Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hatchet92882

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Kentucky
ok, i've been planning ahead, trying to figure out what to do with taxes (i know long way off, get my reshearch done early). My Wife says that, i could get another computer not to spend more than 500 -600 bucks what would be the best bang for the buck. I like the imac, means i don't have to get a screen or speakers, and if i got a mini i would have to invest in them.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
ok, i've been planning ahead, trying to figure out what to do with taxes (i know long way off, get my reshearch done early). My Wife says that, i could get another computer not to spend more than 500 -600 bucks what would be the best bang for the buck. I like the imac, means i don't have to get a screen or speakers, and if i got a mini i would have to invest in them.

Considering that you already have a desktop PC, you could always buy a KVM and use that to hook it up to the mini that way.

Just a thought.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I assume we're talking about a G4 iMac.

If you're looking at a G4 iMac or Mac Mini Intel, you'll get more bang for the buck from the Mac Mini. The issue with the iMac is that it is substantially slower then even the 1.5 Ghz Core Solo. That being said.. you can't go wrong with either. If you don't have the extra money for speakers and a screen, go with the iMac or pick up a free CRT monitor and some very cheap speakers from Craigslist.

Let us know what you decide doing.

hatchet92882

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Kentucky
A KVM stands for Keyboard Video Mouse. It allows you to use One mouse/keyboard/monitor for multiple computers. most of them you push a button and it goes to the next computer and you have full control of that PC.
Check out monoprice or Newegg They both have a bunch of KVM and good prices

Ok, we have some of those at work. just wasnt faimailer with the termanolgy.

hatchet92882

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 4, 2007
Kentucky
that wouldn't be a bad idea, but then, me and my wife will be fighting over who gets the computer, and if your married you know who will win that, lol!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.