Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Horse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2003
What is a good program to use to monitor your connection speed?

When I used my Airport under OS9 it would tell you what your connection speed was.

Under OSX I can't find anything that tells me what my connect speed is.

I'm upgrading to DLS in a few days but I'm nerdy and want to know how fast things are slinging back and forth.

Is there something in OSX I'm missing or is there a good freeware program to download and have running to monitor this?

Thanks!

Horse

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
mrmacman's idea is a good one for constant monitoring, but i would use the DSLreports or other speed test to measure your actual best speed. you can't just start downloading something to check that, as you never know how good the server is for sure.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Constant bandwidth monitor

Konfabulator has a widget called "NetPulse" which will make a nice little graph and digital readout of your bandwidth. It might even have logging capabilities. Of course, Konfab has its own little processor intensive quirks....

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
Re: Constant bandwidth monitor

Originally posted by AnotherMortal
Konfabulator has a widget called "NetPulse" which will make a nice little graph and digital readout of your bandwidth. It might even have logging capabilities. Of course, Konfab has its own little processor intensive quirks....
not to mention that it costs money and takes up more space than stuff in the menubar :)

Horse

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 31, 2003
So far, it's rocking my boxers!

I downloaded the menu meters and they truly rock! Fiting right up there on the menu bar is truly ingenious - and the info you get back is kick ass.

Combining that with DSL Reports and I'm awash in numbers.

Nerd heaven!

Thanks for all your help!

Horse

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
well, if you enjoy menubar hell/heaven, you may also want to have a look at the following:

Meteorologist--the weather in your menubar.

UptimeInMenuBar--what more can i say?

Spy--a different CPU/Network monitor, i use is CPU monitor over Menu Meters' because i think it fits better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.