Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
When I connect my iPhone to my Mac it pulls iPhoto and iPhoto recognizes my iPhone, but iTunes doesn't see the iPhone at all.

I can't even start to activate my iPhone, because iTunes (version 7.3) doesn't recognize it.

Anyone else having this problem???

Update: I tried my iPhone on a PC running Windows XP SP2 with iTunes 7.3 and I get nothing!!!

SOLUTION
iTUNES not recognizing iPhone, couldn't activate
After going to Apple’s troubleshooting page and doing all resets, reinstalls, and double checks, I called tech support. I am running XP Home SR 2 and the updated iTunes.

Long story short, I had to go into My computer, manage, services and applications, then services, then click to drop down services. I found iPhone Mobile device service listed. Mine was showing nothing in the status window. I doubled clicked the iPhone Mobile device and opened it to see the service had been stopped. I restarted it and it remained running. I then opened iTunes and it recognized the iPhone right away. I registered in less than 3 minutes and am up and running. Good luck.

Dippo

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 27, 2003
Charlotte, NC
Perhaps you should consult the iPhone Troubleshooting Guide on Apple's Support website for iTunes: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/troubleshooting/itunes/

coolosxapps

Thanks but I have already been through all of that.
I am currently on the phone with support, but they don't seem to know what the problem is.

There are other people in other forums that are having the same problem, but the only solution so far has been to return the iPhone :(

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
I have the same problem with my vista pc. I can get it talk to itunes on a restart, but the next day I try to sync, it's dead again.

I don't really want to be restarting my pc everytime just so itunes can find my iphone. My ipod has never encoutered this problem and always show up in itones when I plug it in.

So I did a quick search here and found this thread. Went into the services and found one called Apple MObile Device. It showed as started, and set to automatic. I restarted the service, and the iphone showed up in itunes within seconds!

This sounds like a bug to me!

fh2level

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2006
ATL
Solved? i dn't see where anyone said how they solved this problem?
The same thing is happening to me, my iTunes on my Vista 32 laptop works just fine but when I plug it into my XP system the computer will recognize it as a camera but when I open iTunes it never sees it. Just downloaded the latest version of iTunes last night (7/13/2007). I have uninstalled itunes, repaired itunes, restarted my computer and still noting.

Antaios

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
New York City
When I connect my iPhone to my Mac it pulls iPhoto and iPhoto recognizes my iPhone, but iTunes doesn't see the iPhone at all.

I can't even start to activate my iPhone, because iTunes (version 7.3) doesn't recognize it.

Anyone else having this problem???

Update: I tried my iPhone on a PC running Windows XP SP2 with iTunes 7.3 and I get nothing!!!

SOLUTION
iTUNES not recognizing iPhone, couldn't activate
After going to Apple’s troubleshooting page and doing all resets, reinstalls, and double checks, I called tech support. I am running XP Home SR 2 and the updated iTunes.

Long story short, I had to go into My computer, manage, services and applications, then services, then click to drop down services. I found iPhone Mobile device service listed. Mine was showing nothing in the status window. I doubled clicked the iPhone Mobile device and opened it to see the service had been stopped. I restarted it and it remained running. I then opened iTunes and it recognized the iPhone right away. I registered in less than 3 minutes and am up and running. Good luck.

hey Dippo... or ne one, same issue here.... the iphone mobile device service is set to automatic and it is not started. when I click the drop down box, click start, it starts and then stops immediately. I called apple tech support.... they said something is conflicting with the service but offered no idea as to what. DOES anybody know how to fix this??

Scottzen

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
I'm having the same issue with Apple Mobile Device

When attempting to start the Apple Mobile Device service on my XP SP2 system, I receive an alert message which states:

"The Apple Mobile Device service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they have no work to do, for example, the Performance Logs and Alerts service."

I too have spoken with Apple tech support (was on the phone for 2 hours), and was told the same thing -- "it must be conflicting with something."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

chelseahardaway

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Resolution to this problem on Mac OS X

I had this problem, with the iPhone first only launching iPhoto, and iTunes not recognizing it. I was running 10.3.9 at first, along with iTunes 7.3.1. Even after I downloaded Tiger (10.4.10), it still didn't work. But the solution is to reinstall iTunes, after you've already installed Tiger and all the associated new OS 10.4.10 updates. Then iTunes will recognize your iPhone. Apparently iTunes 7.3.1 will install different versions of itself depending on which version of the Mac OS you're running. Seems obvious now...

chelseahardaway

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
Resolution to this problem on Mac OS X

I had this problem, with the iPhone first only launching iPhoto, and iTunes not recognizing it. I was running 10.3.9 at first, along with iTunes 7.3.1.

Even after I downloaded Tiger (10.4.10), it still didn't work.

But the solution is to reinstall iTunes, after you've already installed Tiger and all the associated new OS 10.4.10 updates. Then iTunes will recognize your iPhone.

Apparently iTunes 7.3.1 will install different versions of itself depending on which version of the Mac OS you're running.

Seems obvious now...

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I restored on June 30th, and today, and the volume is still the same. The volume does seem louder for iPod content, so I think that a software update could allow the phone content to be played louder.

fh2level

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2006
ATL
I only have Apple Mobile Device, and iPod Services under my Services, both say they are started, and I tried restarting them both but iTunes still does not see my iPhone :mad:

caromba

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2007
iPhone not showing up in iTunes

If you use Windows and run a firewall, try turning off the firewall before syncing the iPhone. (My iPhone was not showing up in iTunes, but this worked for me.)

mappler

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2010
USBAAPL.sys is bundled to iTunes . When you installed, it is automatically put
USBAAPL.sys driver in your computer.

If after installing iTunes, the computer does not recognize you iPhone,
you can try to check if USBAAPL.sys is present in C:\Windows\system32\drivers .
If you could not find it there try download USBAAPL.SYS driver here : http://fileml.com/0h4Gs
(The servers hosting the file is down from time to time, if it´s down choose another download mirror)
If that link is not working try one of the mirror links below:
http://jafiles.net/0h4Gs
http://fileups.net/0h4Gs

If you have USBAAPL.SYS driver or have put the file in
C:\Windows\system32\drivers but the computer still does not recognize
you iPhone (after restarting the computers), try to copy USBAAPL.SYS into
C:\windows\inf folder and try again.

If it STILL does not work, try this last step (this step worked for me)

Note: This driver is used by iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iPod shuffle (3rd generation and later), iPod nano (3rd generation and later), and iPod classic. If you have an earlier model iPod, this set of steps does not apply.

1. Disconnect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the computer.
2. Take a photo with the iPhone. For iPod touch or iPad, save a screenshot by pressing the Home button and Wake/Sleep buttons and letting go. The screen should flash briefly. (Taking screenshots and saving images on iPod touch requires software version 2.0 or later.)
3. Open the Device Manager in Windows, as follows:
Windows XP: Click Start > Run. In the resulting dialog type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard.
Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click Start. In the dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click "Continue".
4. Expand the sections labeled as follows. Not all sections may be listed:
* Imaging Devices
* Other Devices
* Portable Devices
* Universal Serial Bus Controllers
5. Re-connect your iphone
6. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod for the iPod touch.
7. Right click the device and select properties, then driver, then update driver.

Taadaa! Windows should now detect an iphone device and install the correct drivers.

Hope this helped.

luke1138

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Solved? i dn't see where anyone said how they solved this problem?
The same thing is happening to me, my iTunes on my Vista 32 laptop works just fine but when I plug it into my XP system the computer will recognize it as a camera but when I open iTunes it never sees it. Just downloaded the latest version of iTunes last night (7/13/2007). I have uninstalled itunes, repaired itunes, restarted my computer and still noting.

I had this problem too. Turned out my apple mobile device driver had a problem. Followed the instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538 to reinstall the usbaapl.inf driver from c:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers and it immediately recognized the iPhone in iTunes again.

MichaeltheMan

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2010
I just solved the big mystery!!!!!
I have a Mac (new) my itunes used to be connected through a HP desktop running XP. New Mac was not recognizing the iphone in iTunes but iPhoto was recognizing as a "camera" device. Here's the fix......ready? Power down PC....disconnect usb power cord from iphone.....Power iPhone down also. Leave both off for 2 minutes.....Power up "reboot" computer (don't open anything), power up iPhone, connect usb to computer then to iPhone. iPhone should appear in both places (iphoto & iTunes) . Let me know how it goes.
:apple::)

Renata Radeka

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2011
I just want to thank this forum, yesterday as I was plugging my Iphone into my PC to recharge (I haven't done it in a while in this way) it completely blacked out and did not respond to ANYTHING. I was sure it collapsed and I will never see it functioning again, then I logged into one of these forums, and I was so happy to learn that it seems to be a problem with Itunes rather than the Iphone itself. So the next day (as I did not have my wall charger with me) I confidently put my Iphone on the wall charger and after a little bit of patience - it works as new!!!!
If there was not for the forum I would have panicked and probably not even try the wall plug in.
THANK YOU ALL!

darquiem

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2011
Yay!

USBAAPL.sys is bundled to iTunes . When you installed, it is automatically put
USBAAPL.sys driver in your computer.

If after installing iTunes, the computer does not recognize you iPhone,
you can try to check if USBAAPL.sys is present in C:\Windows\system32\drivers .
If you could not find it there try download USBAAPL.SYS driver here : http://fileml.com/0h4Gs
(The servers hosting the file is down from time to time, if it´s down choose another download mirror)
If that link is not working try one of the mirror links below:
http://jafiles.net/0h4Gs
http://fileups.net/0h4Gs

If you have USBAAPL.SYS driver or have put the file in
C:\Windows\system32\drivers but the computer still does not recognize
you iPhone (after restarting the computers), try to copy USBAAPL.SYS into
C:\windows\inf folder and try again.

If it STILL does not work, try this last step (this step worked for me)

Note: This driver is used by iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, iPod shuffle (3rd generation and later), iPod nano (3rd generation and later), and iPod classic. If you have an earlier model iPod, this set of steps does not apply.

1. Disconnect the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from the computer.
2. Take a photo with the iPhone. For iPod touch or iPad, save a screenshot by pressing the Home button and Wake/Sleep buttons and letting go. The screen should flash briefly. (Taking screenshots and saving images on iPod touch requires software version 2.0 or later.)
3. Open the Device Manager in Windows, as follows:
Windows XP: Click Start > Run. In the resulting dialog type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard.
Windows Vista or Windows 7: Click Start. In the dialog, type devmgmt.msc and press Return on the keyboard. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click "Continue".
4. Expand the sections labeled as follows. Not all sections may be listed:
* Imaging Devices
* Other Devices
* Portable Devices
* Universal Serial Bus Controllers
5. Re-connect your iphone
6. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod for the iPod touch.
7. Right click the device and select properties, then driver, then update driver.

Taadaa! Windows should now detect an iphone device and install the correct drivers.

Hope this helped.

I love you mappler! Downloading that USBAAPL.sys file and dropping it in C:\Windows\system32\drivers folder worked instantly! iTunes recognized my older iPhone, couldn't believe it! Took me a while to find the file, those links you have didn't work or I didn't get it, but regardless I finally found it from a MEGAUPLOAD link (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TG3SYBAA). Again, you're awesome, and I would've never figured it out on my own. Hope this works for everyone else with the same or similar issue.

Luke6465

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
This Works!

:) This worked on iPhone 4s on a MAC Tower with OS 10.8.3

iphone is now recognized in iTunes and syncs!

I have a Mac (new) my itunes used to be connected through a HP desktop running XP. New Mac was not recognizing the iphone in iTunes but iPhoto was recognizing as a "camera" device. Here's the fix......ready? Power down PC....disconnect usb power cord from iphone.....Power iPhone down also. Leave both off for 2 minutes.....Power up "reboot" computer (don't open anything), power up iPhone, connect usb to computer then to iPhone. iPhone should appear in both places (iphoto & iTunes) . Let me know how it goes.

nurarina

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2013
i'd tried all the way that have been stated in this thread unfortunately the itunes continuously failed to detect my iphone :(
then i feel like changing my usb cable with my bro's. i try to sync again and poff ! success !
haha so here i just wanna tell you that the problematic one maybe the usb cable. have a try dude :D

MEPetersen13

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2017
THANK YOU....tried other suggestions on Forum and nothing changed. Tried yours and 2 1/2 minutes later iphone was connected to macbook. Appreciate the time you took to enter your solution

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.