Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stork

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2007
What is the best way to uninstall programs from Mac OS X, apart from dragging the icon to the trash can?
Is there a proper way to remove programs?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Dragging to the Trash is the proper way of uninstalling most applications on the Mac. The applications suggested by Father Jack probably can't do any harm, but they don't do much good either.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Just trashing them is fine. If your paranoid about having something left on the computer, you can just as easily do a spotlight search for program you trashed and it will show all the folders it had been installed into. Basically the same thing the AppZap or the cleanapp will do, just another approach.

stork

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2007
thanks, i think trashing will be best then, i'am a new convert to Mac and with windows moving to the recycle bin still left alot of rubbish on your hard drive.

sfisher

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Albuquerque, NM USA
thanks, i think trashing will be best then, i'am a new convert to Mac and with windows moving to the recycle bin still left alot of rubbish on your hard drive.

The difference is that with most MacOS X applications, all of the files they need are packed into that one icon. You can Control + click on an icon and select Show Package Contents to see what all is in there. A preference file or two is left over in your home directory, which the other tools mentioned can probably remove. In Windows, there are entire directory structures, registry entries and files installed into the Windows system directories.

Sandie Lee

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
Cat Spring, Texas
Still Learning

I know this is an old thread, but I'm still getting acquainted with my new MacBook, and I am very thankful to have found not only this thread, but this site. I haven't had a Mac in about 15 years. This site is definitely a great resource! :D

Tutlewsk1

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
Removing Programs

Thanks for the help on removing programs from my Mac. There were a couple of responses to another members question. I just found this sight quite by accident. I was trying to figure out how to remove software and APPs from my Mac. When I got my first Windows computer, it was shortly after Windows 95 came out. I remember thinking then that this system was flawed because they did not have a Macro written to allow you to drag and drop software into the trash. I found this out the hard way though. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that Mac did go through this trouble to make life simpler for us.

I just got this about 2 weeks ago. I had been wanting a Mac for a few years now and finally got this Macbook pro a couple of weeks ago. I had a Sony Vaio for just over 2 years. It was a nightmare. It was in the shop more than a Fiat Spyder. I finally got the store to give me a replacement. I upgraded without a second thought and NO plans of looking back. So far I LOVE it.

Thank you, again, everyone who posted to the previous members question.

I look forward to sharing with you in the future.

tutlewsk1

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
GGJStudios will soon post the reasons why apps like Clean my mac and App zapper may not be the best solution.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks for the help on removing programs from my Mac. There were a couple of responses to another members question. I just found this sight quite by accident. I was trying to figure out how to remove software and APPs from my Mac.
Since you've revived this 2 year old thread, it's appropriate to address some of the posts made here. AppZapper, AppCleaner, CleanApp, TrashMe, and similar apps do not do a thorough job of removing all files/folders related to deleted apps. I tested several of these, using Skype as the app to be removed. Of 17 items to be removed:
AppZapper missed 13 items
AppCleaner missed 11 items
AppDelete missed 8 items
Hazel missed 9 items​
I also tested AppTrap, CleanMyMac and a few others, but don't recall how many items they missed. All left files/folders behind. In most cases, they remove .plist files and a few others, but leave behind much larger files and folders. (you will find a discussion of these tests in the thread linked below)

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

The only effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

mckait

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
I have App Zapper and App cleaner ..
It is impossible to delete them.. at least so far. I have tried everything I can find. They do not stay in the trash. I actually got the app zapper to rid myself of the other..

suggestions? I have tried all of above . I had Snow Leopard professionally installed last year and it is updated. Thank you !

vicshere

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
Ditto

Thanks for the help on removing programs from my Mac. There were a couple of responses to another members question. I just found this sight quite by accident. I was trying to figure out how to remove software and APPs from my Mac. When I got my first Windows computer, it was shortly after Windows 95 came out. I remember thinking then that this system was flawed because they did not have a Macro written to allow you to drag and drop software into the trash. I found this out the hard way though. So I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that Mac did go through this trouble to make life simpler for us.

I just got this about 2 weeks ago. I had been wanting a Mac for a few years now and finally got this Macbook pro a couple of weeks ago. I had a Sony Vaio for just over 2 years. It was a nightmare. It was in the shop more than a Fiat Spyder. I finally got the store to give me a replacement. I upgraded without a second thought and NO plans of looking back. So far I LOVE it.

Thank you, again, everyone who posted to the previous members question.

I look forward to sharing with you in the future.

tutlewsk1

That's spooky, exactly my situation, too! And I am equally delighted I did the switch. With an iPhone, too, life is a lot smoother, and quieter, and productive. And my gadgets look better as well.
:)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have App Zapper and App cleaner ..
It is impossible to delete them.. at least so far. I have tried everything I can find. They do not stay in the trash. I actually got the app zapper to rid myself of the other..

suggestions? I have tried all of above . I had Snow Leopard professionally installed last year and it is updated. Thank you !
Read the link in post #10 on fully deleting apps. Following those directions will delete them.

nathjg

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
On this topic..

Question on this topic.

I have been having a lot of trouble using my new Telstra USB internet stick.
Taking Telstra's advice i downloaded software from their website, turns out it isn't the correct version.
So i have now downloaded the correct version. When i attempt to install the software the wizard tells me it is unable to install on my hard drive due to a newer version already installed.
I have searched everything and looked every where i cannot find any more existing software.
Can some one help please?

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Uninstall the old version by moving it to the trash and following the directions posted by GGJ Studios.

Then install your new one.

nathjg

macrumors newbie
Jun 27, 2011
I realise that. Sorry if i wasn't clear. I have searched for everything and looked every where for anything related to the device or device software and have deleted it all..
still the wizard says i have a newer version already installed...?

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2011
Read the link in post #10 on fully deleting apps. Following those directions will delete them.

Is that easier or harder than the 'Microsoft Office' instructions to delete before I use the disc to reinstall just the parts I want, do you think?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is that easier or harder than the 'Microsoft Office' instructions to delete before I use the disc to reinstall just the parts I want, do you think?
You can use the MS Office uninstallation process, but if you run into problems, the manual method may help.

ladytonya

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
Glad I found this before downloading clean my mac! I made the mistake of downloading Chrome and it was just eating up system resources so I started deleting it and there seem to be files everywhere! I hope I have found them all because when I search for google or chrome there are a ton of hits. Ugh!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Apparently its a scam and my Facebook is super slow on Safari and the Dislike button does not work. How can I really get rid of this "Getdislike" thingy from my Safari? I've tried all sorts of way but still fail :( Help me please!

Did you try Safari > Preferences > Extensions > GetDisLike > Uninstall ?
That would be the common way to remove extensions. If that doesn't work, follow the instructions in the link in post #10 on fully deleting apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.