anyone has heard anything about it. TIA :)

I'd like to find that out, too. I have an Alpine deck with the dock cable, and use it with my iPod daily. It would be nice to not have to tote both the iPhone and iPod to work daily.

As for calls, it would seem that, with an interface like this, that it should be a simple matter to use the audio connection to listen to the caller via the car's speakers, and either the built-in speakerphone mic in the iPhone or - at worst - a separate mic for the audio into the iPhone for the call...

But of course what seems simple on the outside, may not be.

But that sure would be nice, and I wouldn't have to pay Alpine $200 for their bluetooth adapter!:) :apple:

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
From what I understand of the situation. If you plug something that isn't made for iPhone into the dock connector it will put the phone in Airplane mode. So I am betting that when we plug it into our source units it will act just like an ipod and basically forward all calls to VVM.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I will be (hopefully) getting 2 iPhones in about 2.5 hours. I will post later today how it reacts to being plugged in to a vehicle.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
I have an Alpine CDA-9856 with the dock connector. The iPhone works fine. I plugged it in and got the "Searching" message on the head unit for a few seconds and then my music started to play. I brought my home phone out and called the iPhone while it was playing music. As with the headphones plugged in, the music muted and the phone rang. I answered the phone with the the Alpine interface still plugged in. The call was there and I could have a conversation. The only issue was that when I was talking on the phone while it was still connected to the Alpine interface the stereo emitted some static out of its speakers. Outside of that it worked fine.

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
Some additional information: I just went out for a drive in my vehicle with my iPhone attached to my Alpine CDA-9856. it seemed to work well howeverwhen the phone transmits or receives you get interference through the head unit in the form of static through the speakers. It's a little annoying when your grooving to a tune you're into. I suppose this is something the car audio manufacturers will need to address.

staz

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2006
Pittsfield, MA, USA
Some additional information: I just went out for a drive in my vehicle with my iPhone attached to my Alpine CDA-9856. it seemed to work well howeverwhen the phone transmits or receives you get interference through the head unit in the form of static through the speakers. It's a little annoying when your grooving to a tune you're into. I suppose this is something the car audio manufacturers will need to address.

I have the same head unit and have a question... when you say you get static when you transmit and receive, do you mean for the duration of the call? I'm a little confused as to when the static occurs. Does it make the conversation difficult? Also, what microphone are you using? The iPhones? If so, do you have it mounted on your dash so it's closer to your mouth?

One more question... what's the music quality like compared to you iPod?

I really love the Alpine 9856... and really hoping my iPhone (ETA 2-4 weeks) works well with it!

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
I have the same head unit and have a question... when you say you get static when you transmit and receive, do you mean for the duration of the call? I'm a little confused as to when the static occurs. Does it make the conversation difficult? Also, what microphone are you using? The iPhones? If so, do you have it mounted on your dash so it's closer to your mouth?

One more question... what's the music quality like compared to you iPod?

I really love the Alpine 9856... and really hoping my iPhone (ETA 2-4 weeks) works well with it!

This occurs when you aren't even on the phone. One thing I do have setup is for my email to be checked every half hour so when it goes out to check I think thats when the static occurs. On a call the static occurs the whole call. This isn't static in your iPhone conversation, its just from the stereo. I am using the multin in mic to talk. I do not have it mounted on my dash. I just hold it up to my ear.

I use the iPod cable. Since it plugs into the dock connector I wonder if that is where the interference is being generated from. I just picked up the AiNet AUX adapter. It plugs into the AiNET port in the back of the stereo and allows you to connect any MP3 player via the headphone jack. I am going to try that out and see if there is still interference.

The other reason why I want to connect it that is because the sound quality is very inconsistent. I could be listening to a song that sounds fine then when the next song comes on the sound of the song is much quieter like its a poor recording. When I plug my nano in everything sounds fine. I will let you know how it goes. This is a deal breaker for me. If I can't get this working well with my stereo its going back to the store.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Does any of your connectors actually charge the iPhone? My CB-100II (Pioneer) charges my Nano, but not the iPhone. Hmm, that isn't good.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
Great thread I have an Alpine deck too, but Ive been to lazy to drive about to test it out. I will test to see how mine works tomorrow on the way to class.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
most likely it will work and pop up a message about how the device wasnt made for an iphone blahblahblah see

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/iphone-works-with-ipod-music-docks-but-not-video-docks-274052.php

but if you are truly concerned, take your device to the apple store. they'll probably let you try it on a phone.

Yeah it asks if you want to activate Airplane mode. If you don't and get a call the speakers will make funny noises (sometimes) while the call is active and the phone is plugged in. Oh man I just realized how awesome the iPhones auto correct is. I had tons of spelling errors it would auto correct for me!

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
This occurs when you aren't even on the phone. One thing I do have setup is for my email to be checked every half hour so when it goes out to check I think thats when the static occurs. On a call the static occurs the whole call. This isn't static in your iPhone conversation, its just from the stereo. I am using the multin in mic to talk. I do not have it mounted on my dash. I just hold it up to my ear.

I use the iPod cable. Since it plugs into the dock connector I wonder if that is where the interference is being generated from. I just picked up the AiNet AUX adapter. It plugs into the AiNET port in the back of the stereo and allows you to connect any MP3 player via the headphone jack. I am going to try that out and see if there is still interference.

The other reason why I want to connect it that is because the sound quality is very inconsistent. I could be listening to a song that sounds fine then when the next song comes on the sound of the song is much quieter like its a poor recording. When I plug my nano in everything sounds fine. I will let you know how it goes. This is a deal breaker for me. If I can't get this working well with my stereo its going back to the store.

I've got the 9857 (very similar head unit), and I agree completely. If the iPhone doesn't work with my stereo as well as my Nano does, then it just isn't going to work for me. Definitely a deal breaker. A shame, too, because I was really looking forward to getting a phone that plays well with all my fruit-related stuff.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Well I have the alpine 9883 and it is working, sort of. I plug it into the cord, then it just says searching, nothing plays. For some reason if I have my iphone playing while I connect it, it starts playing, but out of the iphone speakers (while still saying it is connected to an unsupported device).

Any tricks or steps I should do to make this work?

Only good thing is that it charges it while connected and I have the aux input (used for my sirius) so I could make it work, but I prefer the ease of use of the dock connection.

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
><><><><
I dont know what model I have, I wil have to look when I get in my car, but my iPod works fine with the deck. When I first plug it in and it says the accessory isntt made for the iphone, but the deck eventually finds it and its plays. I can also search all the playlists and the sound goes down whenever a call comes in. I forgot to look to see if it was actually charges.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I dont know what model I have, I wil have to look when I get in my car, but my iPod works fine with the deck. When I first plug it in and it says the accessory isntt made for the iphone, but the deck eventually finds it and its plays. I can also search all the playlists and the sound goes down whenever a call comes in. I forgot to look to see if it was actually charges.

That would be great.

So you connect it to the ipod cable and how long does it take? Do you have it on the ipod setting when you connect or do it before the car starts? Also do you select a playlist?

Sorry, just frustrating hearing some people have it working while mine isn't.

slazareth

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2006
I have the Alpine 9885. It works awesome with my iPod Nano, but my iPhone gives the dreaded airplane mode message. If in Airplane mode I can play music through my car stereo, but if not in Airplane mode the music will come out of the iPhone's built in speakers. This needs to be remedied right fast.

ejl10

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Boston, MA
I have the Alpine 9885. It works awesome with my iPod Nano, but my iPhone gives the dreaded airplane mode message. If in Airplane mode I can play music through my car stereo, but if not in Airplane mode the music will come out of the iPhone's built in speakers. This needs to be remedied right fast.

In Airplane mode do you have full control from your head unit? In other words, does it work the same as your Nano when in Airplane mode?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.