Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Hey everybody...I was planning on adding some more ram to my g3 tray loading iMac, so I opened up the case and went to see how much ram is in each slot. (removed the processor board and such) I closed it back up, (with a degree of difficulty...those things are hard to put back), plugged it in and turned it on. All I hear are the fans, and a glowing orange light on the power button. I also can't eject the CD drive.

Is this a matter of a loose cable on the logic board, or did I seriously screw up my iMac? I'd rather have a working machine then a dang Macquarium. I was fairly gentle with it, made sure to discharge my static, and triple checked the cables before closing the case.

Thanks for the help, ya'll.

MattyP

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
San Francisco
You may have unintentionally un-seated the ram... I know it is a pain in the butt but try to dissasemble and try to push the ram all the way into it's slot and see if this is the problem. Oh- Before you do this try to hit the reset button and/or zap the pram(http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238). Probably wont do the trick, but if it does it means not having to deal with that plastic shell and all of those cursed screws.

Hey everybody...I was planning on adding some more ram to my g3 tray loading iMac, so I opened up the case and went to see how much ram is in each slot. (removed the processor board and such) I closed it back up, (with a degree of difficulty...those things are hard to put back), plugged it in and turned it on. All I hear are the fans, and a glowing orange light on the power button.

Is this a matter of a loose cable on the logic board, or did I seriously screw up my iMac? I'd rather have a working machine then a dang Macquarium. I was fairly gentle with it, made sure to discharge my static, and triple checked the cables before closing the case.

Thanks for the help, ya'll.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Thanks for the response.

I did unseat both ram sticks, but I put both of them back into place, at least I thought so.

What worries me most is the display doesnt turn on, the button on the CD drive doesn't do anything, and the reset/shutdown button that you push with a paper clip on the side of the thing (which is on the logic board) doesn't work, which means that it sounds like its the whole logic board.

EDIT: I found this thread on another board that has symptoms just like mine does...
http://www.macfixitforums.com/php/s...47039&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=31&fpart=1

One person's solution was to just reseat the processor and memory card. Since I was just fooling around with that exact card, that might be a good idea. I'm going to go try that tomorrow, but if anybody still has any ideas, please, let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.