Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Techworld reports on two options for Microsoft Exchange synchronization and support for the iPhone.

The two include, Visto and Synchronica. Due to Apple's reluctance to open the iPhone to 3rd party applications, both services provide different approaches:

Visto, for instance, which usually writes small handset-based applications to allow its email sync functions to work, will use a desktop PC-based application to forward corporate email to the iPhone

[Synchronica's] Mobile Gateway doesn't require system administrators to open ports in the firewall or install Exchange connectors. Instead it uses a separate server, located behind the firewall, that sucks in email via Outlook Web Access, already activated on many corporate email accounts.

Article Link

BostonMerlin

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
my gut says apple will come out with active exchange sync sooner rather than later.. and these 3rd party solutions will not be needed.

jamesnajera

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2003
BostonMerlin, I agree with you.

Also a note, if IMAP can't be setup for you or you need the email pushed to you instantly, because 15 minutes is not going to cut it. You could always setup a yahoo push account and then have your exchange admin forward a copy of all your email to the yahoo account.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via (Typo: IMAP) every couple minutes?

The idea that setting a one minute mail retrieval time is inadequate has always seemed absurd to me. Email is not instantaneous, and depending on network conditions, can take several minutes to get to your email server in the first place; . You should never rely on non-realtime communication methods for things that require immediate response. Use the phone or IM if it's that important.

As a busy professional, I feel I'm qualified to say, "chill out." The extra 30 seconds to get that email message are not going to kill you. I guess I don't see the advantage of push email. There are so many other improvements that could have been made to make the experience better.

DrVest

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via POP every couple minutes?

The idea that setting a one minute mail retrieval time is inadequate has always seemed absurd to me. Email is not instantaneous, and depending on network conditions, can take several minutes to get to your email server in the first place; . You should never rely on non-realtime communication methods for things that require immediate response. Use the phone or IM if it's that important.

As a busy professional, I feel I'm qualified to say, "chill out." The extra 30 seconds to get that email message are not going to kill you. I guess I don't see the advantage of push email. There are so many other improvements that could have been made to make the experience better.

We have an OWA site but I don't know how to set-up an application to grab if via POP. Can someone please explain ?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via POP every couple minutes?

Exchange does not support POP. Exchange supports its own proprietary protocol through Outlook and the POS MacOS X app, Entourage 2004. Exchange also supports IMAP, but your IT staff has to enable it. However, many Exchange administrators will not allow Outlook or IMAP access outside the firewall. In that event, Outlook Web Access is your only option.

TPALTony

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
If you have Outlook Web Access on your server, why not just use that for instant gratification and set your Mail application to grab it all via (Typo: IMAP) every couple minutes?

Honestly, I agree. But 15 minutes (the minimum interval iPhone Mail.app will let you set) is too long. The quickest and easiest fix Apple could introduce would be to add 10, 5, 2 and 1 minute retrieval options. I suspect it's set to 15 minimum to keep ATT happy that people's iPhones won't be hammering the EDGE network. :)

be well

t

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.