Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScooterDMan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2004
Tampa, FL
Anyone know how? I need to add the Mac Address to my router so I can get on the internet via wifi.

Any help would be appreciated.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
You are my hero. I looked everywhere but that General section... I'm way too giddy.

Thanks!

What if my iPhone doesn't have a wi-fi address listed? I am connected to EDGE constantly, and am suspecting this is why.

Any thoughts?

Hes Nikke

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2001
Goto Settings>General>About and its listed there

i tried that, and had a blank space next to "Wi-Fi Address". than i joined a network and it gave me my MAC address... 1 more than the Bluetooth MAC address..... interesting....

cristianx

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2009
can anyone help me find ENTIRE mac address???

31072009370.jpg

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
i tried that, and had a blank space next to "Wi-Fi Address". than i joined a network and it gave me my MAC address... 1 more than the Bluetooth MAC address..... interesting....
Your MAC address is hard coded into the phone.
The network does not assign it.

breakfast

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
When talking about the iPhone, are the terms Wi-Fi Address and MAC Address interchangeable?

In other words does it mean the same thing?

breakfast

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2009
Thanks Demi-God.

I am new to the iPhone and would therefore still need some help in locating the MAC address of the iPhone which I believe is the string that I need to input in my router's MAC address filter settings, so that I can have my iPhone go online at home.

Your help is appreciated.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Try this:
To figure out the MAC address of your iPhone, start at the home menu. Select Settings -> General -> About. Scroll down that screen and you’ll see a setting called “Wi-Fi Address”, that is your iPhone MAC address.

Now enter that exact address as an allowed MAC address on your wireless network. The directions on this will vary because every router’s menu and interface is different so consult your router manual if you need help with this.

Once you have done this, go back to your iPhone and go to the Settings menu again. Select Wi-Fi and it should display your network in the list of available networks to connect to. Click the network name to connect.

ultrarunner

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2010
iPhone MAC Address for Router

I followed the instructions posted to obtain the iPhone MAC address for my iPhone so I can use it in my home's WiFi network. I obtained the iPhone's WiFi address (which is supposedly the MAC address of the phone), entered it into the Wireless Card Access List on my Netgear Router (I have a list of other computers we use in the house on this list) under iPhone. I then went to iPhone settings, turned on WiFi and it showed my network here in the house. But it's asking a password for access which has not been done before. All other computers in the house, when I've added the MAC address for the device to the Router's Wireless Card Access List, and I use any of those computers in the house, the computer automatically finds the network and there's no request for a password.

I've tried entering in the password I use to access the Router as the administrator. But it's not accepting that password on the iPhone and it dismisses joining the WiFi network in the house.

Anyone know what the problem is??

Thanks
Len

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The wifi address is NOT the MAC address. These two are different although found on the iPhone in a similar fashion. Source.

Lol sources can't just be random web pages. Point in case your source and it's incorrect info. Actually LOOK in your iPhone.

Screen shot where it says MAC address :)

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Anyone know what the problem is??
Log in to your router's admin interface and tell us what the security setting is. Your device wouldn't ask for a password if your router wasn't requiring it for access. Sounds like you need to confirm your settings.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Pinging wi-fi address does not get response

U are trying to revive a 3 years old thread, and the other answers don't make sense either.

Why do you need the MAC address? Normal usage you should not need to know what this is.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Why do you need the MAC address? Normal usage you should not need to know what this is.

Not to keep this old thread alive, but, actually, there are plenty of "normal" reasons to get the MAC address. Some users lock down their routers using a MAC address whitelist, where only MAC addresses specified on a list are assigned IPs and the rest are ignored (looks like the OP has this).

Also, if you're in a more sophisticated network environment (example: an office setting where a Windows Server domain controller is in charge of handing out IP addresses through DHCP), having the MAC address of specific devices can be useful if you want to set up an IP reservation, where a certain IP address is held for a specific device unless it's absolutely needed by something else.

annaharris

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2012
San Francisco
To find out the MAC address of iPhone, Follow the steps. Go to start at the home menu. After that Select Settings -> General -> About. Scroll down that screen and you’ll see a setting which is called “Wi-Fi Address”, that is your iPhone MAC address.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.