Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:32 AM   #1
retnuh730
macrumors regular

Warning! Belkin acrylic case scratches iPhone! Do not buy!

If you or somebody you know has purchased a SLEEK (name) acrylic case from belkin, warn them immediately, dirt and other objects become lodged in between and scratch up the back and front of the phone. Who should I contact about this problem?
http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2007/07/...atches-iphone/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnkgrl/...7600706099955/

Amazing, i paid 30 dollars extra for a case that scratches my iphone more than i could have without it.
retnuh730 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:35 AM   #2
megfilmworks
macrumors 68020

That's a tough break. I've been carrying mine around naked and still not a scratch.
DA42 - BE G58
megfilmworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:36 AM   #3
retnuh730
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by megfilmworks View Post
That's a tough break. I've been carrying mine around naked and still not a scratch.
I know! I'm wondering if they'll pay for a refund of the case and the restocking fee for AT&T for me to get a new one. They shouldnt sell this stuff if they knew it wouldnt work.
retnuh730 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:37 AM   #4
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
this doesn't come as a surprise to me. i've known people with scratched ipods due to their acrylic cases. sorry, man, i feel for you.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:42 AM   #5
jecapaga
macrumors 601

That seems like a lot of parts and sorry to hear you're disappointed. I opted for the rubber incase sleeve and i love it but have heard dirt can get under the front and scratch the bezel. Interesting is that my incase sleeve does cover the silver belvel entirely which would leave it to that kind of damage perhaps but the pics show that the case doesn't cover the bezel. Mine goes from black rubber to black screen.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...rt=TN563LL%2FA
jecapaga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:45 AM   #6
Justin205
macrumors newbie

Um...crap. That's exactly the one I have on mine now

$30 bucks down the drain....but no scratches yet as far as I can tell. Time to look for something new..

**edit**

And thanks!
Justin205 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:49 AM   #7
dubels
macrumors 6502

O well i bet you it would get scratched like that naked too. Even with a rubber case dirt might get through and scratch more since there is more friction
dubels is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:54 AM   #8
Sobe
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubels View Post
O well i bet you it would get scratched like that naked too. Even with a rubber case dirt might get through and scratch more since there is more friction
perhaps, but it is one thing for a case to not protect you from all damage (like throwing a cased iPhone at a wall for example), it is another for the case to actually damage the phone just by using it.

You can't expect an airbag to save you from a 100 mph head on collision, but it would be nice if it didn't spontaneously go off when you were driving to the store and injure you...
Sobe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:13 AM   #9
sonictonic
macrumors 6502a

Wow. I too have this case. No problems as of yet, my iPhone is mint... but now that I have seen this post I'm scared for the future! So I just took it off, and I'm gonna go exchange the case tomorrow at the AT&T store. Hope they don't give me any trouble...

Retnuh, please keep us posted how you and the store handles this for ya!
sonictonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 02:38 AM   #10
rsbell
macrumors member

I have the same case, and have used it since I bought the phone on Jesus Friday. I haven't had any scratching problems, but I'm pretty careful with it, and I take it apart every couple of days to keep it clean.
rsbell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 06:59 AM   #11
Arcus
macrumors 6502a

I learned a long time ago that Belkin makes a fine cable.....and thats about it.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 09:53 PM   #12
sonictonic
macrumors 6502a

Just an update for what happened with me:

I went to the AT&T Store to return this case today based on these findings... and had 3 reps at the cashier counter tell me there would be a 10% restocking fee since it's an Apple product I told them actually it isn't, it's a Belkin 3RD PARTY product FOR the Apple iPhone, and they gave me the impression that in their training they were told anything iPhone related has a 10% restocking fee and if they screw up their job is on the line.

I basically refused to leave without being able to return it without the restocking fee, knowing damn well that this is NOT an Apple product and should NOT fall under this rule, so they promptly got the manager for me and he let me return it with no fee, without any questioning. Then they apologized to me.

Last edited by sonictonic; Jul 11, 2007 at 10:08 PM.
sonictonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:58 PM   #13
constant L
macrumors member

I bought this case as well and noticed the dirt that collected and stopped using it. Everything about that case seems so cheap. Like it seems like its going to fall apart.
constant L is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2007, 12:42 AM   #14
EricMD21
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to EricMD21
I bought that case from the Cingular/AT&T store on iDay, along with the nice little sleek case. Sunday, I was finally fed up with the crap clip that came with the case and the constant loose plastic/whatever it is made out of. AVOID THIS CASE AT ALL COSTS. I went back to the store, and they happily exchanged this case for a rubberish one. NIIIIIIIIIICE

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories