Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMan112

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
I'm got offered $250 from iFixIt for my PowerBook G4 and decided that I needed the money than a second/backup laptop. I've been preparing the laptop to be shipped to them. I got everything I need off the hard drive and went to format the hard drive using the CD's included that were shipped with the PowerBook.

Only problem was that I could not find them. Rather than spend hours searching for them, I was wondering if it would work using the CD's that were shipped with my new MBP?

Also, if this does not work, is there any other way without having the original discs?

Thanks!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
If it boots (it may not) then you can use disk utility to format. You will NOT be able to reinstall the OS however.

yeah provided you can get it to boot you can format the disk and overwrite it with zeros, but you certainly won't be able to install OS X on it though.

i would think that you could get it to boot from the disc though, so worth a try.

MrMan112

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2005
Actually, I think I tried this once and it won't boot off the intel disk. Try it, but I don't think it is going to work.

I tried it... just like you said, it does not work.

I ended up searching for an hour, and finally locating the PowerBook discs.
Thanks for the input anyway.

portent

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2004
Alternatively, you could probably have booted the PowerBook in FireWire target disk mode, and used Disk Utility from the MacBook to format the PB, just as you would any other external HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.