Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youngcd

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2007
i am on my 2nd iPhone (first one had battery issue/thats all). my new one has a good battery so far BUT NOW MY SOUND SETTINGS DON'T WORK? LOCK SOUNDS/KEYBOARD CLICKS NO LONGER WORK? Anyone know how to fix?

Make sure the switch above your volume control buttons is not set to "Silent" mode. If you see a red dot on the switch, then you are in silent mode. Flick it up to return to Normal mode. It's basically just an easy on/off switch to quickly disable sound when going into meetings/movies/etc.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
1) Most annoying bug I've had so far is that a call came in and while the phone is ringing there is no display and nothing to press to pick up the call. Even pressing where the button normally appears didn't have any effect.

2) Calls being forwarded to voice mail even if full AT&T reception and I'm not on the internet (needless to say, even when on the internet the call should get through!)

3) sound stopped working at one point (no ringer, no keyboard klicks, etc.). Only reboot helped.

4) iPod starting randomly after finishing a phone call (I didn't have the iPod on beforehand).

I'm not mentioning software "weaknesses", most of which in my opinion are email related, as these have been covered in the software update forum.

Unfortunately, if I don't see any software patches by Friday, I will have to give the iPhone back. Not because I don't like it, but because I can't risk having a malfunctioning device for the next 2 years.

fanboy

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2007
VPN PPTP doesn't work

PPTP connects to my corprate VPN server, but no data goes through the tunnel. In general, once the VPN is established none of the Internet clients can send/receive data.

If you save a PPTP password, the next time you turn on VPN, you're prompted for a password, but only get a numberic keypad. The VPN password is alpha-numeric.

Sal510

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
Safari Crashes
iPod when shuffling songs suddenley stops playing
Purchesed Videos Stop Playing Half way but works fine on a pc

lambo32490

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
Minor Ipod bug on Iphone but correctable/ BATTERY/ OTHER NOTICED ISSUES

while using the ipod feature on my iphone i usually browse by artist and select a song. If you exit the artist menu (whether in cover flow or not) and browse your music by song, the song you are currently playing is not recognized as "now playing" in the songs menu but is recognized in the artist menu. this flaw was very weird to me and i couldnt belive that apple didnt pick this up. I noticed this error within minutes of using my iphone....i guess i pay close attention to detail.

While im here i may as well point out the rest of the Flaws......

when recieving a SMS text from another cell phone the message is sometimes cut off if it excedes the 160 character limit but what puzzled me was that i was not sent another text displaying the remainer of the message

Safari/ Google Maps seem unstable sometimes and will close unexpedily

Last night i charged my battery in the dock connected to the wall and when i turned the phone on this morning the battery wasnt fully charged. the phone was probably charging for 5 and a half hours. First time ive had this issue....I DO FEEL THO THAT MY BATTERY HASNT BEEN WORKING AS ADVERTIZED AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF OTHER PEOPLE ARE HAVING THIS ISSUE AS WELL.

Thanks,

Ross

longofest

Editor emeritus
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Loss of sound

I've had a couple occasions now where I will get or try to make a call, but I will not be able to use the iPhone's built-in speaker or microphone. However, if I switch to speakerphone, it works.

The only way I could get the sound back was to insert the iPhone headphones, and remove them again. My inkling is that when I had the iPhone headphones in previously, the iPhone did not detect them being removed. When I tried to make or receive a call, it put the output through the headphone jack thinking the headphones were still there.

edit: CONFIRMED

longofest

Editor emeritus
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Random Dialing

Occasionally, when a bluetooth headset is connected, the iPhone will randomly dial the most recent contact in the "recent" list.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Sound Volume

Some users report that headset volume is too low, whereas other users appear to not be affected by the issue.

Its not apparent if this was a bad batch of iPhone hardware, or rather a software incompatibility with some iPhone units that may have slightly different hardware. However, we will mark it as a bug for the time being.

CONFIRMED

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania
Google maps

When you zoom in too far in google maps "no image data" is displayed.

Maps won't let you scroll/zoom to a spot if its in the process of loading/ partially loaded, it pushes you over somewhere else.

I've had alot of random crashes, usually when music is playing and I'm in another app. Reseting the phone appears to fix it for awhile.

Artwork not always displayed, appears in iTunes fine but doesn't sync, maybe because of 3rd party images / scans, I spent a long time adding artwork to almost every track I posses.

Speakerphone is useless, I can't hear it ringing out while driving(or in a quiet room), and half the time I don't know if anybody picked up or not.

Proximity sensor doesn't work while in speakerphone. Might not be an issue if you didn't have to put it next to your head to hear it in the first place.

If wifi is at 1 bar it won't switch to edge and won't load a page till you move and then reload or turn wifi off and reload.

The XP Camera import thing is annoying, didn't happen for the first week, now it happens everytime I connect to my work laptop.

bj3949

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Ok....here we go.....

-song title shows up on lock screen when song is not playing
-In Calendar, repeating events should not show up on days prior to current day
-typing a message on MySpace is a nightmare because of the inability to scroll in a text window within a page. try it.
-inability to email or surf web during a phone conversation
-when syncing iPhone to iTunes while your iPhone has Passcode feature turned on, the Sync In Progress screen on iPhone does not appear during the sync; instead the Passcode screen appears during the sync. I don't think this should happen. The iPhone should say Sync In Progress instead.
-Keyboard hardly rotates when you want it to, if at all
-Mail landscape view doesn’t work (landscape view should be “everywhere”)
-Calendar not syncing correctly with iCal (problem only exists from iPhone to CPU only)
-iPhoto should not come to front of screen when syncing

THESE ARE ONLY "BUGS"!!!
TO SEE THE LONG LIST I'VE CREATED OF BUGS, FLAWS, IDEAS, REQUESTS, WISHLIST ETC..., PLEASE GO TO: http://www.brianjudah.com/iphonebugsflawsandwishlist.htm

Sean7512

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2005
Here's one that no one mentioned...

Go to clock -> timer and set it to sleep the iPod after some amount of time. Now, start the timer...everything will be fine, as long as you keep the clock app open or just put it to sleep. However, if you go home and use another app, the timer changes its action to the marimba alert. This is super annoying, especially at night when I get a text while in bed!!

That's the only bug I have that is not already listed.

RedGlasses

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2007
My MAIN problem is that the "home" button is not responding...!!! sometimes when i'm inside an app i can't go back to the main menu so i'm stuck, doing an hard reboot is impossible too because it needs this button... I'm thinking of returning the device but i'm in holidays (far) and hope they will change it to me when' i'll get back!!!

iMouse

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Boardman, Ohio
Safari Bugs & Misc

There is a bug in Safari where if you create another browser "tab" in landscape mode, then rotate to portrait and tap on the tab icon, the page name and address can cover the 'X' to close the window. If the text covers the red close button, you are not able to close the window. Your only option is to rotate back into landscape mode to close the browser window.

Safari has crashed a couple of times (this is nothing new on any platform)

There were several occasions where Safari was unresponsive to submitting forms. (submit button didn't send the data, even after a page refresh) A restart of the iPhone was needed to correct the problem.

Rotating the phone at anything less than 70 degrees does not result in changing the screen orientation. Sort-of annoying since most people don't browse with their phones completely upright. Easy software fix, I'm sure.

pyn

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Here's the steps to the recreate the bug:

1. Play music in iPod mode
2. Hit home
3. Surf safari
4. Music stops

View

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2007
Another bug i found is that when i use google map on edge and trying to pinch to zoom in and sometime one of my finger goes out of the screen and the map will "bounce" to somewhere else far off of the destination. It happends quite often. Is it just me or does anyone else has this problem too?

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
There is a bug in Safari where if you create another browser "tab" in landscape mode, then rotate to portrait and tap on the tab icon, the page name and address can cover the 'X' to close the window. If the text covers the red close button, you are not able to close the window. Your only option is to rotate back into landscape mode to close the browser window.

i was about to list this exact bug since it's been happening with my iphone too.

Shut the phone down (hold the button on the top right and slide the red bar to the side when it appears). Then restart the phone by hitting the same top right button. Seems to solve Safari and iPod crashing for me.

i get safari crashes as well and i've used this trick every now and then, but it's only a *temporary* fix - after a couple of days, safari goes back to crashing frequently again.

i've also experienced the bug where music stops playing shortly after starting to use safari.

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
You CAN browse during a phone call. Hit the home button while talking and do whatever you want. If you're on a call, there is a slightly pulsing green bar across the top of the screen that says "Return to Call" which takes you back to the phone app immediately.

IF you are on WiFi. On Edge, like ALL phones, you can not since ht line is occupied - just like dial-up.

mcoyne

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2005
Durham, NC
This message has no content

About two-thirds of my e-mail messages say "This message has no content". The "from" and "subject" fields seem fine. In fact the few headers that the iphone shows seem fine. The e-mails appear as expected on my laptop. I have not noticed a clear pattern yet, but most (not all) messages with content-type of text/plain do not display properly. Most (not all) messages with content-type of multipart/alternative show up ok.

The upshot is that I cannot read most of my mail on the iphone which obviously makes it useless for e-mail.

I am using IMAP with mail hosted on an Xserve running OS X Server 10.2.8. There are a few similar reports in Apple's forums.

glacon

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Blinking Screen

I have had a few buggy things happen with my iPhone. First it went black and unresponsive one time while listening to music. This was fixed with a hard reset.

Secondly, one time when I went to the favorites screen within the phone, the screen was completely black. Turning the phone off and on fixed this problem.

Another time it stopped ringing, I noticed that all of the preview ringers were silent when I tried to change the ring. Turning the phone on and off fixed this.

Finally, I was listening to the iPod browsing the web and switched over to the phone to listen to the visual voicemail the voicemail screen started flashing black. Once again fixable by turning the phone on and off.

All of these things have happened only once. Anyone else experienced any of these problems?

scrub4051

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
DSP bug regaurding calls

My iphone seems to cut in and out during calls at a high frequency. For example i would here something that sounded like " Wha are you do-g. I ca 't h ar y u. Its ge ti g ch o py." if you can imagine a really choppy call it would sound something like that. It seems to happen when there is a lot of road noise or background noise. It is also notably more prominant when using the headset which the iphone came with. Has anybody seen or heard of this same problem. I did some of my own testing in the field driving around while on the phone and I still get the same problem, so I doubt hand offs from bay station to bay station are causing the problem. Anways if you heard or experienced the same problem let me know. Report this to Apple please.

MacE90

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
BMW Bluetooth

In my '07 BMW 5 series, during the first few moments of a call in BT through the BMW system, the audio cuts in and out, and then it stabilizes and is fine. Wasn't a problem with my Treo 650 and the BMW, which the iPhone replaced. Integration with menus, voice dialing is flawless.

I have had the exact same issue with my '07 3 series (with iDrive). This was also not a problem with my BB Pearl or my Moto RAZR. Similar experience with the upload of address book and integration into iDrive.

ChicagoAdGuy

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2007
Chicago
Freezing main menu

Just this morning my phone was ringing and as I slided the unlock slider which you need to do to answer it did not connect and then we were at the man unlock screen. I slided the lock and it just froze. I hit the sleep button to see if it would help. Then I woke it up again and the unlocked it however the slider remained on screen but the black backgound showed from the main menu screen but with no icons. It was just frozen. I held the home button to have it cancel what ever app was causing this but nothing happend. I ended up holdong the sleep button to have the red slider show and power off the unit. After that it was fine. I was able to see who called me. One other isssue is how long it takes to actually get the visual voicemail. That and as I browse the web on some website Safari just quits and sends me to the main menu screen. :apple:

desimus

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
Using the Jawbone BT Device

I've had two bugs thus far:

1. The touchscreen locked up. Phone was asleep and a call came in, couldn't unlock the phone with the slider. A reset took care of this problem.

2. The Jawbone Bluetooth device will work once paired, but once I turn off the device I have to go through the entire passcode pairing thing again. Even though it says that the phone is paired with the device it will not work until I walk through the initial steps of pairing it with the code and starting from scratch each time. This could be a Jawbone thing but either way it's not a seamless interaction between the devices. Anyone else had this problem?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.