Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Has anyone else experienced brief problems with the accelerometer functioning properly (i.e. switching from portrait<-->landscape)? A day or so after I first got the iPhone, I had an instance where I'd have to really put some force behind the movement from portrait to landscape in order for it to register. Other than that one time, it's worked fine ever since--until today.

As I was leaving work, I was trying to use the Cover Flow browser. I flipped the phone sideways, and I couldn't get Cover Flow to pop up. So I backed out of iPod mode, and went to some pics and tried to rotate the phone. The pics weren't rotating either. As a last ditch effort, I went to Safari, but it wouldn't rotate either.

I figured maybe a reset might work, so I turned the phone off, then back on, and tried it all again. Still not working. However, I did notice that if I would rotate the phone, then tap the back of the phone, it would finally register. By this time, I was almost to my car, so I quit playing around with, but left the music playing.

Now that I'm home and playing with it once again, it's as if nothing ever happened. It's working beautifully again.

Anyone have anything similar to this happen to them? Any other accelerometer "wonkiness" to speak of?

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Makes sure the iPhone is vertical not flat. It won't switch to landscape if say, it's laying on a table. The accelerometer works based on gravity, so when it's lying or held flat, it won't work.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Makes sure the iPhone is vertical not flat. It won't switch to landscape if say, it's laying on a table. The accelerometer works based on gravity, so when it's lying or held flat, it won't work.

Thats exactly what it was. Thanks!

athanacius

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
**** Man

Mine isnt working even though its in the normal condition. Was working fine till a few hours ago. I am really pissed.

What happens if this is faulty??? Any ideas... :mad::mad::mad:

Okay.. so the solution is this - tap it hard a few times on the back side. Shake it, twist it.. started working.

This phone is turning out to be pretty ordinary. I am facing a lot of troubles with it including, ridiculously low volume, maps exit, safari exits, ... apparently MAC OS X is not all that it was made out to be... Really disappointed.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
sometimes... i've got to give my iphone a shake before it senses it.
jumping-smiley-006.gif

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Mine isnt working even though its in the normal condition. Was working fine till a few hours ago. I am really pissed.

Okay.. so the solution is this - tap it hard a few times on the back side. Shake it, twist it.. started working.

sometimes... i've got to give my iphone a shake before it senses it.
jumping-smiley-006.gif

Mine's been 100% stable and predictable (also, my wife's and a friend's). It has to be greater than about 30 degrees to the horizontal, however, otherwise it will "stick" in the last position it sensed.

Sounds like you might need a trip to the Genius Bar. :(

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Mine's been 100% stable and predictable (also, my wife's and a friend's). It has to be greater than about 30 degrees to the horizontal, however, otherwise it will "stick" in the last position it sensed.

Sounds like you might need a trip to the Genius Bar. :(

problem is... i have a phobia of anyone that calls themselves a genius.

actually, it doesn't bother me to give it a shake... at least not enough to drive 20 minutes to the Apple Store™

Last edited by a moderator:

athanacius

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2007
problem is... i have a phobia of anyone that calls themselves a genius.

Considering that they knew less than iPhone owners. "we havent been able to test it completely yet". "You've had more time to check it out than us".

They had no clue to applications exiting on their own will. I think if you switch on iPod, then Safari and then the map and then make a call, you will see very very peculiar behaviour... :(

dagomike

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2007
Yeah, mind is flawless as long as it's not too horizontal. Sometimes it takes a second to react, but it works.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California

Actually an accelerometer is supposed to detect acceleration/motion so I was surprised and annoyed it didn't work horizontally. As is, it only detects orientation and is really a gravimeter.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

This phone is turning out to be pretty ordinary. I am facing a lot of troubles with it including, ridiculously low volume, maps exit, safari exits, ... apparently MAC OS X is not all that it was made out to be... Really disappointed.

If OS X wasn't all it's been cracked up to be, your iPhone would crash when the app did. It's OS X that keeps the phone running when an app crashes. The apps run on OS X, but are not a part of OS X.

avalys

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2004
Actually an accelerometer is supposed to detect acceleration/motion so I was surprised and annoyed it didn't work horizontally. As is, it only detects orientation and is really a gravimeter.
This does not make sense. Gravity is indistinguishable from acceleration.

The iPhone likely senses gravity/acceleration in one axis only. You would need a two-axis accelerometer to implement the behavior you want.

himansk

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
The iPhone likely senses gravity/acceleration in one axis only. You would need a two-axis accelerometer to implement the behavior you want.

Well actually thats 2 axis, one for the landscape mode and one for the portrait mode which are perpendicular to each other. The third axis would come into play when the iphone is lying flat on its back, which is not detected, so in effect the accelerometer detects in 2 axis and leaves out the third.

joshuajestelle

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I figured maybe a reset might work, so I turned the phone off, then back on, and tried it all again.

It sounds like your problem was simply holding the phone to flat, but to clarify on this point:

Turning your phone off, and back on again, does not constitute a complete reset. To really reset your phone, hold down the top and the front buttons together for 10s or so. That will really reset it. I believe doing this will have a more substantial effect than simply powering it off, and back on again.

Cheers,
Josh

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Then explain why it won't switch modes horizontally no matter how hard you spin the sucker.

Because the sensors are essentially in the same plane of motion (well, 90 degrees apart, I imagine).

edit: They still sense the same amount of acceleration due to gravity in the plane perpendicular to the iPhone (flat on the table, in this example).

This app can give you an idea of how they work, if you have a SMS equipped PowerBook or MacBook Pro: SeisMac

jconway

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
So has anyone figured out an fix for this other than taking the phone back to the store? I'm having the same problems as the thread starter.

horasmail

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Chronic Tilt

I installed a couple of accelerometer-using games to my itouch and I noticed that, when I lay it down on a horizontal surfice it takes it like it´s tilted a certain angle to the right. Even though it is not noticeable when I use normal apps like music or photos, I wonder if it can be fixed some way, and if some one is having the same issue...

scmguru

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
I've performed a full reset (top/front button) and I've got a bad delay in the screen tilting from horizontal to vertical (and vice versa) of about 5-6 seconds.

I'm running firmware 2.01 with an iphone 3g 16gb

Matdavies

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Since updating my iphone4 to ios6 the accelerometer is not working properly. The phone has to be tilted 45-50° passed vertical to make it switch. Tried hard reset and no joy.

Suggestions?

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I've been having issues with Safari not switching to landscape view. Once I force quit Safari it works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.