Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The son of Hartmut Esslinger, a designer for Apple in the early 80s posted a collection of never before published images of Apple Designs from the early 80s including several Apple phone designs.

5b1169e356_300.jpg

This design resembles Apple's Apple //c design.

Article Link

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
it makes me want apple to incorporate phone capabilities in all macs. just plug in a phone line (in addition to support for voip) and dial away.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
some cool looking stuff. Interesting to see. Jobs was at apple then. In the images, I saw the apple phone, and a cube computer design. Both which jobs revisited upon returning. I wonder how much of that stuff is representative of Steve Jobs, and if any of that is still floating around in his head for product ideas.

I assume that triangle thing was a mouse, it actually looked pretty comfortable in the hand for being so angular.

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania

"I know that hand. It was in the fall 1973 Bulova watch catalog." - Derrick Zoolander

Interesting stuff, I wonder if the bill collectors would still charge a fee for check by phone. This also brought back to mind the AT&T video phones, what ever happened to them?

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Wow some of these are so cool! :D This Macintosh design almost looks like an iMac.

Plus I'm sure this would of ended up worse than the puck-mouse, hehe :) Great story!

Scottgfx

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2002
Fort Myers, FL
The son of Hartmut Esslinger, a designer for Apple in the early 80s posted a collection of never before published images of Apple Designs from the early 80s including several Apple phone designs.

Perhaps it was because of the breakup of AT&T in the early 1980's, but it seems everyone was working on phones. As evidenced by this...

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ataritel/index.html

Atari actually had some good industrial design back in the day. Too bad they got caught up in the price war with Commodore.

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
nostaws said:
In the images, I saw the apple phone, and a cube computer design. Both which jobs revisited upon returning. I wonder how much of that stuff is representative of Steve Jobs, and if any of that is still floating around in his head for product ideas.

Well I think the Cube was probably derived from his NeXT origins, personally. Plus it would appear he's always been/still is fascinated with cube designs (NeXTCube, G4 Cube, Fifth Avenue Apple Store). But I, too, have always wondered if he trawled through Apple's past when he returned in '97.

I mean, it's quite amazing how a lot of those designs reflect current and recent Apple products. As LimeiBook86 pointed out, this looks like the G3 iMac.. This looks like the iBook/MacBook, or then-future Apple laptops. Leopard's Stacks dates from around 1994, and I'm sure there are a many more unutilized prototypes/ideas that have since been implemented that we don't know about. And if the naming on the images is accurate, it would seem certain names even came from that foregone era as well.

Interesting stuff, indeed.

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
Forgot the Apple Paladin

Apple actually shipped 20 or so (for beta testing) of the The Paladin which was a Phone/Fax/Computer/Scanner/Copier/Printer. It was based on the PowerBook Duo. I owned one in 2002 and sold it a few months later on eBay. I'm surprised this was left out of the mix. Good article though.

front.jpg

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I'm surprised this was left out of the mix.
The images linked in the OP are from frog design. That project was from after their relationship with Apple had fallen apart.

Well I think the Cube was probably derived from his NeXT origins, personally.
Kinda sorta. frog did the cube, so there is a relationship of a kind to the sketches and mockups seen here.

thejoshu

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2003
Many of these (all? I'd have to take a look) were published in Paul Kunkel's excellent coffee-table book AppleDesign. Good luck finding a copy.

kdarling

macrumors P6
So where is Apple and their home phone now? We need one.

Verizon has stepped in with their new Hub using VOIP, with 800x480 touchscreen and neat little widgets for family use:

patterson-42527461-1233262878.jpg

I think this will be a year of home convergence. I have an HP Touchsmart in the kitchen, which is used by everyone for surfing, weather reports, TV Guide, notes and especially video Skyping. It can DVR too, with a cable attached. Also has voice control. It just needs a landline phone connection as well.

Nokia's been working for years on integrating smartphones with home entertainment systems and so forth.

Should be fun. Can't wait. Apple needs to be in this arena, and not just with Apple TV.

WPB2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2008
Southeast, LA
it makes me want apple to incorporate phone capabilities in all macs. just plug in a phone line (in addition to support for voip) and dial away.

Dude what are you talking about. You want to use you mac as a telephone (PSDN). That is a step backward. How about Skype, google talk, or the many other VOIP services out there. There are way too many to name.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
It would be interesting to see the impact that these earlier Apple phones would have had on Apple's entry to the cell phone market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.