Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

MacScoop claims that according to "trusted sources" Apple is planning on releasing "a notebook that is so small and light that it could redefine the standards of ultra-portable computing."

The upcoming Apple notebook is said to feature a 12" display, 0.6-0.7 inches thick, and weigh less than 3 pounds. MacScoop's sources are unclear if an optical drive will accompany this ultra-portable notebook, but do feel it is likely to come by year's end (2007).

For reference, Apple's current 15" MacBook Pro weighs 5.4lbs with a 1 inch thickness.

Rumors of a ultra-portable Apple laptop have been ongoing since late 2006. MacScoop reported in December 2006 about the upcoming 12" ultra-portable MacBook Pro with additional details provided by Appleinsider in February. There are some conflicting reports with one summary that believed the ultra-portable would carry a 13" LED display.

Article Link

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
If all it takes is a "trusted source" to get on the front page of MacRumors, I'm going to start spreading rumors from a "trusted source" that Apple is building a rocket ship and flying me to the moon.

Poff

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
It will be either this or the Asus Eee for me.. (7" and 2pounds) Now that rumors has it the Eee will be as expensive as almost $500 i Europe, compared to the $200 in the USA.

Eagerly awaiting this. :)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I just wish Apple would get on with releasing some exciting computers again, y'know with exciting new designs etc.

As for this particular device, this is something I've been personally hankering for since I replaced my 12" powerbook with this c2d blackbook.

I know many others feel the same.

RZetlin

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
This is almost a good enough reason to wait for the a new notebook.

I really hope it's the 12" ultra portable model.

I don't like the current 13" wide screen models.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
If all it takes is a "trusted source" to get on the front page of MacRumors, I'm going to start spreading rumors from a "trusted source" that Apple is building a rocket ship and flying me to the moon.

Unless Intel have been working on some cheap way to build rockets the small form-factor laptop is still a lot more likely :).

In fact given Intel's concept for it's own laptops recently I think Apple is very likely to release a laptop like this.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I would like to see it have EDGE/5G amd wimax (early intel version). We could possibly see the clamshell variant with dispays on both sides, one of which is your virtual keyboard. The larger size will allow more fully finger shaped keys to be practical. It may be only 10" diagonal however so it is abit 3x the size of an iPhone interface.

Rocketman

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

MacScoop's had its moments in the past. Their record isn't perfect, but significantly better than guy-with-blog.

arn

egdiroh

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2004
Be prepared to wait until October for this one. Otherwise 10.5 will be delayed further to get 10.4 to run this.

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Unless Intel have been working on some cheap way to build rockets the small form-factor laptop is still a lot more likely :).

In fact given Intel's concept for it's own laptops recently I think Apple is very likely to release a laptop like this.

I'm not trying to say that this rumor doesn't have any merit at all, just that I've read hundreds of rumors that all say "We have it on authority" or quote some kind of "insider" or "trusted source" and about 98% of them turn out to be complete crap....

....I'm just lookin' for something to complain about, really ;) I'd love if Apple announced something like this, if the truth be told.

rosalindavenue

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2003
Virginia, USA
I'm a big fan of the 12" ibook form factor; so big that I can live without the performance boost of the macbook. I don't care about the widescreen either (although I guess I'm in the minority there); I have no desire to watch movies on it (other than maybe twice a year on a plane). This is the best rumor to come down the pike in a long, long time. I hope that they keep the optical drive, and that it runs really cool.

LostPacket

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2003
Canada, eh
I think "trusted source" says more about the poster than the source. Gullible.

I wouldn't consider a 12" laptop "ultra protable" anyway. Nevermind a 13". a half inch thickness and a few pounds doesn't make it any easier to put in my back pack.

A full featured 10" would be cool, but I can't see Jobs going for the smaller keyboard. I'm looking for a device that I can use while on cycle tours. An iPhone would almost be functional enough to do regular blog entries and check email. A 10" ultra portable would be perfect.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Oh, yeah that's where Apple makes most of it's money Mac!

Oh, my gosh a story about one of Apple's biggest profit centers THE MAC. As a matter of fact it's the fastest growing Mac segment, Macbooks!

With all this iPhone hype we shouldn't forget that the Mac is Apple's bread and butter (for now) and that this particular segment is growing by leaps and bounds.

I bet this doesn't get half the attention that it deserves.

Here's looking forward to Apples computer market share blowing past 10% on its way to 15.

How do you like them Apples?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
My credit card just leapt out of my wallet like a spawning salmon.

If this is true, Apple just lost an iPhone sale :) Until I can save up again...

I'll gladly accept an external optical drive I can leave home when not needed. I just hope the GPU is better than GMA950! I want PRO features in an ultraportable, as much as possible. Not a consumer ultraportable. And I do like my gaming on the go :)

I'll also accept the smallest screen I can get: 12", 9", whatever. I can always attach a display when at home. I want TINY!

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
It will be either this or the Asus Eee for me.. (7" and 2pounds) Now that rumors has it the Eee will be as expensive as almost $500 i Europe, compared to the $200 in the USA.

Eagerly awaiting this. :)

That big black frame makes that Asus look like one of those kids educational laptops. It's ugly.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to that new MacBook. Even though I probably won't get one, if it lacks a cd drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.