Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I have another strange problem where I've manually setup the iPhone to access my home roadrunner email account. I am able to receive emails, but when I reply or try to send a new email I get a reply back that the email address was rejected by the server.

I've checked the settings and nothing seems to be relevant or apply to this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I have another strange problem where I've manually setup the iPhone to access my home roadrunner email account. I am able to receive emails, but when I reply or try to send a new email I get a reply back that the email address was rejected by the server.

I've checked the settings and nothing seems to be relevant or apply to this problem.

Does anyone have any suggestion?

Try setting it up to use port :587

Whatever your outgoing mail server is now, add
:587
to the end of it... example:
mail.roadrunner.net:587
put your username and password, same as for incoming.

See if that works.
A LOT of ISPs block outgoing mail over port 25 (the standard)... but will allow you to use port 587 with authentication.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007

See if that works.
A LOT of ISPs block outgoing mail over port 25 (the standard)... but will allow you to use port 587 with authentication.

I'll give that a try. I checked my settings on my home PC and it using port 25 without authentication. I tried entering in User ID and Password and it stated that Authentication wasn't supported. I'll try port 587 with Authentication and see what happens.

Thanks!!

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007

See if that works.

Just tried entering :587 with Authentication and it didn't work. The error is different though. Instead of email address rejected by server I get connection failed. So, it doesn't appear they have port 587 open.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
You can also try port 465...

I just finished talking to roadrunner chat service and found out that roadrunners smtp email server won't work outside of the roadrunner network. There answer was that I need to go to the phone company and get an smtp email server from them to use.

So, does anyone know AT&T's smtp email server?

Lane

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
I have Roadrunner also (not happy about it) and am having the same problem... if you find a fix, will you please let me know???

THANKS

dukebbfan

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
cant send email

im having the same problem; tried the port 587 and it didnt work either...is going to att the only answer? btw, i have roadrunner also

iRabbit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2007
Long Island, NY
I just finished talking to roadrunner chat service and found out that roadrunners smtp email server won't work outside of the roadrunner network. There answer was that I need to go to the phone company and get an smtp email server from them to use.

So, does anyone know AT&T's smtp email server?

Yes... it's CWMX.com
(no username, no password needed)

Just be aware, it won't work when you're connected to WiFi - only to EDGE.

borg1of2

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
I have Roadrunner also (not happy about it) and am having the same problem... if you find a fix, will you please let me know???

THANKS

im having the same problem; tried the port 587 and it didnt work either...is going to att the only answer? btw, i have roadrunner also

I got it to work. Here is the information you need to enter.

For Cingular Wireless, you do not need to enter a user name or

password, but you do need to enter the SMTP server info.

* Outgoing (SMTP) Server: cwmx.com

* User name: (none)

* Password: (none)

Lane

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
Thats great.. thanks! Now - another question: I have two email accounts set up, different servers - if I use that smtp setting for roadrunner, will the other account be affected in any way?

paymaster

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2006
Thats great.. thanks! Now - another question: I have two email accounts set up, different servers - if I use that smtp setting for roadrunner, will the other account be affected in any way?

No, each one is set up individually, but you may have the same problem with that one as well. I guess a lot of ISP's are the same as Roadrunner.

gschumsky

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
San Diego (Jamul), Ca
Yes... it's CWMX.com
(no username, no password needed)

Just be aware, it won't work when you're connected to WiFi - only to EDGE.

Ahh, that explains why I can't send when on EDGE or a non-Cox wireless network (which is another issue since the smtp changes again). So, what might the setup be when we go between the two? Just remember to manually change it, or is there a way for it to switch between the two smtp's automatically?

iSaint

macrumors 603
Ahh, that explains why I can't send when on EDGE or a non-Cox wireless network (which is another issue since the smtp changes again). So, what might the setup be when we go between the two? Just remember to manually change it, or is there a way for it to switch between the two smtp's automatically?

I finally got my cableone outgoing mail to send on EDGE. I called cableone support, and their authentication outgoing server is authmail.cableone.net and does require password authentication.

I had previously tried to setup two separate accounts on my iPhone. One with regular settings for cableone, which worked (sent mail) when I was at home on my network. And another for outgoing mail via EDGE when I was away from home using authentication. However, once the iPhone mail software tried once to send mail with the home settings account, it wouldn't try again with the second account via authentication. Either way works at my home network so I'm going to retain one account on my iPhone with the authentication for outgoing.

I advise you call support for your ISP for authentication settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.