Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
here are her specs:

2.5 PPC G5 quad,
6.5 gb ram
1 TB Hdd
OS X 10.4.10

itunes won't play music with out "skipping", soundtrack pro is the same way, Quicktime won't play either...programs are randomly quitting unexpectedly (photoshop CS, safari, Firefox, even Final cut...)

she's all around sluggish...

I've ran every maintenance/cleaning Onyx has to offer....I've repaired the disc's, repaired permissions, reset the PRAM....what else can I do?

the only thing I can think of is my HDD's might be too full....I have two 500gb drives and the program drive has a 40 gb free and the other drive only has about 5 free gb....

any ideas?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I think that you HD is too full, see if you can delete a few GBs and then consider buying a firewire external drive.

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
yea I created another user account and it's sluggish there too...

as far as hard drives go:

boot drive: 500 gb total, 36 gb free space
2nd internal drive: 500gb total, 6 gb free space

Both drives were packed to the brim with only a few spare gig per drive, they were like that for a few weeks and she was running fine...a few days ago everything slowed down....that's when I cleared up the 36 gig on the boot drive...

is hard drive space most likely where the problem is?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
TBO, having > 2 GB HD space (non-RAID) shouldn't result in that bad performance right after reboot.
Ofcourse, after much use of many apps so that there will be more HD space used for VM which can result in sluggish performance.

But you also report on crashes etc.

Here's what I would do:

First check the disk:
- Boot in Single User Mode (boot while pressing and holding <COMMAND> <S> until you get a prompt)
- type: fsck -fy <ENTER>
- Wait until it reads something like "The Volume <your boot-drive> appears to be okay"
- type: reboot <ENTER>

If the volume needs repairing, keep repeating above until <your boot-drive> "appears to be okay"

Get yourself the 10.4.10 PPC Combo updater, which replaces many maybe corrupt system-related files (i.e. your QuickTime stuff).

Good luck.

hardhatmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Utah
Thanks for the help so far...

I already installed 10.4.10...

and I've already booted from the OS X install disc and repaired the boot drive a few times until it said "volume appears to be ok"

anything else I can try?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.