Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
On serveral different WiFi networks I have experienced "Unable to join the netork" errors. It seems to be one of two problems. The first, is that I am getting terrible signal strength. I am less than 20 ft from my router, my laptop shows full reception, my iphone shows 1 bar. I try to connect repeatedly and it gives me the unable to connect error. Have others experienced this bad of reception or is my iPhone defective? Secondly, even if I get really close to the router, and can get 2-3 bars for WiFi, I still frequently get the unable to connect error. Anyone experiencing this? Any idea how to fix it?

ericld

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2007
On serveral different WiFi networks I have experienced "Unable to join the netork" errors. It seems to be one of two problems. The first, is that I am getting terrible signal strength. I am less than 20 ft from my router, my laptop shows full reception, my iphone shows 1 bar. I try to connect repeatedly and it gives me the unable to connect error. Have others experienced this bad of reception or is my iPhone defective? Secondly, even if I get really close to the router, and can get 2-3 bars for WiFi, I still frequently get the unable to connect error. Anyone experiencing this? Any idea how to fix it?

Does your router require you to authenticate with a password? if so, make sure you selet the "wep password" or "wep hex" option on your phone. "WEP hex" is for keys such as "AE BB A4 F0 C2 CC D1, etc..." if you password is a normal word you picked once upon a time, change to wep passwod" and type it in. Try removing the router with the "forget" button on your iphone and re-adding. Signal strength is unlikely the problem. Good luck

byronS

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
iphone wi-fi problems

As was mentioned there can be a conflict with wireless IP addresses when iPhone tries to connect to your wireless router.
Step 1: On your computer - open your network pref pane and click on TCP/IP info. generally you should see Using DHCP. Note your subnet mask and router IP address.
Step2: on the iPhone -go to "settings" - Wi-Fi set to "on" and select: choose a network
Step 3: after selecting your wireless network change to static IP temporarly.
Step 4: clear IP address field go down to subnet mask and enter manually same with router Ip you saw on the pref pane.
Step 5: switch back to DHCP and renew

If you are prompted for a WEP switch to WEP ASCII and preceed password with $. ..sometimes not required.

You may need to click "forget network" and turn off phone before proceeding with the above.

macdsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
As was mentioned there can be a conflict with wireless IP addresses when iPhone tries to connect to your wireless router.
Step 1: On your computer - open your network pref pane and click on TCP/IP info. generally you should see Using DHCP. Note your subnet mask and router IP address.
Step2: on the iPhone -go to "settings" - Wi-Fi set to "on" and select: choose a network
Step 3: after selecting your wireless network change to static IP temporarly.
Step 4: clear IP address field go down to subnet mask and enter manually same with router Ip you saw on the pref pane.
Step 5: switch back to DHCP and renew

If you are prompted for a WEP switch to WEP ASCII and preceed password with $. ..sometimes not required.

You may need to click "forget network" and turn off phone before proceeding with the above.

I did what you mentioned above. Initially it allowed me to connect to my WiFi network (I was sitting right next to the wireless router.) However, when I walked about 20-30 ft. way from the router it would not load web pages anymore. So I disconneted and tried to reconnect and I began getting the "Unable to connect to the network" errors again. It seems to me to be a connection strength issue. What do you think?

byronS

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2007
I did what you mentioned above. Initially it allowed me to connect to my WiFi network (I was sitting right next to the wireless router.) However, when I walked about 20-30 ft. way from the router it would not load web pages anymore. So I disconneted and tried to reconnect and I began getting the "Unable to connect to the network" errors again. It seems to me to be a connection strength issue. What do you think?

Sounds like it. lots of issues.. walls, router position, etc. Move closer works?

macdsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Sounds like it. lots of issues.. walls, router position, etc. Move closer works?

Yeah, I guess my only concern is that the iPhone's WiFi receiver is somehow damaged because the range is so limited. Have others experienced WiFi range that is significantly worse on the iPhone than on a laptop for example?

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
Yeah, I guess my only concern is that the iPhone's WiFi receiver is somehow damaged because the range is so limited. Have others experienced WiFi range that is significantly worse on the iPhone than on a laptop for example?

the iPhone is vastly weaker at picking up the 802.11g signal than my laptop. Two rooms away from my router I get one or two bars but the laptop is nearly full strength. I suspect a weak antenna. I get the same as what you describe.

Icebird

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
the iPhone is vastly weaker at picking up the 802.11g signal than my laptop. Two rooms away from my router I get one or two bars but the laptop is nearly full strength. I suspect a weak antenna. I get the same as what you describe.

Yeah, same here. In the same room as the router I get 3 bars... but as soon as I go down one floor to the kitchen, it goes to one bar. And then if I go in any other room I lose it completely.
My Macbook however has full bars even when I got to the basement.

I think the antenna is just really weak. This is kind of disappointing because I can't hardly use Wifi anywhere in my house with the iPhone.

macdsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Yeah, same here. In the same room as the router I get 3 bars... but as soon as I go down one floor to the kitchen, it goes to one bar. And then if I go in any other room I lose it completely.
My Macbook however has full bars even when I got to the basement.

I think the antenna is just really weak. This is kind of disappointing because I can't hardly use Wifi anywhere in my house with the iPhone.

So I guess I am not alone in this. Sounds like it isn't a problem with my phone in particular, it is a problem with the iPhone in general. But unfortunately this is one of the few problems with the iPhone that can't be fixed with a software update. :(

donsinger1

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2007
Easy to Join Wi Fi

So I guess I am not alone in this. Sounds like it isn't a problem with my phone in particular, it is a problem with the iPhone in general. But unfortunately this is one of the few problems with the iPhone that can't be fixed with a software update. :(

All:

I have read all of these posts, and experienced every single problem cited.....(i.e. Can't Find Server timeouts, poor range of Wi Fi once you get it working, etc...)...there was a suggestion on this thread that has been the cure for not only mine, but my wife and others that have had the same problem

Go into Settings/General/Reset/then choose Reset Network Settings...and, it works...my iPhone now flies on Wi Fi and has good range.

Don

macdsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
All:

I have read all of these posts, and experienced every single problem cited.....(i.e. Can't Find Server timeouts, poor range of Wi Fi once you get it working, etc...)...there was a suggestion on this thread that has been the cure for not only mine, but my wife and others that have had the same problem

Go into Settings/General/Reset/then choose Reset Network Settings...and, it works...my iPhone now flies on Wi Fi and has good range.

Don

I tried the same. It didn't work for me. Thanks for the suggestions though.

dveer

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Same problem

I experiencing similar issues at work. I can be a few feet from my base station at work and get 1 bar on my iPhone. The strange thing is that when I get home I have full bars everywhere in my house. My iPhone has great reception. Even ou ton my patio. I wonder if multiple wireless routers confuse the iPhone. There are multiple routers in range of my iphone at the same time. Those of you having problems, are there more than one wireless signal within range of your phone?

Darcy

macdsean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Yes. That might explain my issues as well. At my office I get good range out of my iPhone WiFi (only one wireless network is in range at my office). At home my iPhone picks up 4-5 wireless networks and I have to stand right next to the wireless router to connect to the network. Hopefully, that is what is causing the problem and Apple can release a software update to solve the problem.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
I have read all of these posts and am having a somewhat similar problem. (I've also tried the resets, etc. suggested above.) I have had fantastic Wi-Fi connections off my home router and my work router until yesterday. Now, my iPhone simply refuses to look for a signal. If I go to settings, the Wi-Fi option is grayed out, as if to suggest the iPhone won't even try to locate/get on a Wi-Fi signal. :mad:

hokuhoku

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Wifi problems

I have an older 802.11b Netgear wireless router at home. I was unable to join the network at first, no matter what I did (including the static IP switcharoo described at the beginning of this thread). In desperation, I tried switching my broadcast channel from 6 (which it was set on and had been working with) to 1. The instant I changed it to 1, my phone auto-detected and connected to my wireless network.

Sounds a little weird, but try it!

n8236

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2006
I just can't connect to my Wifi, period.

But here's a tip:

If you have already tried "WEP" and "WEP hex or ASCII," try going to back to the list of available networks and choose "Other..."

There you can choose from two more pw types, "WPA" and "WPA2."

I tried all of them and none of them work. I'm going back to the Apple Store tomorrow and see what the problem may be. If the Wifi is broken on this thing, I'm pretty disappointed.

Update: Use 64bit instead of 128bit security. No more password incorrect messages.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I have an older 802.11b Netgear wireless router at home. I was unable to join the network at first, no matter what I did (including the static IP switcharoo described at the beginning of this thread). In desperation, I tried switching my broadcast channel from 6 (which it was set on and had been working with) to 1. The instant I changed it to 1, my phone auto-detected and connected to my wireless network.

Sounds a little weird, but try it!

I've experienced some router weirdness as well. I had some issues connecting with an old Netgear wireless G router that I had installed at my in-laws house. The iPhone simply wouldn't connect after going through the usual wireless troubleshooting hell, as many other posters seem to know well.

As it turns out there was a solution albeit an unexpected one. The router was set to connect on wireless g only. At that setting there was nothing I could do to get my iPhone to connect. But by setting the router to connect on both wireless b and g the iPhone had no problem connecting.

I don't know why this worked but in case others are having a similar problem I suggest looking into this one parameter to see if it has any effect.

nickofari

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
Troubleshooting suggestion

I just can't connect to my Wifi, period.

But here's a tip:

If you have already tried "WEP" and "WEP hex or ASCII," try going to back to the list of available networks and choose "Other..."

There you can choose from two more pw types, "WPA" and "WPA2."

I tried all of them and none of them work. I'm going back to the Apple Store tomorrow and see what the problem may be. If the Wifi is broken on this thing, I'm pretty disappointed.

Update: Use 64bit instead of 128bit security. No more password incorrect messages.

The iphone is only one piece of the wifi network. The router is the main piece. A friend's iphone wifi wasn't working (same as some problems above). I suggested he turn off all of the security on his router - except for not broadcasting the SSID (no WEP, no password required). It worked, and then he was able to turn security back on once it was working.

for the record, I think because many of us have mixed computer environments at home (macs and pcs) that the security settings can occasionally create difficulty for one or the other. After going through 3 different wifi routers over the past 5 years - I settled on the airport express. It works very well for macs/pcs/iphones in my house - and I play iTunes via stereo.

Of course, you cannot rule out a defective wifi card in your iphone. A genius can probably run some diagnostics on it at the apple store for you.

Good luck.

richcolor

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2007
It may be the phone

I had a problem with weak signal and dropped connections on my iPhone. This was repeatable on several networks. I tried everything. Then I tried my son's iPhone which was configured exactly the same as mine; his had NO problems on the same networks under the same conditions. I sent my phone in for service. Currently I have a loaner phone which works perfectly, good signal, no dropped connections. There was definitely a problem with my phone which could not be corrected by any kind of reseting, restoring or change in setting on phone or on wireless routers. I can report back on the outcome of the repair process when I get my phone back.

siwy

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
help!!!!!!!!

Hej
I have a big problems , in summer I was in USa and work (Is a program work and travel) I bay a iphone 8gb, I come back to my country to Poland I active my baby and ......I cant conected to internet! I have a router in my room, my laptop work excelent a few bar( is good) but iphon cant conected!! am see all the times "unable to join the networ" I try to everythings realy!! when i go to setting >Wi fi> select a networ i have to relew the lecence or some thing like that I dont see this comunicated,

If you want to help me contact with me this is my adres email- adrian.jarota@wp.pl

Thank you

jessedarko

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2008
A friend's iphone wifi wasn't working (same as some problems above). I suggested he turn off all of the security on his router - except for not broadcasting the SSID (no WEP, no password required). It worked, and then he was able to turn security back on once it was working.

I TRIED EVERYTHING ON THIS FORUM AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED. Thank you Nickofair. :D

asmgx

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2008
I TRIED EVERYTHING ON THIS FORUM AND THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED. Thank you Nickofair. :D

i had exact same issue

i tried everything
changed my wirless network to non secured one
restarted my iphone
restored factory settings

i tried all more that once
suddenly it start to work after i did this :
i changed my wireless network to non secured one (Security None)
tried to connect <did not connect>
chaged it back to secured (Security WEP)
changed WiFi to Off then on
changed airplan mode on then off
then changed WiFi to Off then on
tried to connect <connected>

<<this does not mean that this is the solution>>

i think it will work randomly just try to play with your iphone.
i m sure this is a defect in iphone
apple has to recognize this as a defect and work on fixing it

now i m scared to turn off my iphone so it may not work again :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.